Life In Australia: Adelaide - 1966

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Life In Australia: Adelaide - 1966

#16 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 am

the kids playing in the water near the end looks as if its the site of the current petanque/boce spot in Rundle Park. The bbq looks as if its over the road in Rymill Park

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Loved that film.

I thought the racetrack was Victoria Park at first, but then I saw Norfolk Island Pines in the background, and thought it might be Morphettville?

Was it Tennyson Beach that the horses went swimming at in the morning?

The golf course - I was trying to work out which one it was by the angle of the view of Adelaide in the background, but I couldn't recognise enough of it!

The restaurant/cafe where the guy steals a grape off the vine - was that the old beer garden at The Lion?

And the office building where the girls were working (in their uniforms, with the clatter of typewriters in the background), is, I think, on the corner of Flinders St and Roper St. No view of Vic Square out the window, I'm afraid.

What company had the white taxis with the red stripe? Maybe he was independant.
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:51 pm

rhino wrote:Loved that film.

I thought the racetrack was Victoria Park at first, but then I saw Norfolk Island Pines in the background, and thought it might be Morphettville?

Was it Tennyson Beach that the horses went swimming at in the morning?

The golf course - I was trying to work out which one it was by the angle of the view of Adelaide in the background, but I couldn't recognise enough of it!

The restaurant/cafe where the guy steals a grape off the vine - was that the old beer garden at The Lion?

And the office building where the girls were working (in their uniforms, with the clatter of typewriters in the background), is, I think, on the corner of Flinders St and Roper St. No view of Vic Square out the window, I'm afraid.

What company had the white taxis with the red stripe? Maybe he was independant.
The golf course is in the parklands near Strangeways Terrace (near Calvary Hospital), whereas the office building where the ladies are working at is the William Grenfell Centre at the corner of KWS and Grenfell. And the racetrack is Victoria Park, you can see the Queen Victoria Hospital and the old ETSA buildings in the background.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:52 pm

The beach looks to be West Beach.

The William Grenfell Centre has had a huge refurb since the 60s and look's very sleek and modern these days .

rhino

#20 Post by rhino » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:10 pm

I said Tennyson because a mate of mine says his uncle used to train horses on Tennyson Beach in the 60s, but I reckon it looks like my old stomping ground, Henley Beach.

The beach where the couple takes the little sister is Glenelg, although I suspect the view of it from a height is from Kingston Park. This movie must be from early 66 because I think I saw the Beaumont kids sitting on the sand there as the camera panned.

I'm gonna get hammered for that aren't I....
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#21 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:10 pm

ricecrackers wrote:by accounts of my parents it was a more happening place back then. it was also Australia's 3rd city
Adelaide has been Australia's third biggest city for most of its existence. (check historical records) When we came to Brisbane in 1986 it was still a few thousand ahead of Brisbane.It was well over 150th ahead of Perth. In the mall we had several departmental stores - attracted heaps of people. Eg DJ's, Myer. John Martins, Harris Scruff, Cox Foy, Coles, and one the east end of Hindley - Millers. Then came the 1990's.... :(

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by ricecrackers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 pm

skyliner wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:by accounts of my parents it was a more happening place back then. it was also Australia's 3rd city
Adelaide has been Australia's third biggest city for most of its existence. (check historical records) When we came to Brisbane in 1986 it was still a few thousand ahead of Brisbane.It was well over 150th ahead of Perth. In the mall we had several departmental stores - attracted heaps of people. Eg DJ's, Myer. John Martins, Harris Scruff, Cox Foy, Coles, and one the east end of Hindley - Millers. Then came the 1990's.... :(

well i remember the 70's. it was more lively then.
it is a theory of mine that the State Bank collapse was actually a case of theft of billions of taxpayer dollars. the effect to bankrupt the state, and privatize all our essential services being the end objective.
this same model has been implemented in many other places throughout the world.
(i dont expect this post to last the day out)
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Nathan

#23 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 pm

ricecrackers wrote:(i dont expect this post to last the day out)
Your post might, but somehow I don't think your new microscopic signature will.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Will » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 pm

The reason why the CBD may appear more lively back in the 60's and 70's was because that was the era before suburban shopping malls. Thus, if you wanted to buy soemthing you HAD to come into the city. These days, with the advent of large, suburban shopping centres, many people no longer have a need to come into the city, and our population of 1.2 million is diluted across the CBD, Marion, TTP, West Lakes, Collonades....

I was not around in the 60's and 70's, and too young to remember the 80's, but from what I remember, the CBD is much more lively today than during the 90s and 00s.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by iTouch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 pm

i was in town at 8.30am today and was utterly amazed at how many people were in Rundle Mall. It was as if nobody slept :P
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by dsriggs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:32 am

From 1954:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Exhibition Hall :(

Thanks for posting, very fascinating stuff.

Omicron

#28 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 pm

It's amazing how recognisable the CBD is in that video.

skyliner

#29 Post by skyliner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Will wrote:The reason why the CBD may appear more lively back in the 60's and 70's was because that was the era before suburban shopping malls. Thus, if you wanted to buy soemthing you HAD to come into the city. These days, with the advent of large, suburban shopping centres, many people no longer have a need to come into the city, and our population of 1.2 million is diluted across the CBD, Marion, TTP, West Lakes, Collonades....\
Exactly!! You wonder where all this will stop before the heart of Adelaide is eaten awa

Jack.

The Scooter Guy

#30 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 pm

18:55 - It's still alive on Nearmap! But the water is full of algae!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/