COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Watch the sunset

#61 Post by gregrogers257 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:33 pm

Al wrote:One of the best things I like about Adelaide beaches that no east coast beach goers can boast about is that you can sit back and relax and enjoy a sunset over the water! That's heaven for me.
Actually adelaide is the only place you can do this really. In Perth in the afternoons its always blowing a bloody Gale !!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Watch the sunset

#62 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:35 am

Al wrote:One of the best things I like about Adelaide beaches that no east coast beach goers can boast about is that you can sit back and relax and enjoy a sunset over the water! That's heaven for me.
You can along the southern suburbs of Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula, but its alot colder down there...

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#63 Post by Captain Howdy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 am

Exactly, so that's a big vantage point. SA really doesn't maximize its potential enought IMO.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#64 Post by skyliner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:59 pm

JRJ from Brisbane again
As a former South Aussie (and proud of it!) I see a real nerve has been hit concerning Glenelg.

May I say I agree with those who say the GC has been over developed - the culture is too fast, critical and overbearing. People are complaining that it has reached the pinnacle as a tourist locality and is now becoming distasteful and plastic - Adelaide does not need that.

Glenelg retains something of a central focus as a beach suburb without the rot. I have been impressed however that some higher buildings have been built (not 70 floors as in the GC) - bringing in a new type of person into the place - probably evidenced by the caffe culture and different lifestyles. The place is looking newer, freaher, more vital overall.

After looking at the renders of the magic mountain replacement I can only say, like many of you, not up to standard - the Moseley Sq. (northern development) side is unimpressive - a great loss being the lod building that was demolished. However....

Go Adelaide, go!!!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:03 pm

I read in the tiser yesterday that Glenelg is fast becoming the Rental Capital of Adelaide - which is not hard to believe

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Glenelg eye is about to become a reality

#66 Post by gregrogers257 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:37 pm

According to the messenger construction is about to start on the ferris wheel. Apparently people have come from overseas to construct it.

Cost is $1 million.
Height is 25 metres which is about the same height as platinum (I think).

Apparently its not going to take long to construct. They reckon they'll have it up by christmas which is only a couple of weeks away and it will be in operation in january some time.

This should be really interesting, it could turn out to be a great development for glenelg... I can't wait to see it.....

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#67 Post by Captain Howdy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am

A little birdy whispered in my ear that the reason it wasn't constructed in July was because the council changed their mind on the cement that was to be used on the base. So glad it'll be up by Christmas, gonna take the neices and nephews down for a play :D Definately a big plus for the Glenelg coast line

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Messenger is bullshit

#68 Post by gregrogers257 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 pm

I find it hard to believe that the wheel will be up by christmas....

There's still no construction serious there now and there's only 11 days left until chrismas....

How long does it take to put up a ferris wheel ?

I think the article in the messenger that I read was bullshit....

bva
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by bva » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:49 pm

might not take long to erect as probably like a giant meccano set
so it might be up b4 xmas but in my view it would not be operational b4 then as health and safety checks etc would need to be completed

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Messenger is bullshit

#70 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 pm

gregrogers257 wrote: How long does it take to put up a ferris wheel ?
1-3 days

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Glenelg eye is about to become a reality

#71 Post by AtD » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:36 am

gregrogers257 wrote:According to the messenger construction is about to start on the ferris wheel. Apparently people have come from overseas to construct it.

Cost is $1 million.
Height is 25 metres which is about the same height as platinum (I think).

Apparently its not going to take long to construct. They reckon they'll have it up by christmas which is only a couple of weeks away and it will be in operation in january some time.

This should be really interesting, it could turn out to be a great development for glenelg... I can't wait to see it.....
If you still have it, would it be possible for you to please scan the article? I would like to use it as a citation for Wikipedia's Glenelg article, so I'd need the headline, date, page and author. Cheers.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by AtD » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:55 am

Nevermind, found it in eLibrary. I thought the Messenger papers weren't carried there, but now I know.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

Messenger is bullshit

#73 Post by gregrogers257 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:53 am

That article in the messenger was bullshit..... it's now two days before christmas and nothing has is happening at all at the site where the ferris wheel is going to be.......

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by how_good_is_he » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:59 pm

The Beachouse now reckon it should be up by 15 January...they just havent said which year.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Ben » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:11 pm

how_good_is_he wrote:The Beachouse now reckon it should be up by 15 January...they just havent said which year.
Haha I like that. So true.