Students' high life at Urbanest
Education10 Feb 11 @ 12:00pm by Jessica Whiting
Perks ... Tenants Joshua Burton (front) and Genevieve Dauphinee in the common area of the Urbanest student apartments on North Tce. Picture: Luke Hemer
WIRELESS internet, a 208cm flat screen TV, pool tables and a city view are some perks awaiting students at a new residential development on North Tce.
Urbanest is a $63 million building for 503 international and local students in studio rooms or two, four and six-bedroom apartments.
More than 100 students have moved in since the building opened last week.
The complex is expected to be at capacity by the end of the month when university resumes.
Operations manager Andrew Moncrieff said students looked for security, access to broadband internet and all-inclusive rent when choosing accommodation.
Other features include:
* Staff on hand 24 hours a day;
* Security swipe cards for access to lifts, apartments and bedrooms;
* In-house laundromat;
* Bike storage; and,
* A large balcony with seating overlooking North Tce.
A sushi bar and convenience shop will be on the ground floor and former North Tce Italian eatery Parlamento will re-open on the site.
More than 80 per cent of the 176 apartments have views of either the city or Glenelg.
Mr Moncrieff said there would be a strong focus on student engagement activities, with welcome barbecues planned for residents.
Adelaide University neuroscience student Joshua Burton 28, moved to Urbanest last week.
“This place had a good vibe; staff were really helpful and down to earth,” he said.
Education Adelaide chief executive Denise von Wald said: “Education providers, property developers and local and state governments have worked very closely to support the continued growth of international student numbers and to meet demand.”
* Studio rooms are 12sq m and have either a king single or double bed and include an ensuite, desk and kitchenette
* Other apartments have between two and six bedrooms, each with its own ensuite and study area. There is a shared kitchen and lounge. Tenants get 1GB of internet access a month included in their rent. Bedrooms are 12sq m, while the shared kitchen and living space is 18sq m
* Premium rooms include linen, cutlery, crockery, utensils, crockery, an iPod dock and speakers, flat-screen TV and 30GB of internet access
* Fully airconditioned
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests