VIS: Glenelg ferry terminal

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Glenelg ferry terminal

#16 Post by rev » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm

I think this is what they are talking about, but this is a little bit dated it was built in 1999. Was built by WA company Austral I believe. There are newer ones only a few years old, but they carry cars and a few extra hundred passengers. Of course it is AdelaideNow, and they could be referring to one of the large ferries with 2000+ capacity :lol:
The "Flying Cat 4"
Length: 55,07 - Speed: 42 knots - Passengers: 438
Economy class
Business class

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Wayno » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:37 pm

it would probably make more sense to have a KI ferry out of Port Adelaide - using the cruise ship dock. A ferry from Glenelg would put more pressure on parking requirements (if it's a non-car ferry), or would introduce a degree of ugliness to Glenelg if loading of cars onto a ferry is required.

I'm probably sounding like a nimby here.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: VIS: Glenelg ferry terminal

#18 Post by AtD » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm

I can see where you're coming from. The end of Marina Pier does seem a bit isolated for this - probably a good 500m away from Moseley Square. Not the worst location, but not really the best either. The lack of road access doesn't help either. There is, however, already public parking under the apartment blocks.

To be honest I would not be surprised to see the ferry part of the plan shelved but the marina continue. A more logical place for the terminal would be at the end of the jetty IMO.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 pm

There's supposed to be a ferry from York Peninsula to Eyre Peninsula starting this year some time.
Unfortunately, that's not certain...
From http://www.seasa.com.au/pages/services- ... l-2010.php

January 2011: Construction of Sea SA's much anticipated new ferry, the Australian-designed Aurora, has slowed due to difficulties experienced by the ship-builders, a subsidiary of Dry Docks World, Dubai, based in Indonesia.

Sea SA Managing Director, Stephanie Dawson, confirmed the building company had recently faced a major restructure as it adjusted to a tighter economic climate, and completion of the new Spencer Gulf ferry had been stalled as a result.

“We have of course been disappointed, but we have been assured that the project will be completed and to the highest standard. However, at this point, the shipbuilders have not been able to confirm a completion date. We remain hopeful of completion mid-year,” Stephanie said.

The Wallaroo to Lucky Bay car and passenger ferry service had become an integral part of the South Australian transport network after launching in December 2006, popular with commuters and tourists alike. Since closing at the end of 2009, to build a new, improved ferry, Aurora, the return of the service has been greatly anticipated.

See http://www.seasagetaways.com.au/
Would the water be deep enough there for cruise ships?
No, not for the bigger ones. Cruise ships and 'post Panamax' cargo ships need more than the 12.2m LAT (Lowest Astronomical Tide) so the channel from the Fairway Beacon west of Outer Harbor will be dredged to 14.2m LAT and the entrance beacon will be moved 2.5km westwards. The channel is about 120m wide. The dredged material, about 3 million cubic metres, will be dumped in the middle of the gulf. The channel Queen Mary 2 draws about 10m, to give some idea.

The problem with KI is the monopoly of the Ferry.
The problem is actually monopoly of the ferry terminals. If SeaLink were prepared to share its facilities with another operator, competition might lower prices. I think SeaLink is the exclusive lessee of the terminal infrastructure at both ends - it may even own some of the infrastructure.

IMHO, this proposal is a thought bubble from Mr Makris. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it, and for that matter, to see if floating it is part of some gambit by Makris (conspiracy, conspiracy...).

BTW, to get hold of a ferry, all Makris has to do is pick up the phone. There are plenty of ferries of all sorts available:

http://www.maritimesales.com/Ferries%20for%20Sale.htm
Last edited by stumpjumper on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm

AtD wrote:Sounds very exciting, but it seems to be more of a vision than an actual proposal. I like the idea of KI ferries coming to Glenelg and giving Sealink a bit of competition.

There's supposed to be a ferry from York Peninsula to Eyre Peninsula starting this year some time. If this terminal is built, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Port Lincoln service trailed as there's already a fair amount of air traffic.

I've always thought it'd be cool to return the Glenelg Jetty to its former glory to enable cruise ships to stop there. It sure beats Outer Harbor.
Holy smokes, I had no idea they were still there!

sassylassy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by sassylassy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 am

If cars are to be carried by the ferry from Glenelg to KI - I certainly wouldn't like to be trying to drive up Jetty Road, Colley Tce nor the western end of Anzac Highway on a Sunday arvo to catch the ferry on time!!!!

Waewick

#22 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:46 am

sassylassy wrote:If cars are to be carried by the ferry from Glenelg to KI - I certainly wouldn't like to be trying to drive up Jetty Road, Colley Tce nor the western end of Anzac Highway on a Sunday arvo to catch the ferry on time!!!!

I agree with this

However it would make KI a more attractive option for a day out - the only issue being getting between the areas and to and from the major attractions would be very difficult

maybe they need to install some high speed rail :lol:

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by fabricator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 pm

This is the problem, without the ability to carry cars, ferry passengers would be limited to tour buses or hire cars on KI. It's just not a location you can get to see on foot.

Why the obsession with Glenelg ?
Would make more sense to build a new ferry terminal somewhere without massive traffic problems. Why not West Beach Jetty, I mean its much closer to the airport and still has lot of uptapped potential.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

rhino

#24 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 pm

[quote="fabricator"]Why not West Beach Jetty, [quote]

Probably because no-one can find it. And with good reason. There has never been a jetty at West Beach.

Or did you mean that breakwater by the boat ramp near the sewage works?
cheers,
Rhino

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by fabricator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Actually I meant Henley Beach, got too much of a headache lately.
All a remembered was there was a tram to near the end of the Jetty (it went via West Beach), would be good to re-instate that someday.

That breakwater thing you mentioned at the end of Barcoo Road at first seems like a good starting point. However its way too close to the main runway, plus it does double as a sand trap. Grange would seem better (longer Jetty) however its and old wooden structure and development in the area is limited by old buildings and the road layout.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Wayno » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:06 pm

The north of Adelaide is growing, so presumably an increasing % of KI holiday makers will reside in the northern suburbs. Why send them to Glenelg? Let's leverage the NEXY & Port Expressway and locate a KI Ferry service at Outer Harbor. Would seem practical (on many levels).

Also, passengers arriving on cruise ships could simply 'jump on' the ferry, giving them a reason to linger longer. Add a ferry bus service from Adelaide Airport and we're all set!

Unsure if the extra distance (Port Adelaide to KI, versus Glenelg to KI) is an issue.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by iTouch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Add a ferry bus service from Adelaide Airport and we're all set!
as well as one from TTP :) let's not forget, it's the North Eastern suburbs that can afford ferry services
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

rhino

#28 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 am

Wayno wrote:Also, passengers arriving on cruise ships could simply 'jump on' the ferry, giving them a reason to linger longer.
It would want to be a rather fast ferry to get them from Outer Harbor to KI, have a look around (to Seal Bay at least) and get back to Outer Harbor in time for an evening departure. I don't know if the wharf at Kingscote has deep enough water for today's larcge cruisers, but if not, I would like to see cruise liners anchoring off Kingscote and ferrying passengers ashore for a day touring KI.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#29 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 am

rhino wrote:
Wayno wrote:Also, passengers arriving on cruise ships could simply 'jump on' the ferry, giving them a reason to linger longer.
It would want to be a rather fast ferry to get them from Outer Harbor to KI, have a look around (to Seal Bay at least) and get back to Outer Harbor in time for an evening departure. I don't know if the wharf at Kingscote has deep enough water for today's larcge cruisers, but if not, I would like to see cruise liners anchoring off Kingscote and ferrying passengers ashore for a day touring KI.
The bay surrounding Kingscote is too shallow for cruise ships. Only smaller expedition type ships like TRUE NORTH can dock there. The grand majority (anything with over 4-5 metre draughts) need to anchor off Kingscote in Nepean Bay (Western Cove) at around 4 to 5 nautical miles (nautical mile approx. 1800 metres) and then tender their passengers to shore. A fast ferry (catamaran-style) with a shallow draught is not a problem, but it would have to make the trip under 2-hours each way. Penneshaw is in a similar situation where cruise ships cannot dock at a wharf, however they can anchor much closer to shore. P&O's PACIFIC SUN will anchor off Penneshaw in October 2012 for what will be the town's first visit by a large cruise ship. Hopefully the weather on that day is good or else they will not visit. That is the biggest drawback with anchoring in a not sheltered bay.

As for Makris getting a ferry, he is Greek, and Greeks have plenty of contacts back home where there are plenty of vessels laying about.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#30 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 am

Omicron wrote:
AtD wrote:Sounds very exciting, but it seems to be more of a vision than an actual proposal. I like the idea of KI ferries coming to Glenelg and giving Sealink a bit of competition.

There's supposed to be a ferry from York Peninsula to Eyre Peninsula starting this year some time. If this terminal is built, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Port Lincoln service trailed as there's already a fair amount of air traffic.

I've always thought it'd be cool to return the Glenelg Jetty to its former glory to enable cruise ships to stop there. It sure beats Outer Harbor.
Holy smokes, I had no idea they were still there!
There's a thread already started regarding a crusie ship terminal at Glenelg, albeit not correctly titled, but there is one. See: Glenelg Tourist Shipping Terminal.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.