[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Oaklands Park Interchange

#151 Post by Will409 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks for the update Norman, what sort of camera did you end up getting. Seating looks like it is identical to that used at Mawson Lakes. In my opinion, a good choice because they are reasonably comfortable for steel benches.

Finally, the jumbo set was 2108-2002-2109 :mrgreen:
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#152 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Will409 wrote:Thanks for the update Norman, what sort of camera did you end up getting. Seating looks like it is identical to that used at Mawson Lakes. In my opinion, a good choice because they are reasonably comfortable for steel benches.

Finally, the jumbo set was 2108-2002-2109 :mrgreen:
The camera is a Fujifilm S5800. 10x Optical Zoom, 8.0 MP... for $299 :D

Similar to yours I believe.

Back on topic though, when is the station due to open? It looks pretty finished, bar the ticket office.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#153 Post by Will409 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Going by the photos alone, I have a feeling it will open in around 2 months or so at the most. When Mawson Lakes station was around this stage of construction, it only took a few weeks to finish off everything. From the photos alone, this is the sort of work that needs to be done.

-Landscaping/pavement
-Station wiring
-Seat installation
-Timetable information displays
-Enunciators
-Various railings
-Other minor details

Shouldn't be too long now since the hard part (the platforms themselves) have been done. Once the platforms are done, everything comes together reasonably quickly.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#154 Post by jk1237 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:28 pm

well it does look good, even if we're not getting my pedestrian bridges :) Even one like at Alberton wont be that expensive to put it. Ok I wont mention them again. Nice shots

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#155 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:48 am

Looks great, although its a shame to see parts have graffiti already. Also, I remain puzzled as to why the signage bar is orange and not blue.
Keep Adelaide Weird

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#156 Post by muzzamo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 am

from what i can tell there has been a security guard standing there practically 24 hours a day. It will be interesting to see how bad the vandalism gets once the construction is complete.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#157 Post by AG » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 am

This looks to be a great improvement over the existing station. Alongside Mawson Lakes, the new Oaklands station looks like a good template for future station upgrades and new stations to follow. That platform signage looks well planned as well.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#158 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:41 am

Great update. This one is turning out well. Such a shame we have poor quality trains pulling into decent stations. If the stattions were upgraded like this and we had efficient, quality electric trains a heap more people would use the system. Anyway that is stating the obvious, although maybe not to the government.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#159 Post by muzzamo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 am

UrbanSG wrote:Great update. This one is turning out well. Such a shame we have poor quality trains pulling into decent stations. If the stattions were upgraded like this and we had efficient, quality electric trains a heap more people would use the system. Anyway that is stating the obvious, although maybe not to the government.
I think that this government realises what has to be done, its just they know its going to cost in excess of $2B so the wheels are turning very, very slowly.

Resleepering the lines is the first step...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#160 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:58 am

There are quite a number of people using that station. A lot drive there with their cars and take the expresses into the city.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#161 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Norman wrote:Image
The only bus you'll catch from just to the right is if you throw yourself in front of a 24_ on its way to Marion, and it's a bit hard to alight if the driver has to scrape you out of his grille with a spatula.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#162 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm

They will probably re-route the buses to the station from what I've heard.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#163 Post by skyliner » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Impressed with the outcome. VERY impressed to see there is a ticket office. Are there W/C's as well. Both these kinds of facilities tend to be a draw card for more useage. Just think how good it would be electrified!

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#164 Post by adam73837 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:32 pm

I just returned from Sydney and by looking at Norman's photos, the Oaklands Interchange has a similar design to the Chatswood Station in Sydney which is also being redeveloped for a new train line to Eppig which will go past a few Uni Campasses, etc. The only differences between the two stations are that:
  • Chatswood will be surrounded by a glass floor and roof, whilst Oaklands doesn't have a roof over the tracks, only half of the platform. The convenicnce of the entire tracks-and-platform duo being completely covered is that if it's either raining or too sunny, you are guarranteed protection.
  • Chatswood Station is situated above the ground with the bus station/s underneath the platforms.
  • Chatswood has about 3 or 4 platforms, whilst Oaklands only has 2 -this means that it would be easier to cover the track and platforms at the Oklands Station than it wood at Chatswood
  • Chatswood Station has easy and convenient access to the nearby Shopping Centre. Admittedly, Chatswood is right next to it, but we could have a pedestrian skyway going from the station to Westfield Marion, with a 'junction' at the new State Swimming Centre
BTW, what's wrong with a footbridge?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#165 Post by Shuz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:51 am

This looks marvellous. Thanks Norm.

When the time comes and the upgrade of the rail network gets underway, eliminating level crossings would surely have to occur, but I can't see that working out very well here, given the 2 T-junction roads layout right next to the station.

Personally, I would seperate the roads with Morphett turning into Diagonal (adjacent Marion), and Diagonal(to/from Glenelg flowing onto the other one (not too sure what its name is) via two underpasses. It would be very costly...