[COM] Torrens Footbridge | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive Upgrade + Torrens Footbridge

#16 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 am

mm42 wrote:Let's hope it gets built. The footbridge will provide better access to the Adelaide Railway Station and Glenelg tramline.

To use the King William Road bridge means an extra walk of at least 400m, which means a lot of people simply drive.
I know some people are lazy but come on, nobody's that lazy. You'd have to walk further than that if you did drive anyway. I think you're exaggerating the issue. Even Rundle Mall is 500 metres long. Should we build a monorail down Rundle Mall so people don't have to walk all the way from one end to the other? Give people some credit.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:19 pm

And in any case, if you cross via the King William St. bridge, the Victor Richardson gates are right in front of you.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:06 pm

I guess the bridge would be a further encouragement for use of the train system.

Omicron

#19 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Norman wrote:I guess the bridge would be a further encouragement for use of the train system.
Not really. You'd have to move my house rather than build a footbridge in town before I start using the train. :wink:

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by ReallyBad » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Omicron wrote:
Norman wrote:I guess the bridge would be a further encouragement for use of the train system.
Not really. You'd have to move my house rather than build a footbridge in town before I start using the train. :wink:
Oh havn't you heard - free house moving with every bridge over the Torrens... :P
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

skyliner

#21 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:22 am

That was really bad, really bad1

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Xaragmata

#22 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 pm

In today's Advertiser / News in Brief - page 25

(summary)
$15 million proposal to build a footbridge across Torrens Lake ... has been endorsed by the city council.

Preliminary plans by Oxigen Urban Designers were presented to the council last night.
(end)

Oxigen's web site doesn't have any more, but the small impression in the paper looks like the bridge,
if built, will complement the existing Festival Centre bridge, & will match the rest of Oxigen's work
such as Morphett and Victoria Street Bridges & Torrens River Walk and Event-scape.

Oxigen - http://www.oxigen.net.au/index.php Mouse-over the ducks to navigate. :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:55 pm

From the ACC:

Torrens Footbridge to link the City with Sport

Released: 25 Feb 2008 [12.00am]

Walking from the tram on North Terrace to the cricket and the tennis may soon be even easier if a vision for a footbridge across the Torrens comes to fruition.

In developing the next phase of the Elder Park Master plan, Council tonight decided to seek high-level discussions with the State government, SACA, Tennis SA and other stakeholders to determine the feasibility of building a footbridge from Elder Park to Pinky Flat.

Elder Park Events Space Stage 1 was developed in 2006/7 and included the creation of an event space between the Convention Centre and the Torrens Lake and a linking walkway between the Torrens and North Terrace.

The footbridge would lead from the existing plaza between the Festival Centre and the Convention Centre (at the end of Station Road) over the Torrens to the Adelaide Oval and the Memorial Drive tennis complex.

The Lord Mayor said the new event space and linking walkway has been incredibly popular, particularly during busy event times like New Years Eve and Australia Day.

“The tram has made it even easier for people to access the Riverbank Precinct, and we’d now like to see a link for pedestrians directly from public transport to the sporting hub of the City.”

“This will be an important step to creating a really vibrant Riverbank Precinct for Adelaide – a place where people can gather for events, relax with families and wander between the excitement of the City and the sporting events at SACA and Tennis SA,” said Mr Harbison.

“In endorsing this proposal, Council are now seeking discussions with the Capital City Committee, the Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure and other important precinct stakeholders such as SACA and Tennis SA to pursue options to fund this exciting project,” said Mr Harbison.

Minister for Infrastructure the Hon. Patrick Conlon said that he was “very happy to have discussions with the Lord Mayor today and I think the footbridge idea is very interesting.

“Obviously somebody will have to fund any infrastructure but, as a concept, I think it would add a lot to Adelaide,” Mr Conlon said.

Walking from the tram on North Terrace to the cricket and the tennis may soon be even easier if a vision for a footbridge across the Torrens comes to fruition.

In developing the next phase of the Elder Park Master plan, Council tonight decided to seek high-level discussions with the State government, SACA, Tennis SA and other stakeholders to determine the feasibility of building a footbridge from Elder Park to Pinky Flat.

Elder Park Events Space Stage 1 was developed in 2006/7 and included the creation of an event space between the Convention Centre and the Torrens Lake and a linking walkway between the Torrens and North Terrace.

The footbridge would lead from the existing plaza between the Festival Centre and the Convention Centre (at the end of Station Road) over the Torrens to the Adelaide Oval and the Memorial Drive tennis complex.

The Lord Mayor said the new event space and linking walkway has been incredibly popular, particularly during busy event times like New Years Eve and Australia Day.

“The tram has made it even easier for people to access the Riverbank Precinct, and we’d now like to see a link for pedestrians directly from public transport to the sporting hub of the City.”

“This will be an important step to creating a really vibrant Riverbank Precinct for Adelaide – a place where people can gather for events, relax with families and wander between the excitement of the City and the sporting events at SACA and Tennis SA,” said Mr Harbison.

“In endorsing this proposal, Council are now seeking discussions with the Capital City Committee, the Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure and other important precinct stakeholders such as SACA and Tennis SA to pursue options to fund this exciting project,” said Mr Harbison.

Minister for Infrastructure the Hon. Patrick Conlon said that he was “very happy to have discussions with the Lord Mayor today and I think the footbridge idea is very interesting.

“Obviously somebody will have to fund any infrastructure but, as a concept, I think it would add a lot to Adelaide,” Mr Conlon said.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:40 pm

It would be good if it was completed over Winter, as Adelaide United will have more games at Adelaide Oval this coming season.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:37 am

From the messenger:
Footbridge takes a step forward

Chris Day

26Feb08

An artist's impression of the River Torrens footbridge.
THE long-talked of plan for a new footbridge over the River Torrens linking Adelaide Oval with the Festival Centre has inched a step closer.

The City Council this week released preliminary bridge designs by Adelaide landscape architects Oxigen and Netherlands-based Verburg Hoogendijk, which is estimated to cost between $10 million and $15 million to build.

However, the council is yet to set its 2008/09 budget and will seek funding from the State Government as well as the SA Cricket Association and the Adelaide Festival Centre, before fully committing itself.

The 180m-long footbridge, which may double as a bike path, would span the river and banks from the Festival Centre Plaza to War Memorial Drv and the cricket-tennis facilities.

The council says a footbridge would reduce parking congestion at major events by providing better access to city parking and public transport.

A timeframe to build the bridge has not been set.

``I've been talking about (the bridge) for many years along with other councillors,'' Cr Richard Hayward told this week's council meeting.

``It will make a great statement that the city is doing things and it's a good opportunity to link up the two sides of the river.''

In a joint statement with Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon, Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the bridge ``was an important step to creating a really vibrant Riverbank Precinct.'' Mr Conlon said the idea was ``very interesting'' and was happy to discuss funding with the Lord Mayor.

``Obviously somebody will have to fund any infrastructure but as a concept I think it would add a lot to Adelaide,'' he said.

Meanwhile, the Torrens Lake this week was blasted with a chemically treated clay to try to clear a toxic algal bloom ahead of the Festival of Arts' opening night in Elder Park, tomorrow (February 29).

The lake was closed on February 4 because of high levels of toxic blue green algae, which can cause skin and eye irritations, dizziness and vomiting if touched or swallowed.

The clay is designed to absorb phosphorus which the algae feeds off.

Elder Park will be transformed into a Persian Garden for the festival and will stage regular music events.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Norman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Looks good :shock:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Looks average.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Will409
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Will409 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:07 pm

I like it. While it may not be the most ground breaking design on earth, it is certainly different to most/all other designs in this state.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Mants » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Will409 wrote:I like it. While it may not be the most ground breaking design on earth, it is certainly different to most/all other designs in this state.
it looks extraordinarily similar to the festival bridge and the bridge which links the holdfast marina to the pier.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Will409 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Mants wrote:
Will409 wrote:I like it. While it may not be the most ground breaking design on earth, it is certainly different to most/all other designs in this state.
it looks extraordinarily similar to the festival bridge and the bridge which links the holdfast marina to the pier.
Ok, I'm wrong then.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.