[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
metro
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Proposed: Westfield West Lakes extension

#76 Post by metro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:59 pm

crawf wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would use it though when it's right next to McCafe with it's pleasant ambience and comfortable seating area plus complementary newspapers to read
Sorry, but Lol
gotta love that pleasant ambience of Maccas :lol:

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by Nort » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 pm

pushbutton wrote:Anyone know what's being built at Westfield West Lakes just beside the undercover carpark?

Fencing went up this week but there's no signage up so far.

I'm pretty sure it won't be anything exciting but as nothing is happening with the actual extension to the mall anytime soon, well at least it's something!

My guess is it will be one of those awful "Muzz Buzz" drive through coffee shops like at Arndale. I can't imagine why anyone would use it though when it's right next to McCafe with it's pleasant ambience and comfortable seating area plus complementary newspapers to read, but that is my guess as the fenced area is about the right size for one and it can't be a carwash as there's already one right next to it.
Between this and your obsession with the new Maccas at TTP (which is very cheap looking inside btw) I'm beginning to think you hold stock in the damn company. :p

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Hooligan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

pushbutton wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would use it though when it's right next to McCafe with it's pleasant ambience and comfortable seating area plus complementary newspapers to read
Thats a little bit fancy

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Sorry I just happen to like a great coffee in a modern pleasant environment with a newspaper to read and great friendly service. It just so happens in my experience McCafe provides that much better than places like Gloria Jeans!

I'd certainly prefer that to driving next to a muzz buzz kiosk and drinking the coffee in my car!

mokeystyley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#80 Post by mokeystyley » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:26 am

DETAILS

Alterations & additions to the existing West Lakes Shopping Centre.
Including 3 stand alone tenancies.
Will result in an additional gross leasable area of 15,431 sq m.
3 level car park.
Associated landscaping.

Possibly one of the stand alone tenancies to be a 1st Choice Liquor Store....

mmmm coffee and beer!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by pushbutton » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Well there is now a sign on the fencing that says "Exciting new retailer coming soon". Doesn't give much away does it! No actual work seems to have been done on the site either.

I am not impressed that they're building a stand-alone tenency and therefore obviously reducing the number of carpark spaces. Especially when they're claiming that every carpark space is so precious that they need to start charging people to use them and controlling how long people park for.

The reality is there's just about the right amount of carparking at Westfield West Lakes at the moment and there is no real need to introduce charges or strict time limits. However by reducing the spaces available that may no longer be the case. Obviously when they do eventually extend the centre they should actually increase the number of carpark spaces to cater for the expected increase in customers. Instead it seems they'll be reducing the number of spaces if anything, thereby making it so that they do need to introduce charges and time limits.

In my opinion this all makes for a less enjoyable shopping experience for the customer. I suppose Westfield don't care about that as long as it increases their profits though.

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by mooshie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Heard today that it is going to be a first choice too Mokey.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by pushbutton » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Maybe but I'd say the site is too small and the location is totally unsuitable for a first choice. As I said before the site is about the right size for a small kiosk type building such as "Muzz Buzz" drive through coffee, which is why I guessed it would be that (I hope it's not though as that would really be a bit too downmarket for Westfield West Lakes in my opinion).

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#84 Post by Allkai » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm

mooshie wrote:Heard today that it is going to be a first choice too Mokey.
+1

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Ok, but the other first choice stores I have seen are at least 4 times that size.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#86 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am

From The Messenger:
West Lakes Mall upgrade date up in the air

10 Apr 12 @ 09:53am by Lisa Bachmayer

A TIMELINE has not been set for a major overhaul of West Lakes Mall, almost four years after the plans were approved.

In late 2010, the Portside Messenger reported work on a $250 million expansion would start the following year and be finished by the end of 2012.

But work is yet to start almost four years after the plans, which included a Target and gym, were given approval by Charles Sturt Council’s Development Assessment Panel.

Westfield corporate affairs manager Julia Clarke last week could not give a new timeline or start date.

“The project will not be running to the timetable referred to in…the previous story but will commence when we believe the conditions are right,” she said.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: PRO: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $250m

#87 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am

The expansion is commencing any time now. Worth $95m and will include a Target as announced today on the ASX.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: APP: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#88 Post by rev » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 am

A Target?
There's a Target like 6 minutes away at Fulham..

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $250m

#89 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:43 am

Ben wrote:The expansion is commencing any time now. Worth $95m and will include a Target as announced today on the ASX.

About time just wish it was a big W and not Target.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: APP: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#90 Post by pushbutton » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Well I'll believe it when I see it, but I would imagine an announcement on the ASX along with actual costings and who's paying what is a pretty good indicator that something is happening.

Personally I'm not very excited about this, mainly because it will mean they'll be installing the paid parking system. I know there will be 3 hours free, but for how long will that continue?

I'd much rather they just built a multi-level carpark if they think there's going to be a shortage of parking spaces.