Water the freaking lawns

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Water the freaking lawns

#1 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 am

I’ve now been to two of the openings of the festivals in Adelaide one of Rymil Park and the other on Vic Park. I cannot fathom why the Council or the State government has not watered the lawns on either site leading up to the event?
Sure we are in a drought but considering these are meant to be an international event yet we offer up dustbowls for everyone to sit on. Given the recycled water program I would be happy to see the lawns kept green all year round given the space is meant to be a public area for people to enjoy all year round. (I realise that we would get a few selfish gardeners having a cry about it but we can just tell the to toughen up).

Sitting there in the dust and dead grass was just a gentle reminder that yes, we are in Adelaide.

P.S: I don’t need people trying to take the morale high ground in relation to the drought and farmers.

So to the ACC or the State Government, get it right and water the lawns for the public spaces, especially those to be used for public events

Nort

Re: Water the freaking lawns

#2 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 am

capitalist wrote:I’ve now been to two of the openings of the festivals in Adelaide one of Rymil Park and the other on Vic Park. I cannot fathom why the Council or the State government has not watered the lawns on either site leading up to the event?
Sure we are in a drought but considering these are meant to be an international event yet we offer up dustbowls for everyone to sit on. Given the recycled water program I would be happy to see the lawns kept green all year round given the space is meant to be a public area for people to enjoy all year round. (I realise that we would get a few selfish gardeners having a cry about it but we can just tell the to toughen up).

Sitting there in the dust and dead grass was just a gentle reminder that yes, we are in Adelaide.

P.S: I don’t need people trying to take the morale high ground in relation to the drought and farmers.

So to the ACC or the State Government, get it right and water the lawns for the public spaces, especially those to be used for public events
I totally disagree. We are in a drought, to water lawns just to look nice when we are telling farmers they cannot have enough water to keep their trees alive would be entirely inappropriate.

They are getting it right, soon there will be recycled water piped in to the city and many of the parks will be able to be green again.

Waewick

#3 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:06 am

But the farmers water allocations and the Cities water supply are two separate things.

I realise it may make some city people feel warm and fuzzy for having dead grass in the their public spaces but in terms of the farmers plight its irrelevant and almost insulting it would be akin to me buying Maccas 4 nights a week instead of 5 to make the starving people in Africa feel better because I’m giving up something. The wholoe thing is like buying a hybrid car atm, alot of talk but not much impact in real terms.

If you talk to any farmer who was a good business person in the first place, water allocations aren’t the problem, the majority of good farmers have got through water allocation reductions fine, reduced prices and a higher dollar have a far greater impact than water restrictions because they aren’t making money. So trees are dying because the economic conditions aren't suited to keeping them alive.

I can understand as a whole the city populations trying to reduce consumption (despite the relative small amount of water we actually use) but public spaces should remain green, I would expect with the recycled water coming through the parklands are green 12 months of the year. It would be a waste of time otherwise.

rhino

#4 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:55 am

capitalist wrote:If you talk to any farmer who was a good business person in the first place, water allocations aren’t the problem
So the citrus growers and stone fruit farmers in the Riverland were never good business people in the first place? Is that what you're saying?
cheers,
Rhino

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:08 pm

It would be an incredible waste of water, and not for the reason you think.

The majority of the grass in Rundle Park was green before the Garden of Unearthly Delights set it self up.
Not long after the green was gone.

The reason for this is that you have thousands of people every night walking on it.

The Festival opening last Saturday in Victoria Park, had 70,000 people.
The Fringe opening and parade the other week had over 80,000 people.
Every night in the Garden there is at least a few thousand people who pass through.

You can try water the grass during these events after hours, but it wont make a difference.

We have an extreme climate, hot dry summers. We have a limited water supply.
Even when desal comes online, and with the new pipeline, there are better uses for the water.

Waewick

#6 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 pm

rhino wrote:
capitalist wrote:If you talk to any farmer who was a good business person in the first place, water allocations aren’t the problem
So the citrus growers and stone fruit farmers in the Riverland were never good business people in the first place? Is that what you're saying?
nope, thats not what i'm saying.

for the vast majority of them it didn't make economic sense to continue operations and a consequence of their product being uncompetitive on the market for reasons such as cheap imports.

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree, perhaps being green all year round is a bit of a extreme measure and I’m happy to concede that.

But I still firmly believe they can get them green for special events for designated areas. Yes the wear factor will come into play eventually but the parklands are green within days of rain when winter comes, starting 3 weeks out and watering once a week will keep them green even on the hottest of days.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:52 pm

It wont actually.
I've seen them turn a few sprinklers on a few nights in the Garden of Unearthly Delights once all the public is out, and the grass is still brown.
I assume they leave the water running all night. If that doesn't green up the grass, then that is telling us something..

It's just a fact we have to live with.
I've come to accept it for my backyard, which is dead at the moment except the plants which are drought tolerant.
But grass wise, it's starting to resemble a desert. Large patches of dirt between dead grass.
Come winter though the green grass will return.

Fact of life for Adelaide.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Would certainly be nice if the GAP (Glenelg Adelaide Pipeline) water was used for more than just the parkland trees. The ACC could (nay, should) pass on the cost of water usage to event organisers.

I've attended 3 Fringe events in the parklands this year (the opening parade, gluttony, amococo) and suffered 3 asthma attacks as a result of the dust (it's the only time i get asthma - looking forward to womadelaide).

Irrespective of the number of people trampling the parklands, it would make a huge difference if the grounds were regularly watered for 2-3 months leading up to the fringe. An underwatered lawn will easily be damaged while a lush lawn will readily handle the stresses of an event.

A side note: Adelaide uses "naff all" of the murray. What we do to save water is a mere drop in the ocean - symbolic at best.

[edit]i'm not advocating the use of drinking water for the parklands - let's use the GAP water!! it's a ridiculous situation that neither the ACC or State Govt are intending to use the water to green the parklands. Yes that's right - they are NOT GOING TO WATER THE PARKLANDS! they are only going to water the trees *sigh*
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#10 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:47 pm

maybe someone needs to lobby the government to seesome common sense.

doubt it will happen however, its like the dead trees down "green"hill road.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by jk1237 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:06 pm

both Rundle and Rymill Parks were as green as Ireland just before the fringe garden and events were installed, however the crowds ruin the green grass within 2 days. For the high pedestrian areas of the garden of unearthly delights, there needs to be temp bark chips, small pebbles or whatever put down. They do little bits but its not enough. Ive now gone full bore on my anti hayfever spray caus every time I go into the garden my nose goes beserk with all the dust.

HOWEVER, I do agree about Victoria Park. There's no reason why the millions of litres of the treated water couldnt have been used on it. I couldnt get to sleep Sat night caus I couldnt breath properly due to all the dust and stuff in my lungs after the opening. If this was last year, fair enough, but this year we dont have to waste 'fresh' water anymore, caus we now have endless treated water to use, so, USE IT.

One park that is almost more green than in winter is Botanic Park, ready for Womadelaide. Looks so nice and green and Womadelaide usually take amazingly good care of the park

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 pm

jk1237 wrote:both Rundle and Rymill Parks were as green as Ireland just before the fringe garden and events were installed, however the crowds ruin the green grass within 2 days.
Being a bit of a gardener, i notice the dusty areas consistent mainly of hydrophobic soil. It gets like that when not tended and watered consistently. So it's necessary to treat the soil (wetting agents + nutrients, regularly) until the lawn establishes a good root system (6-9months). The end result is stronger lawn that readily bounces back from periods of heavy foot traffic.

Problem being that all costs $$$ - so who pays? the residents of the CBD? or the State Govt on behalf of us all? I think this is the crux of the matter - who is responsible and who funds. The ACC obviously does not think it's their job to green the parklands...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm

You've hit the nail on the head Wayno.

The parklands border 7 or so councils, as well as the ACC, all of whom receive the financial benefit of higher land values leading to higher rate revenue. On top of that, the parklands are used by a vast number of residents from across the city. It's unreasonable to expect the ACC to maintain the huge spaces on its own, and that IMO is partially why they are in their present state.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by jk1237 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

very true Wayno, once the festivals start, they dont give them a drop of water until April, so it just turns to dirt even more quicker. I was wondering if they are not allowed to use the treated water (for example every night at the fringe garden, once everyone leaves) because of the health concerns. I dont mean sprinklers, but someone with a hand held hose so its doesnt get to the state that it is now. The entrance to the fringe garden on corner of Rundle and East is now 100% exposed, loose dirt. Its pretty awful really, and I must admit the mound where people sit and watch the buskers has not had proper grass for about 4 years