[CAN] BHP Tower | $250m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN] Re: #VIS: BHP Tower - $250 million

#31 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:06 am

yeah ok, so I am the douche bag for holding an alternate view and not basing my position on a bit of hearsay from a newspaper.

being more desperate to make it happen, won't make it happen.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by omada » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 am

This is like Currie Street all over again. I'll only give credence to this rumour when we at least see a proposal.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Just build it » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 pm

omada wrote:This is like Currie Street all over again. I'll only give credence to this rumour when we at least see a proposal.
Have to admit I'm a bit more enthused even by this vague rumour than I've ever been about the Wave Currie proposal being built. The difference in strength between the potential backers of the two projects couldn't be bigger. Whether it's in 5 years or 15 I'm guessing a project involving BHP to some degree is our best hope of a new tallest, especially if it recieves a bit (or lots) of 'help' from the Government.

[Shuz]

#34 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Assuming that the 'rumours' are true... excepting the 20-22 Currie Street site, I can't think of any other sites on Currie Street that are for sale/has potential for development in the short-medium term?

$250m is a lot money for an office tower in Adelaide! Just for comparision 1 Bligh Street, recently built in Sydney is 29 floors, 154m, 42,700sqm of space, all built for $270m. Factor in that 1 Bligh Street is premium-grade office space in the heart of Sydney CBD, where land values and rents would well and truly exceed far that of Adelaide's, just gives one some sort of idea about the standard that we could be expecting of BHP.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#35 Post by Zills » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Waewick wrote:yeah ok, so I am the douche bag for holding an alternate view and not basing my position on a bit of hearsay from a newspaper.

being more desperate to make it happen, won't make it happen.
Break out the kleenex, we got an emo kid!!!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:13 am

Waewick wrote:yeah ok, so I am the douche bag for holding an alternate view and not basing my position on a bit of hearsay from a newspaper.
As opposed to what? Your unpublished and unverifiable 'sources'?

I think I'll stick with the reported facts.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#37 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 am

I'm sorry, what facts are they?

That BHP has a presence and which it may increase as the mine starts up? (no commitment to numbers)

and a builder denying any knowledge of the project or even being approached?
"We established our uranium headquarters in Adelaide in 2009 when we created the Uranium Customer Sector Group," the spokeswoman said.
"Today, in Adelaide we are continuing to build the project team with around 700 people now in the Adelaide precinct, and numbers are expected to grow if the Olympic Dam project receives board approval later this year.
Advertisement

"This may require additional or new accommodation and a range of options are currently being considered."
if that = a $250M tower to provide a huge amount of office space onto the Adelaide market then I will happily apologies for getting in the way everyone being excited.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

Waewick wrote:I'm sorry, what facts are they?

That BHP has a presence and which it may increase as the mine starts up? (no commitment to numbers)

and a builder denying any knowledge of the project or even being approached?
"We established our uranium headquarters in Adelaide in 2009 when we created the Uranium Customer Sector Group," the spokeswoman said.
"Today, in Adelaide we are continuing to build the project team with around 700 people now in the Adelaide precinct, and numbers are expected to grow if the Olympic Dam project receives board approval later this year.
Advertisement

"This may require additional or new accommodation and a range of options are currently being considered."
if that = a $250M tower to provide a huge amount of office space onto the Adelaide market then I will happily apologies for getting in the way everyone being excited.
Of course, it's all speculation. But I'll take the paper's claim that's a distinct possibility (likely to have actually been influenced by people in the know) over your claims that it definitely isn't. Sure, it mightn't -- but stop trying to pass off that you've got any better idea than anyone else.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#39 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am

When did I say that?
to the general public they do.

Do you find it strange that it has been linked to a Victorian developer who has already denied any knowledge?

There is no agreement with the State to move offices here let alone build a $250M building.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong, and to be honest, roles reversed I would be telling you to stop being a party pooper
as you can see I have already stated that I don't expect others to take my POV as gospel but that won't stop me holding an opposed view given what I have been told.

so how about you stop being such a whiny so and so and concentrate on dreaming up this $250M development :)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

Sorry for the thread tangent, Howie. This will be the last I say...

Exhibits A and B:
Waewick wrote:from what I've been told BHP ain't coming here.
Waewick wrote:because guys, this isn't going to happen :lol:
Of many. Your cynicism might be understandable, but your unsourced naysaying isn't.

As for your piece of advice, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels you'd do better heeding it yourself. :2cents:
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#41 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm not whining..that appears to be your domain at this point of time :wink:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:41 pm

nuff said guys. put a lid on it. this thread reads like comments posted on adelaidenow...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#43 Post by Thanial » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Wayno wrote:nuff said guys. put a lid on it. this thread reads like comments posted on adelaidenow...
This made me laugh a suprising amount :lol: For those of us who want to envision this building then lets, for those of us who don't then don't. End of story!

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by AdelaideAlive » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 6383544431

Olympic Dam fuels demand for office space

Giuseppe Tauriello

AN additional 75,000sq m of CBD office space will be needed to support an Olympic Dam expansion, a Jones Lang LaSalle report predicts.

The report forecasts that during the first 12 years of the project, from construction through to full production, annual office demand will be heightened by an average of 35 per cent as a direct result of the expansion, peaking in year 12.

"We consider there is most likely to be a spike in office demand much earlier, with demand coming from companies for short-term project space as well as from BHP and its major partners," the report says.

Some 35,000 to 40,000sq m of space will be required during the six-year construction phase, when an additional 1600 metropolitan jobs are anticipated.

A further 40,000sq m is anticipated for the production phase, when metropolitan employment is expected to increase by almost 9000 full-time equivalent jobs.

JLL state managing director Jamie Guerra says the figures are conservative and believes the flow-on effect to other industries will boost office requirements further.

Adelaide acts as the global headquarters for BHP Billiton's uranium division as well as the control centre for Olympic Dam. There has been speculation BHP will either build or buy a new SA headquarters to replace its Grenfell St office.

The company has said it is working toward board approval on Olympic Dam project and will not make any decisions on office needs before the board go-ahead.

Mr Guerra said the extra demand is unlikely to result in major new office development, but will support new supply.

"It will certainly have an effect on the refurbishment stock coming into the market and calm some of the concern that people have with the extra backfill space," he said.

More than 90,000sq m of new and refurbished office space is due to enter the market before the end of next year, including Kyren Group's 19,000sq m project on Franklin St, and the refurbished 13,000sq m former SAPOL building in Flinders St.

The JLL report uses the relationship between gross state product and office space demand to predict future office requirements, adding the impact of the Olympic Dam expansion which is expected to contribute $8.6 billion a year to the state economy when operating at full capacity.

It uses the Brisbane office market as a case study, and the effect of Chevron's $43 million Gorgon LNG project on the Perth office market.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm

There was an article in the Business Section of today's paper also stating at that BHP and Santos have taken up space in the refurbished 30 Flinders Street (old SA Police headquarters).

The amount of space both companies have taken up was not mentioned, probably a couple of floors.

The new Santos headquarters were always going to be undersized. They already took up space in the SGIC building next door a few years ago. Considering it is a global headquarters they should be in a much larger/taller building in Adelaide. Their Brisbane offices are taller FFS.