Old Adelaide Suburb Names (that no longer exist)

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Old Adelaide Suburb Names (that no longer exist)

#1 Post by Waewick » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:28 pm

I was listening to the ABC about the disappearnce of Homes that had names - they also brought up Suburbs that disappeared - which got me interested.

NOw doing a google search has so far yielded by property buying advice and which suburb to live in as a migrant.

But I'm curious - does anyone know of any suburbs that have disappeared?

I thought there was a suburb of Ravenswood between Millswood and King Park which I cannot find any reference too but I would imagine there are plenty more.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Old Adelaide Suburb Names (that no longer exist)

#2 Post by AG » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

There's a few suburbs that have become part of other suburbs, and a few that have changed names. There was a suburb called Galway Gardens around where Marleston is now. Where Adelaide Airport is now there was a suburb called Glenbank which was mostly swallowed up by the airport. Thorndon Park (where one of Adelaide's first secure water supplies was established) as a place has gone missing as well.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:33 pm

these 2 suburbs still exist, but had portions carved off for new suburb names:

A portion of Edwardstown was renamed Melrose Park, sometime around 1990 if i remember rightly...

A portion of Happy Valley was renamed as Woodcroft, unsure when it happened
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by jk1237 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:07 pm

there's quite a few old suburb names that have disappeared

Part of St Peters used to be called East Adelaide (school still goes by that name)
Somewhere near Burnside used to be called Knightsbridge
Part of Kilkenny used be called Challa Gardens (school name and pub name still exists)
Somewhere south used to be a suburb called Kenilworth (football club still exists)
Most of Kilburn used to be called Chicago (which is why Kilburn football clubs are the chics)
Tea Tree Gully (the little old township) was called Steventon

forgotten the rest but there are lots more in the east and south. I think part of Rose Park was Brittania which is why there is the Brittania pub and roundabout

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by jk1237 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm

ok part of Thebarton used to be Southwark and and I believe a bit of Prospect was once named Reapham of something

Vee
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Vee » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Here's a couple to add to the list.
Apologies in advance for any errors.
Not sure when the changes took place.

Rosefield - around Fullarton Rd in Highgate. There is a Rosefield church in the vicinity.
Knightsbridge - around Glynburn Rd in Hazelwood Pk/Burnside. There is a Knightsbridge church in the vicinity.
Hammersmith - area in the vicinity of Cross Roads at Glandore (an area that once was going to be carved up under the 1960s MATS plan).

Melrose Park, I believe was the new name chosen for the part of Edwardstown on the eastern side of South Rd - to make it easier for emergency vehicles to quickly get to their destination. Edwardstown was a large suburb spread across both sides of South Rd. and there was potential for valuable time being lost. (The days before widespread use of GPS)

For those interested in the origins and explanation of names of (current) Adelaide's suburbs, this reference could be useful.
http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/ ... s_adel.htm

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Splashmo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 pm

http://mapco.net/adelstreets/streets.htm

This is a 1929 street directory of Adelaide, so there's stacks of old suburb names there.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Hooligan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Not sure if it counts but Elizabeth fields is one

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Aidan

#9 Post by Aidan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Before it was renamed Edinburgh, the area was marked on the map as Defence Research Centre. I don't know whether it was officially a suburb, but it certainly made it onto the street directory's list of suburbs.

Splashmo wrote:http://mapco.net/adelstreets/streets.htm

This is a 1929 street directory of Adelaide, so there's stacks of old suburb names there.
Unley seems to have been a big winner since then - it's absorbed Sturt Park (around Unley Oval) and North Unley as well as part of Parkside.

Hooligan wrote:Not sure if it counts but Elizabeth fields is one
It definitely counts.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Aidan wrote:Before it was renamed Edinburgh, the area was marked on the map as Defence Research Centre. I don't know whether it was officially a suburb, but it certainly made it onto the street directory's list of suburbs...
It's referring to the military-civilian research centre which has gone through a load of name changes (from memory so the dates and facts ;) might be different).
Originally (WW2?) it was a outfitting and arming centre for troops
Then in the 1950s? it was Weapons Research Establishment (WRE)
Somewhere 1970/80s its name was softened to Defence Research Centre Salisbury (DRCS)
Then later Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO )

Edinburgh - the Air Force base next door was just an omission on that map, I think. But the research centre was never a suburb, always a government base inside Salisbury.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ghs

#11 Post by ghs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Quite often suburbs are renamed or re-zoned

Mawson Lakes used to be called The Levels.

Also I think Paralowie used to be Salisbury North or Elizabeth South.

Aidan

#12 Post by Aidan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:Before it was renamed Edinburgh, the area was marked on the map as Defence Research Centre. I don't know whether it was officially a suburb, but it certainly made it onto the street directory's list of suburbs...
It's referring to the military-civilian research centre which has gone through a load of name changes (from memory so the dates and facts ;) might be different).
Originally (WW2?) it was a outfitting and arming centre for troops
Then in the 1950s? it was Weapons Research Establishment (WRE)
Somewhere 1970/80s its name was softened to Defence Research Centre Salisbury (DRCS)
Then later Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO )

Edinburgh - the Air Force base next door was just an omission on that map, I think. But the research centre was never a suburb, always a government base inside Salisbury.
No,I think the marked boundaries were as they are today. The Edinburgh Air Force base was definitely included in the "suburb" of Defence Research Centre, as was the DSTO, the Penfield railway line and the golf course. The Gawler Line was its eastern boundary, so it also included the location of the miniature railway, though that was omitted from the map.

Could Gregorys or UBD (sorry, can't remember which) have listed it as a suburb as a copyright trap?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Omicron

#13 Post by Omicron » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Splashmo wrote:http://mapco.net/adelstreets/streets.htm

I find that map very interesting, because so many streets have been laid out in suburbs that won't see any development until the post-war period. My street's on there, for example, but there's not a single house that was built before 1950.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Splashmo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Omicron wrote:I find that map very interesting, because so many streets have been laid out in suburbs that won't see any development until the post-war period. My street's on there, for example, but there's not a single house that was built before 1950.
It is interesting. My street isn't on there, but my house was built in the 1890s... it must have been part of some estate that was later subdivided.

Waewick

#15 Post by Waewick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:00 am

cheers for the input guys

I'll try to summarise them on the first post to see if I can get myself a bit of a list!