[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#16 Post by Will » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 am

pushbutton wrote:Pants, I am just curious why it is that some people make comments exactly like the one you have just made about suburban centres shouldn't get bigger because it discourages people from shopping in the city.

WHY is it that you would like people to be encouraged to shop in the city, rather than the suburbs?
When tourists visit a city, they naturally head to the CBD. If the people of Adelaide shopped more often and in more numbers in the CBD, we would thus create an image of life in the CBD. This would create a more positive image for Adelaide; to have the CBD full of people.

Suburban shopping centres destroy the life and vibe of a city.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO]

#17 Post by Ho Really » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Will wrote:When tourists visit a city, they naturally head to the CBD.
For sure.
If the people of Adelaide shopped more often and in more numbers in the CBD, we would thus create an image of life in the CBD. This would create a more positive image for Adelaide; to have the CBD full of people.

I agree, but I wouldn't worry too much about this since Adelaide's CBD population will increase. The issue will then be whether Adelaide CBD can offer better shopping and trading conditions than the suburbs.

The Adelaide City Council, landlords and traders have to work together to make the city a better proposition than their cheaper suburban rivals. Also, we need good and efficient public transport to the CBD.

Cheers

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#18 Post by pushbutton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:38 am

A fair point I suppose, but I think tourists often will naturally head to the major suburban centres too these days and be just as impressed.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#19 Post by Pants » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:16 am

Will wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Pants, I am just curious why it is that some people make comments exactly like the one you have just made about suburban centres shouldn't get bigger because it discourages people from shopping in the city.

WHY is it that you would like people to be encouraged to shop in the city, rather than the suburbs?
When tourists visit a city, they naturally head to the CBD. If the people of Adelaide shopped more often and in more numbers in the CBD, we would thus create an image of life in the CBD. This would create a more positive image for Adelaide; to have the CBD full of people.

My thoughts exactly.

I know that people need things close by and to that extent have no problem with suburban shopping, but these massive centres that replicate and in most cases go beyond what we have in the city are sucking the life out of the CBD, especially on weekends.

Convenience is the way of the modern world, so the onus is on the ACC to give Rundle Mall etc a point of difference to make it worth travelling for, but at the moment, there's very little reason for people to come into the CBD and when everyone's moving about in undercover suburban centres, it gives the impression that Adelaide's dead.

If CBD shopping was made unique, people would presumably stick around for the restaurants, bars, cinemas etc and create a much better atmosphere.

I'd have less of a problem if people were drawn to other outdoor shopping/entertainment strips (King William Rd, Jetty Rd, Glenelg, The Parade etc) which, being outdoors, give a feeling that something's happening, but there's something wrong when souless suburban shopping centres are the city's most popular meeting/entertainment spots.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#20 Post by Pikey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:54 am

It's all about population distribution, growth areas, and convenience. The inner southern areas around Marion are some of the quickest growing suburbs in Adelaide, with the populations of these areas increasing rapidly. Colonades grew due to the massive boom in population down south, Mt Barker central is going to be purchased by Westfield and doubled in size, due to the population explosion. Shopping is all about convenience. For me, it's easier to get to Marion than the city for me. And presumably, over 30,000 people per day agree with me.

Plus, it's a private consortium, they don't care about how their expansion could potentially hinder the CBD. Marion is crying out for an extension (you should see the list of potential tennants waiting.)

Once the CBD population really starts to grow, the shopping there will take off. Since 95% of the greater population of Adelaide doesn't live in the CBD, and has metropolitan centres near by, why bother going into the city?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Ho Really

[PRO]

#21 Post by Ho Really » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:53 pm

The beauty about large suburban shopping centres is that all the shops and amenities are under one roof including a lot of parking. The centres are also fully climatised, great when the weather is hot or damp. You could practically spend the whole day there, shopping, eating and getting entertained.

Cheers

Ho Really

[PRO]

#22 Post by Ho Really » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:04 pm

pushbutton wrote:A fair point I suppose, but I think tourists often will naturally head to the major suburban centres too these days and be just as impressed.
That's also true depending on how long tourists stay. Those on short stays - either on tours or independently - will head for the CBD for its non-shopping attractions (museums, galleries, better restaurants, etc.) that suburban centres don't have. That's where the CBD wins hands down and should be capitalised upon.

Cheers

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#23 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:59 am

Pikey wrote:Mt Barker central is going to be purchased by Westfield and doubled in size, due to the population explosion.
Really??, I didnt think westfield would be interested in Mt Barker.

I knew they were going to do a few extensions to the complex, but not doubling the floor space, that would mean another level - sounds promising, hope it happens :).

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] #ONH: Westfield Marion Expansion | $350m | 19,200sqm

#24 Post by Will » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:49 pm

Westfiled is planning to upgrade Marion, in a $200 million expansion.

The project will involve a new supermarket being built next to K-Mart and the addition of 100 extra shops which will be located in a new two-level mall linking the new supermarket to David Jones. Currently there is a car-park on the site of the proposed mall. This new mall will run parralel to the existing second level mall.

Further enhancements will include:

*A third deck will be added to the carpar at the centre's Morphett Road side
*A three-level mezzanine car park along Diagonal Road.
*Expansion of the current food courts
*A new fresh food precinct
*Landscaping along Diagonal Road.

The expansion will increase the number of shops to 360, and create 700 construction jobs and 740 retail jobs. Retail floor space will increase to more than 150 000sq m, making it the second largest shopping centre in Australia behind Chadstone in Melbourne.

Construction is expected to start in 2009 and be completed by 2010.

The expansion is aimed at attracting high-end fashion to Marion.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#25 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Wonder if this will be one of the first new "Coles Super centres" Merging KMART and Coles under the one roof.

Can't wait for this development. So much going on in Adelaide at the moment it's crazy. and the mining boom hasn't even begun.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#26 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:39 pm

Brilliant news!
I cant really visualise it right now but interesting to wait and see.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#27 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:39 pm

With the Swimming Centre, this site will be massive!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[PRO]

#28 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:10 pm

maybe this area could become a second CBD? or third with Port Adelaide second? I wish......

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#29 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Jaw drops... that's awesome news!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#30 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 pm

beamer85 wrote:Wonder if this will be one of the first new "Coles Super centres" Merging KMART and Coles under the one roof.

Can't wait for this development. So much going on in Adelaide at the moment it's crazy. and the mining boom hasn't even begun.
I reacon, man what a day 31lvl office proposal and this :D. Awesome News!!

Plus with all the stuff going on in country SA, This state is really starting to boom right now (without anything to do with mining).

Good times for SA!!