Whyalla | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#The Ocean Eyre : Whyalla (900 homes)

#1 Post by Howie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:02 am

900 new homes for Whyalla

RHIANNON HOYLE, REAL ESTATE EDITOR

April 07, 2007 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

MORE than 900 houses will be built in the largest development to be announced in Whyalla for three decades.

The Ocean Eyre land release, bounded on two sides by Jenkins and Risby avenues, will be launched on April 13 and released over four stages.

The resources boom, coupled with a demand for new housing, has resulted in an upsurge of residential development in Whyalla.

Ocean Eyre developer Richard Wood said the project would be a significant boost to the whole Whyalla community.

"We're providing affordable land for people to build new homes on, whether to live in or to use as an investment," he said. "It's a statement of confidence in the future prosperity of the city."

Property in the regional city has been performing very strongly in recent times, with the median house price having climbed more than 33 per cent – to $220,000 – over the past year alone.

Mr Wood said the expansion of OneSteel, the proposed desalination plant and the booming mining industry had instilled a significant level of confidence in the town.

"It will be a model development using urban design principles that are energy and water efficient," he said.

The development is being sold through the John Martin and Peter Calliss First National Real Estate offices.

Stage 1A and 1B will be released next Friday priced from $70,000.

Stage one will involve the sale of 29 allotments.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#2 Post by bdm » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:21 pm

We should just abandon Whyalla. It should have never been built, and is the filthiest location in the world.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Cruise » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:21 pm

bdm wrote:We should just abandon Whyalla. It should have never been built, and is the filthiest location in the world.
now thats just a stupid thing to say

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:01 pm

bdm wrote:We should just abandon Whyalla. It should have never been built, and is the filthiest location in the world.
IMO If Whyalla didn't have the red dust problem it would probley be a really nice spot.

The city is well planned with wide roads and shopping precincts.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by bdm » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:08 am

It's well planned, very well planned; but so is Elizabeth.

It is the stupidest location in the world and a lot of the industry that was put there could have been put elsewhere.

It should be abandoned so people can buy GOOD houses in a GOOD environment. Not in a red, dusty shithole. Why not put the industry and housing into Port Lincoln? That place is beautiful.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:11 pm

bdm wrote:It's well planned, very well planned; but so is Elizabeth.

It is the stupidest location in the world and a lot of the industry that was put there could have been put elsewhere.

It should be abandoned so people can buy GOOD houses in a GOOD environment. Not in a red, dusty shithole. Why not put the industry and housing into Port Lincoln? That place is beautiful.
The red dust in Whyalla is a result of the industry. Moving the industry to Port Lincoln would result in Port Lincoln also being covered in red dust.

It is also not easy for people on low incomes to buy homes in more expensive places such as Port Lincoln....

Jayse
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by Jayse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:49 pm

What a pathetic, ill informed post.

Whyalla happens to be a bustling, friendly town, on the way up. The Steelworks are spending millions of dollars to greatly improve the problem with dust.

As for the stupidest location in the world ?.......how the hell do you work that out.

It happens to be only 3 hours drive from Adelaide, which i consider a shithole.

There are Iron Ore mines only 50 kays away, which provide very high wages for many Whyalla residents. And supplys the Steelworks with raw feed, which also provides many jobs.

Its located on the shores of Spencer Gulf, which provide some of the best fishing in Australia. It has some excellent camping grounds, beaches and so on, only a stones throw away.

bdm, i'll live in Whyalla anyday, over many locations. I'll have my good wages, safety for my kids and my fantastic leisure life. If you live in Adelaide, you can have your rat race, low wages and polluted suburbs.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Jayse wrote:

Whyalla happens to be a bustling, friendly town, on the way up. The Steelworks are spending millions of dollars to greatly improve the problem with dust.

As for the stupidest location in the world ?.......how the hell do you work that out.

There are Iron Ore mines only 50 kays away, which provide very high wages for many Whyalla residents. And supplys the Steelworks with raw feed, which also provides many jobs.

Its located on the shores of Spencer Gulf, which provide some of the best fishing in Australia. It has some excellent camping grounds, beaches and so on, only a stones throw away.

bdm, i'll live in Whyalla anyday, over many locations. I'll have my good wages, safety for my kids and my fantastic leisure life. If you live in Adelaide, you can have your rat race, low wages and polluted suburbs.
One ill-informed response to an ill-informed post. :oops: :roll:

Will409
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Will409 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:26 pm

The steelworks had to be put in SOMEWHERE near a large population to sustain it.

Jayse
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by Jayse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Will wrote:

Back that statement up Will, as i did :roll:

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:10 pm

Jayse wrote:

well said up to the last paragraph which was just slandours. I myself be from Port Pirie have had to face similar arguments as Whyalla residents.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:32 pm

Jayse wrote:
Will wrote:

Back that statement up Will, as i did :roll:
The only person that needs to back up their statement is you. To say that Whyalla is much better than Adelaide is ridiculous, in fact it's almost funny. How can you compare a city of parks, gardens, statuary and wide boulevards with a city that has lost 14 000 residents, a place where the colour brown predominates and is covered in red dust...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:46 pm

Jayse wrote:bdm, i'll live in Whyalla anyday, over many locations. I'll have my good wages, safety for my kids and my fantastic leisure life. If you live in Adelaide, you can have your rat race, low wages and polluted suburbs.
Here?
Or Here?

More photos of Whyalla - taken in 2003

More photos
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~krool/photos/sa/whyalla.html

After seeing those photos, Whyalla has a long way for it to become a premier city again. Everything looks so outdated and that reddish colour on everything would drive me insane, so glad I live in the beautiful lush green Adelaide Hills then that barren dustbowl.

Jayse
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by Jayse » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Ok, to be fair, next time im in Adelaide, i'll take photos of the streets after streets, and suburb after suburb of graffitied walls, and fences and buildings. Ecpecially around the Henley and Grange area, among many many other run down, sorry dirty suburbs. That make Whyalla look even lusher than your first postcard picture of the Torrens.

Graffiti of which is very hard to find in Whyalla. Not to mention the thousands of sorry homeless people in Adelaide, of which are also very hard if not impossible to find in Whyalla.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by bdm » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Ding ding! Whyalla in one corner of the ring, Adelaide in the other.... fight!