Housing Developments | Southern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

New suburb approved

#1 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:41 am

From the advertiser.
DEVELOPMENT : New suburb approved
03apr06

FINAL approvals have been given for the biggest housing development in 20 years in Adelaide's southern suburbs.

Plans for the first stage of Seaford Meadows, a new suburb that will house 6000 residents, have been approved by Onkaparinga Council.

Onkaparinga Council General Manager Terry Sutcliffe said: "It's the equivalent of adding another Walkerville to Adelaide." The 130ha Land SA project is valued at $500 million

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:55 am

Great News for the Southern Suburbs

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Another vote of confidence in Adelaide.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Al » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm

That suburb is WAY down south. They'll need to improve the associated infrastructure to cater for the new burb. It won't be long before we annex Victor Harbor. :)

supernova
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by supernova » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:50 pm

i thought victor was already annexed?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Al wrote:That suburb is WAY down south. They'll need to improve the associated infrastructure to cater for the new burb.
Making the Southern Expressway a dual-carriageway highway and extending the Noarlunga railway would be a good start!
cheers,
Rhino

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by tidus0 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 am

Actually the onkaparinga council is planning within the next 10 years extending the train line to the seaford shopping centre now fully complete (the shopiing centre and colonades if you want to include too but it will be complete in november this year) well anyway there is another suburb newly made seaford heights um it is only 45 minutes away from city still petrol costly but not much to be all worried the expressway they should do that but should of done that to begin with and they need to have more tram lines like they did years and years ago.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

VACANT LAND DOWN SOUTH!!!

#8 Post by littledyl16 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:40 pm

Has anyone noticed the amount of vacant land down south. this can be noticed when driving down ocean blvd/lonsdale rd. There is heaps of vacant land in hallett cove and reynella, in the area of sherrifs and lonsdale rd does anyone know of any development planned in the area, i know sheidow park is rapidly growing, but i have tried to get in contact with marion and onkaparinga councils to finds out, but they have not replied, so i thought maybe a member may have heard something on the grape vine.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AtD » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:30 pm

[Insert standard 'suburbs are evil' rant here]

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Yeah but isnt all that land steep?

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#11 Post by littledyl16 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:40 pm

yeah some is, but have you seen some of the land in hallett cove, my aunties house is 2 meters above the road, and i have seen other houses on steep blocks.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:48 pm

I havent been down that way since 1997, so no i havent.

But the Dalmeny Park housing estate in Mount Barker has got some very steep housing blocks.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:22 pm

AtD wrote:[Insert standard 'suburbs are evil' rant here]
Dont you live in the outer suburbs?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#14 Post by rhino » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:33 am

Things down south are not moving anywhere near as fast as they are up north. The closing of Mitsi's engine plant at Lonsdale, and of Port Stanvac have left a big hole in the economy down there. Land simply isn't selling, and you could pick up a nice block of land at a good price if you are willing to travel to where you work.

By comparison, in the north there's a new freeway in the pipeline, heaps of new industry, and the support of 3 levels of Government as a development area.

The fact that the south is not on a route to any other capital cities is probably also responsible for holding things back, as far as industry/manufacturing goes. If the work is somewhere else, most of the workers will be living within an easy commuting distance.
cheers,
Rhino

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by Redback20 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:17 am

There's a lot of land being released due to demand - its vacant as its still pretty new, Rome wasnt built in a day! Try Land SA http://www.landsa.com.au/ if anyone is interested, its not really Marion or Onk councils.

So i dunno if I agree about the south rhino,
I'm building round Sheidow at the moment and land is getting snapped up pretty quickly esp given current interest rate levels. We bought our block in July and already the prices on latest phase of releases on Southbank have soared past what we paid, let alone the prime vacant blocks being re-sold privately. Ours feels like a bargain now :D

Land prices at Hallett Cove (where i currently live) have also soared, you won't get a steep rocky block round there for less than 1/4 mill and it'll cost you another 50k odd in retaining walls & footings before you even think of building. Our expressway is already in place and stretches almost to McLaren Vale, and with Hallett Cove Mall set to become a mini-Marion it's only going to increase. Express trains on the noarlunga line also mean the Cove to CBD in 25-30mins, too easy... I use it every day.

Realty agents told me the market is being buoyed by the higher than normal migrant levels coming to SA because of our currently relaxed visa options which disqualify many new arrivals from Syd, Bris or Melb at present. Many are attracted to the southern suburbs because of the sea views, beaches and easy access to town. Also told there's a lot of investors from the eastern states esp Sydney who are buying all around southern Adelaide at the moment because of the perceived high rental income/low house price ratios (we had offers on our house from exactly such investors all flying in for the w/e).

Check out Seaford Meadows and the new suburbs below that (inland of Moana & Maslin Beach?), 100s of houses in areas that were paddocks only 18mths ago with heaps more already undergoing prep for release. Same goes for Aldinga, Port Willunga, Silver Sands, Sellicks and even down at Hindmarsh Island now the bridge is built... no more cheap land round there. Watch those areas blossom in next 5-10 years, state govt please take note we need extension of Southern expressway and the Noarlunga line right down the Fleurieu! (yeah yeah waste of breath)