COM: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Noarlunga Centre - Seaford railway extension report

#31 Post by Will » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Great news! Going to Flinders pretty much every day, any initiative that can ease the parking crisis at Flinders is welcome by me!

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:47 pm

all things considered the seaford and tonsley ideas never had a chance of getting off the ground until now. There was not enough existing trains to service the increased demand and they were never going to buy more diesel electric suburban trains and even if they did the track was in too poor condition anyway. Yes they have been shelved in the past but they never had any chance.
Last edited by muzzamo on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Will409 wrote:I wan't expecting that :shock: Anything you want to say about that Norman?
Yes. They keep stealing my ideas :lol: Might as well call it U6...

Well, this is good. Perhaps a loop bus to Flinders Uni will ease pressure on city-bound buses from Flinders.
Will wrote:Great news! Going to Flinders pretty much every day, any initiative that can ease the parking crisis at Flinders is welcome by me!
*Hugs already existing 240* :lol:

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by bdm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Driving to Flinders?? It's crazy. 199 here!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:35 pm

horay, great idea. If this goes ahead, get a lot more trains, caus this will carry thousands and thousands of people. Not only will it carry heaps of Flinders Students, but over 70,000 cars a day pass through that part of South Road, plus 15+ major bus routes, and a major hospital. Capture just some of those commuters, and we may need Japanese guards to push people into the trains for the doors to close. :lol:

And welcome fellow Port Adelaide supporters to the forum :D

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by muzzamo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:42 am

jk1237 wrote:horay, great idea. If this goes ahead, get a lot more trains, caus this will carry thousands and thousands of people. Not only will it carry heaps of Flinders Students, but over 70,000 cars a day pass through that part of South Road, plus 15+ major bus routes, and a major hospital. Capture just some of those commuters, and we may need Japanese guards to push people into the trains for the doors to close. :lol:
Spot on. I've been saying this for years. As above tho up until last month it never had a chance of getting off the ground.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#U/C: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

#37 Post by crawf » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Government looks at extending Noarlunga, Tonsley rail lines
Article from: The Advertiser

MILES KEMP

July 04, 2008 11:40am

AN extension of the Tonsley rail line to Flinders Medical Centre and a lengthening of the Noarlunga line are on the cards.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon announced a $4 million feasibility study into the extensions, funded by the Federal Government.

Mr Colon said an extension of the Tonsley line would ease parking pressures at FMC.

The investigation of the Noarlunga line extension to Seaford is in response to criticism that it was not included in the State Government's $2 billion public transport vision in last month's State Budget.

The $4 million study will investigate:

PARK and ride facilities based around the Flinders Medical Centre;

SOLVING the problem of building a massive bridge to cross the Onkaparinga River which meets the rail corridor at one of its widest points;

STUDY the gradient separation of the national and local rail lines at the Torrens Junction near Brompton;

SOLVING traffic problems where rail lines meet roads at intersections near the city.

Kingston MP Amanda Rishworth said the study would help come up with solutions to Adelaide's traffic problems.

"Public transport is a vital component of getting cars off the road an moving freight more quickly," she said.

Minister for the South John Hill said the State Government had already committed $34 million to buy land for a rail corridor to Aldinga.
Good to hear, a rail line extension to Flinders would be a good move. *warning* do not read the AdelaideNow comments - just shows how some people can be quite stupid and dumb.

Great example
"Why does our stupid government keep wasting OUR money when there are far more important issues in this state, this $4m (which is a huge amount of money) should go to our hospitals, doctors, teachers, police, water crisis and what about our poor FARMERS!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Extension plans for Tonsley, Noarlunga lines

#38 Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:24 pm

lol @ adelaidenow comments

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#39 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:45 pm

SOLVING traffic problems where rail lines meet roads at intersections near the city.
I believe this is code for eliminating level crossings!

I'm under the belief that most of the Outer Harbor line runs free of level crossings, so I can only take a hint that they would investigate the Torrens Road crossing on the Gawler line, the Victoria St crossing just before Goodwood station, South Road crossing at Emerson and the level crossing on Cross Road at Unley Park. These would be the major traffic/rail conflict points in Adelaide at present I believe?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by Norman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Shuz wrote:
I believe this is code for eliminating level crossings!

I'm under the belief that most of the Outer Harbor line runs free of level crossings, so I can only take a hint that they would investigate the Torrens Road crossing on the Gawler line, the Victoria St crossing just before Goodwood station, South Road crossing at Emerson and the level crossing on Cross Road at Unley Park. These would be the major traffic/rail conflict points in Adelaide at present I believe?
Think outside the inner suburbs...

Oaklands?
Main Road at Blackwood?
Semaphore Road?
Port Road at Woodville?
Hawker Street?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Oh, and I forgot a very important one, the Park Terrace level crossing of the Outer Harbor line.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#42 Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:04 pm

I believe the level crossing at south/cross roads would need to be looked at

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by AtD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Cruise: Unless they build the Port Road tunnel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by Wayno » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:30 pm

i'm sooo glad the Tonsley extension is on the agenda. Sure there are some engineering challenges, but the payback will make it worthwhile...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#45 Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:05 pm

AtD wrote:Cruise: Unless they build the Port Road tunnel.
What? i said the south/cross road level crossing on the noarlunga line would need to be looked at.