[COM] Spark 88 | 47m | 15lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#46 Post by Snorkie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:38 pm

Snorkie wrote:
I was intrigued so I sent an e-mail to the relevant person at council, and the response received indicates that the project has been cancelled. Another interesting fact to note was that the building should have been opened early next year.
That doesnt mean its definatelly cancelled though if you didnt get a concrete answer, may have just been put back a bit for reasons unknown. Bit of a pity though I think cause we need a few more low-moderate income apartments to come onto the market as all the new ones that are on the market are pretty expensive and not too many people can afford 1 bedroom apartments for 400 grand plus.
Hate to say it but told ya so. Possibly the beggings of a student apartment boom... Theres a few smaller student projects hanging around, and with the precinct under way, will certainly relieve some of the demand for student accomodation. That said, it may not be the most attractive project, but in an excellent location, and will certainly do wonders for our skyline. Would love to see some renders however so not gonna get too ahead of myself, but i guess we will have to be patient.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#47 Post by Will » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:48 am

Snorkie wrote:
Snorkie wrote:
I was intrigued so I sent an e-mail to the relevant person at council, and the response received indicates that the project has been cancelled. Another interesting fact to note was that the building should have been opened early next year.
That doesnt mean its definatelly cancelled though if you didnt get a concrete answer, may have just been put back a bit for reasons unknown. Bit of a pity though I think cause we need a few more low-moderate income apartments to come onto the market as all the new ones that are on the market are pretty expensive and not too many people can afford 1 bedroom apartments for 400 grand plus.
Hate to say it but told ya so. Possibly the beggings of a student apartment boom... Theres a few smaller student projects hanging around, and with the precinct under way, will certainly relieve some of the demand for student accomodation. That said, it may not be the most attractive project, but in an excellent location, and will certainly do wonders for our skyline. Would love to see some renders however so not gonna get too ahead of myself, but i guess we will have to be patient.
Well I had no reason to think the information sent to me was wrong, because it has always being correct. However I now realize that what I posted prevoiusly was incorrect.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#48 Post by rogue » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:14 pm

Southern end of Victoria Street and Hindley Street frontage has been fenced off in preparation for demolition...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#49 Post by crawf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:40 pm

quick update from today

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#50 Post by Snorkie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:35 pm

I think something may be happening with this one. I walked past yesterday and noticed that they were building pedestrian laneways down victoria street, heaps of workmen around. Still would like to see a proper render however...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#51 Post by Pistol » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Yeah demolition has commenced with caged scaffolding surrounding this building and a drop barrier placed to protect the road that runs next to it. I saw a crane there on Friday bringing down parts of what looked like roof trusses. So with the demolition happening, is there any final renders floating around for this building?

bva
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#52 Post by bva » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 am

i think this article from the advertiser website related to this building but no renders unfortunately :(

A $70 million apartment building for university students is expected to attract keen interest worldwide.

The 300 apartments are being developed by Macquarie Real Estate Structured Finance, Built Environs Holdings and Southbank Securities. Construction on the site, in Hindley St, is expected to be completed by November next year.
Built Environs director Michael O'Connor said the project took three years to develop.

"We see a big market in student accommodation and we felt that it hasn't been filled," Mr O'Connor said. "It is primarily aimed at international students and there is a significant shortfall of available accomodation for these students.

"What they are looking for is something that is reasonably close to the universities and that is safe."

He said it was expected that investors would receive more than $200 per room per week.

The apartments, of one and two bedrooms, will be fully furnished with internet access.

Macquarie executive director Michael Hubner said they were keen to explore further student accommodation projects. "Most of these apartments we think will be purchased by investors because the beauty with this type of product is you are almost guaranteed 100 per cent occupancy," he said. "Trying to get a site this size, so close to universities, is very, very difficult."

Education Adelaide chief executive Denise von Wald said the development was great news for the state. "The role of the educational institutions, their core business, is to provide education and it is a great initiative for a private development group," Ms von Wald said.

"The provision of good-quality affordable accommodation is very important and is a key part of a student's decision-making process about where to study."

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#53 Post by rogue » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 pm

Pistol78 wrote:..... is there any final renders floating around for this building?
There is a render on page 42 (i think) of todays 'Tiser.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#54 Post by Howie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Yes, i'll try to get a scan of it a little later on. Didn't see any ground floor retail on it from memory yet the floorplan suggests that it has http://www.octagon88.com.au/floor_plans.html#floorplan

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#55 Post by Pikey » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:00 pm

Still 16 levels?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#56 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:50 pm

I saw the reder in the paper. It's a shame they are replacing an "eyesore" with an "eyesore". It looks like one of those cheap apartment buildings you'd see down a dark alley in New York.

Looked only about 8 storeys but didn't show the back part.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#57 Post by Howie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:39 pm

I was wrong, looks like ground level retail.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#58 Post by Algernon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:45 pm

Unfortunate that the old frontage isn't accommodated in the design.

Is that the only render in the paper? Going on that it's inconclusive whether it's been downsized or not. The setbacks seem to occur at the same height as per this render:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... ac91fe.jpg

Hard to justify not jumping in to the student housing with both feet. These poor bastards are eating each other for a shot at finding accommodation, and their numbers grow each year!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#59 Post by Howie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:51 pm

That's what I was thinking also... looks similar to the original proposal. And going by the floorplans on the website... at around 14 levels, that would equate to around 300 odd apartments.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#60 Post by Algernon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Could you imagine being one of those convenience store owners on Hindley St right now? Baaaaaaaaaaaaam!