Murray Bridge | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Prince George
Legendary Member!

Re: Puzzle Park redevelopment

#91 Post by Prince George » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:11 am

Wayno wrote:Ask my 11yo daughter what she loved the most about our 2months in Europe. She'll say riding a segway in paris, horse riding in tuscany and the kids club on the cruise. She appreciated the other cultural stuff too, but she's just a kid!
So you rode a segway in Paris, but didn't go to EuroDisney? I can't even name a theme or amusement park in all of Italy, let alone specifically Tuscany or the Cinque Terra - in fact, apart from Disney and Legoland Windsor, I can't think of much in Europe (might be something in Brighton ...?). Did that harm your families enjoyment of the holiday?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#92 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:50 am

Prince George wrote:
Wayno wrote:Ask my 11yo daughter what she loved the most about our 2months in Europe. She'll say riding a segway in paris, horse riding in tuscany and the kids club on the cruise. She appreciated the other cultural stuff too, but she's just a kid!
So you rode a segway in Paris, but didn't go to EuroDisney? I can't even name a theme or amusement park in all of Italy, let alone specifically Tuscany or the Cinque Terra - in fact, apart from Disney and Legoland Windsor, I can't think of much in Europe (might be something in Brighton ...?). Did that harm your families enjoyment of the holiday?
Time constraints killed our planned daytrip to eurodisney.

But you miss my point (are you intentionally being sarcastic?). Many people (esp families) like a mix of activities while on vacation - and yes, they like doing more than touring natural attractions, wine districts, restaurants/cafes, blah. While traveling in europe we planned well ahead for *fun* activities for our child. Unfortunately, many people are not that motivated (or are simply time constrained) and would prefer the *fun* stuff to simply be bundled into a single destination containing adrenalin rides, fairy floss, hotdogs, go-karts, wall-climbing, mini-golf, bumperboats, and side-shows (etc)...

PG, have you ever dragged children around on a long vacation?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by Prince George » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:00 am

Wayno wrote:PG, have you ever dragged children around on a long vacation?
Does taking a 7 & 9 y/o on a 2 week, 6000+ km road trip count? Texas and back, baby :)

Wayno, I wasn't intending to be sarcastic, but was pointing out that your own holiday example didn't actually involve the theme/amusement park that keeps coming up on this forum. Segways and horses are a very different kettle of fish than an amusement park.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#94 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:21 am

Prince George wrote:
Wayno wrote:PG, have you ever dragged children around on a long vacation?
Does taking a 7 & 9 y/o on a 2 week, 6000+ km road trip count? Texas and back, baby :)

Wayno, I wasn't intending to be sarcastic, but was pointing out that your own holiday example didn't actually involve the theme/amusement park that keeps coming up on this forum. Segways and horses are a very different kettle of fish than an amusement park.
ok, yes you qualify by completing 6000+km on the road with 2 kids - :wink:

We would have prefered to visit an amusement park vs the effort involved in finding random things to do in various far-flung (english as 2nd language) locations.

Jeez kids are high maintenance...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by monotonehell » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Wayno wrote:Jeez kids are high maintenance...
Have you considered outsourcing? I hear that you can get African kids for around $3 a week, and you don't even have to keep them in your house? (Next time your kids are naughty use the outsourcing line on them ;) )

ACTUALLY, you can ride Segways and see horses in Disneyland!

There's quite a number of theme parks in Europe, one that comes to mind is Europa Park in Germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa-Park
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by pushbutton » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Nathan wrote:The problem with a theme park, is that there's nothing about it that can't be duplicated elsewhere. Why on earth would someone from say, Europe, come to Adelaide on holiday - to visit a theme park, which had 90% of the same kind of attractions as one in another European country?

Having long since left behind the age of 10, I can assure you that the Barossa and it's kind are far far better attractions than anything Disney Inc. can dream up. (and I say this having been a keen theme park rollercoaster lover).

International tourists go to the Gold Coast for the beaches, the "weather", and easy access to the Barrier Reef. Australian tourists go there for the theme parks. Whilst you could argue it being something to do for locals, realistically - how often would you go to such a place? I'd say once a year, tops, until you've been 3 or so times and the novelty completely wears off.

Adelaide needs interesting things to do. Not manufactured things to do.
If there was a decent theme park or better still waterpark in SA, I'd get an annual pass and be there a couple of times a month, more in summer.

I agree with your point that tourists can get theme parks in a lot of countries, but I do nevertheless think that a lot of tourists, especially families with children but not just them, see theme parks as a massive reason to choose a particular place. The idea being to come to SA and whilst here go to the theme park, but also see things like the Barossa etc.

I'm not suggesting a theme park is all SA needs either. To be a really big tourist attraction it would also need at least a few really good resort style hotels. We do have some quite good hotels in Glenelg and in Adelaide city centre, but only a couple and they are not resort style as they have no outdoor pools or decent entertainment. They are really designed primarily for business travellers rather than tourists. There's a place for that sort of hotel too of course especially in the CBD, but it's not going to bring in lots of tourists.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Theme parks wouldn't just be for international travellers of course. They would also keep a lot of people in SA who live here but go to the Gold Coast to visit the theme parks. They wouldn't need to and hence their money would stay in SA.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#98 Post by Nort » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Adelaide simply doesn't have the population to support a major theme park, people need to get some context. Alton Towers for example attracts almost three million visitors a year, that means everyone of a suitable age in the entire state would have to visit twice a year to support something like it here.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by Will » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:11 pm

pushbutton wrote:Theme parks wouldn't just be for international travellers of course. They would also keep a lot of people in SA who live here but go to the Gold Coast to visit the theme parks. They wouldn't need to and hence their money would stay in SA.
If only we had 300+ days on sunshine and warm temperature, not to mention the population base.

Theme parks wont work in SA, or any other state in Australia apart from tropical Queensland.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by yousername » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:11 am

Will wrote:
Theme parks wont work in SA, or any other state in Australia apart from tropical Queensland.
Maybe not in SA, but i wouldnt be surprised if a huge one was opened in the central coast. for example alton towers is in a state with no-one living in it, but with population bases a few hours drive away, people go and visit it.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#101 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:26 am

yousername wrote:...alton towers is in a state with no-one living in it...
The million plus people of Staffordshire thank you for referring to them as "no-one". ;) :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by yousername » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:29 am

monotonehell wrote:
The million plus people of Staffordshire thank you for referring to them as "no-one". ;) :lol:
The Staffordshites (yes, that is what they are called (in my head)), have a pop of less than adelaide. nuff said
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#103 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 am

pushbutton wrote:Theme parks wouldn't just be for international travellers of course. They would also keep a lot of people in SA who live here but go to the Gold Coast to visit the theme parks. They wouldn't need to and hence their money would stay in SA.
How many people realistically move to Queensland just for the theme parks?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#104 Post by Nort » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:57 pm

yousername wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
The Staffordshites (yes, that is what they are called (in my head)), have a pop of less than adelaide. nuff said
You do realise that the land area of the entire UK is only a quarter of that of South Australia?

If Staffordshire was the size of a country you might have a point, but the fact is that there are many millions of people living within a few hours drive of Alton Towers. I originally come from Manchester and as a child we went on a few day trips to Alton Towers. Doubt you will find many people willing to drive to an SA theme park from Melbourne or Sydney for a single day trip.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:18 pm

The furthest point in Great Britain from the sea is roughly 110km and change. From Gawler to Sellicks Beach is 90km and change.

Please don't compare Australia to Europe so carelessly. :)