COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
raulduke
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: Northern Expressway | 22km

#286 Post by raulduke » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:45 pm

I work on the project and although i find the roundabouts uncomfortable to drive around, traffic lights are a pain in the arse.

A jihad on traffic lights!

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#287 Post by Hooligan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 pm

raulduke wrote:I work on the project and although i find the roundabouts uncomfortable to drive around, traffic lights are a pain in the arse.

A jihad on traffic lights!

The Roundabouts arent the problem, it's the new windy roads that lead to them.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#288 Post by raulduke » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:10 am

Shuz wrote:I can understand the whole road detours thing; but why couldn't the wacky diversion have been the road detour whilst they rebuilt the existing road?
i honestly don't know, i imagine it would take longer to build the tie in under the bridges that way.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#289 Post by Shuz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:06 pm

I drunk understand what you are saying. :P

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#290 Post by Benski81 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 pm

I drove over this the other day going out to see the olds and it's looking dangerously close to being finished. Does anyone know what the estimated completion date for it is?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#291 Post by Hooligan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Benski81 wrote:I drove over this the other day going out to see the olds and it's looking dangerously close to being finished. Does anyone know what the estimated completion date for it is?
September.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#292 Post by Benski81 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Benski81 wrote:I drove over this the other day going out to see the olds and it's looking dangerously close to being finished. Does anyone know what the estimated completion date for it is?
September.
Thanks for that.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#293 Post by muzzamo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Has anyone read much detail about the pedestrian path/veloway? It doesn't seem to be particularly integrated into the design and you would assume it is not grade separated like the southern expressway one.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#294 Post by Westside » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Shuz wrote:I can understand the whole road detours thing; but why couldn't the wacky diversion have been the road detour whilst they rebuilt the existing road?
Because then they'd have to build two roads for each intersetion. One for the temp rd and one for the final overpass.

Note other bridges around Adelaide and you will see they don't follow the original road: Ie Grand Junction Rd over Gawler and Port Adelaide Train Lines. South Rd under Anzac Hwy is to the West of the original alignment. There are a lot more examples i'm sure. It makes a lot of sense really.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#295 Post by 85trainfan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Westside wrote:
Because then they'd have to build two roads for each intersetion. One for the temp rd and one for the final overpass.

Note other bridges around Adelaide and you will see they don't follow the original road: Ie Grand Junction Rd over Gawler and Port Adelaide Train Lines. South Rd under Anzac Hwy is to the West of the original alignment. There are a lot more examples i'm sure. It makes a lot of sense really.
Long time reader, but first post, so here goes

So what happened when the "Southern Expressway" was built? Honeypot Rd,Flaxmill Rd and Young street are built on there original alignment.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#296 Post by DM8 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 am

Cost cutting really. To keep the original alignment, they have two choices - close the existing road while roadworks are underway, or build a deviation road. The former typically hurts the community, and the latter is probably seen by the state as a waste of money (given that the deviation road has to be later demolished). So the alternative - they build on a new alignment.

Personally though, I think the new alignments on the Northern Expressway just look manky. Perth has spoilt me a bit - I remember the deviations on Hodges Drv/Shenton Ave when they extended the Mitchell Freeway.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#297 Post by Archer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 am

85trainfan wrote:
Westside wrote:

Long time reader, but first post, so here goes

So what happened when the "Southern Expressway" was built? Honeypot Rd,Flaxmill Rd and Young street are built on there original alignment.
Deviation roads were used, certainly for Beach road at least anyway. but this was easier at the time because the bridges were built before the earthworks were done to carve out the new level for the expressway.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#298 Post by RayRichards » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:02 pm

One aspect I really like about this project is the attention to landscape design and storm water drainage issues. Many many NATIVE scrubs and trees have been planted which suits our great and diverse birdlife. :cheers:

I have my own little bit of goss. While drinking at a favourite haunt of mine, a typical Victorian whinger drinking next to me said he was getting ready to move back to Vic because the mighty Fulton Hogan will not be getting any more good contracts with our state, like this beauty they are currently working on.

When this road opens in Sept this year whenever. And when Buckland park starts breeding its style of bad taste housing. Port Wakefield rd between PREXY AND NEXY will be a right prick. You wait and see.

Ray.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#299 Post by Nort » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 pm

RayRichards wrote: When this road opens in Sept this year whenever. And when Buckland park starts breeding its style of bad taste housing. Port Wakefield rd between PREXY AND NEXY will be a right prick. You wait and see.

Ray.
Good job they are already planning around that. :D

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/northern_connector

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#300 Post by RayRichards » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Nort wrote:
RayRichards wrote: When this road opens in Sept this year whenever. And when Buckland park starts breeding its style of bad taste housing. Port Wakefield rd between PREXY AND NEXY will be a right prick. You wait and see.

Ray.
Good job they are already planning around that. :D

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/northern_connector
:D Thanks for the link Nort!

Would this new road make the current PREXY stretch between South Rd and Port Wakefield pretty much obsolete? As it is mostly wetlands either side of the road wouldnt imagine much traffic through it. I have used this road many many times with little drama. Its a good road. Saves going through Cavan Road like the old days!

Ray.