[APP] 51 Pirie Street | 94m | 21 Levels | Hyatt

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: PRO: 51 Pirie Street | 22 levels | 98m | Office

#181 Post by Omicron » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm indifferent. It's still just CC1 on stilts. It will probably be impressive for its size more than anything else.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#182 Post by Will » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 pm

From the Advertiser:
Council backs new city tower

How the tower incorporates the old building. Source: The Advertiser

THE original State Bank of South Australia building in Pirie St will form the facade of a 22-storey tower recommended for approval by the Development Assessment Panel.
A six-storey building would be built behind the facade and a 16-storey structure added on top. The 98m office building would be the fourth tallest building in Adelaide.

The ground floor of the $151 million structure will be used for retail and cafe space.

Because of the project's size, the DAP only has power to recommend approval. The final decision rests with the Development Assessment Commission.

Adelaide City councillors commended the design's integration of the heritage-listed State Bank building.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#183 Post by spiller » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Is there any info on potential tennants of this building? Or is it nowhere near that stage yet?

insert obligatory "wish it was taller".

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#184 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:20 pm

spiller wrote:Is there any info on potential tennants of this building? Or is it nowhere near that stage yet?

insert obligatory "wish it was taller".
Not officially but I know BankSA are looking for new accomodation to consolidate their Adelaide offices and with part of the existing building taking up by them it's a possibility.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#185 Post by Isiskii » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 pm

If I have to make one small critique of the building's design, is that I believe the facade on the building's northern elevation needs to be flipped vertically - so that the thinner portion stands above the high pdoium/atrium thingy, and the wider section above the heritage facade. I think it would help accentuate the vertical illusion of the building.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#186 Post by rev » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:34 pm

It doesn't seem that it really incorporates the existing building, more so it's just (planned to be) built around it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#187 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:19 am

Council planners 'undermine' heritage
Tom Dougherty
January 27, 2011 12:01AM

EFFORTS to preserve heritage-listed buildings are being "undermined" by city council planners.

Councillor Sandy Wilkinson voiced his concerns at a Development Assessment Panel meeting this week.

The meeting recommended the approval of a development at 51 Pirie St, the original State Bank of South Australia building. The facade is heritage-listed.

Mr Wilkinson said the development guidelines that call for an 8m setback from the road for all new developments in the area are not "wishy-washy" but clear-cut.

"This decision is denigrating the development plan. I am most disappointed that it has been recommended," he said. He said preservation efforts were being undermined by the council's planning department.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood supported the $151 million development, saying that the applicant needed to be rewarded for the proposal. The DAP's heritage consultants did not see an issue with the design of the 97m office block and supported the development proposal.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Mr Wilkinson was concerned the decision may be used to approve future developments that do not meet all guidelines set by the DAP.

"It will create a terrible precedent for other heritage-listed buildings, and other buildings in the future."

The office tower integrates the facade from the original State Bank building into its design.

DAP member Sybella Blencowe also supported the project, saying "the design is a unique solution for the site".

Mr Wilkinson stressed that he was not against the development, saying that the design has some "fantastic" elements to it.

"However, it will completely dominate the (State Bank of South Australia) building and will create a canyon-like effect down Pirie St.

"It will ruin this building and the streetscape," he said.

Nathan

#188 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:46 am

Is anyone remotely surprised that it's Sandy Wilkinson piping up again?

An 8m setback is a bit excessive isn't it? Pirie St/Waymouth St already has a bit of canyon effect - which I think works well for it. Obviously you don't want that all over the city, but I think it's perfectly acceptable for one of the narrower streets through the denser part of town.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#189 Post by Isiskii » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I think Sandy Wilkinson needs some duct tape around his mouth.

Waewick

#190 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 pm

so what are Sandys alternatives?

just leave the buildings as is?

that is no way forward IMO - I'd rather bowl them over.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#191 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Isiskii wrote:I think Sandy Wilkinson needs some duct tape around his mouth.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#192 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Sandy is the new Anne Moran

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#193 Post by iTouch » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm

when he says 8m setback does he mean pushing the tower 8m back from the front of the heritage building like Westpac house? If so, I can understand why he'd think that. However, in doing that, they should push the building up in height to compensate the floorspace which could essentially make it Adelaide's new tallest or 2nd tallest ^_^
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#194 Post by spiller » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm

rev wrote:It doesn't seem that it really incorporates the existing building, more so it's just (planned to be) built around it.
I agree, and that is one of the main reasons why it is lacking so much compared to the original proposal. It looks like two separate buildings. maybe more detailed shots of the side of the building will help it's cause, who knows until it's built, if it gets built. I think it would look much better if those giant stilts were wrapped in a curtain wall extending right down to street level. Instead, we will have to look at huge concrete pillars.

Nort

#195 Post by Nort » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:09 am

Isiskii wrote:If I have to make one small critique of the building's design, is that I believe the facade on the building's northern elevation needs to be flipped vertically - so that the thinner portion stands above the high pdoium/atrium thingy, and the wider section above the heritage facade. I think it would help accentuate the vertical illusion of the building.
That does seem like the obvious way things would be done, I suspect it wasn't though as it really makes the new structure look much less integrated into the existing facade. I did a quick photoshop edit to show how it would look the way you want. In the proposal as everything is nicely balanced, whereas with the thin section over the void it looks a little unbalanced.
Attachments
building_edited.jpg
building_edited.jpg (154.09 KiB) Viewed 4012 times