[COM] 122 Grenfell Street | 59m | 17lvls | Ibis Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #PRO: 122 Grenfell Street - Hotel - 18 Levels

#31 Post by Wayno » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Will wrote:
AtD wrote:It doesn't look like it goes back as far as The Jade Monkey in the renders on the first page of this thread. Kinda hard to tell though.

Is it heritage listed?
I would be very surprised if it wasn't.
The heritage map shows Gays & Adelaide Arcade as being heritage listed, but not the building in question. In fact it appears the '122 Grenfell St' plot is L shaped and has a Twin St frontage where the Jade Monkey building is located.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

Application Number: DA/797/2011
Lodgement Date: 23/09/2011
Description: Demolish existing building and construct 17 level hotel with associated facilities and ground floor retail.
Applicant Name: PRUSZINSKI ARCHITECTS P/L 214 Pulteney St, ADELAIDE SA 5000

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by omada » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:31 am

Sorry but i'd swap heritage and a cool quirky venue (Jade Monkey) for that boring tower, it will add nothing to Twin Street and nothing to the activation of the little side alleys. It will be a travesty if that building is bulldozed, haven't we learnt our lesson already? Adelaide's point of difference is our heritage buildings, we should preserve these where possible.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 am

Also, looking closer, is that a driveway over the Grenfell Street footpath? :?

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#35 Post by Thanial » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:57 am

I like the design without being particularly thrilled, and though I'd love to see a high rise building be constructed on that site, I think that the design needs to be far more iconic, in fact it's quite disappointing coming from Pruszinski. Still, hopefully once some other larger renders are available the design will come across as more appealing. Despite this, I do like the design, but it would be better suited on a different site, perhaps north terrace?

metro
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by metro » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 pm

AtD wrote:Also, looking closer, is that a driveway over the Grenfell Street footpath? :?
yes, there is a car entering the site. Just another reason why this proposal is bad. :?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Perhaps given that the proposal is a hotel, the place the car is entering is for the valet?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Howie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Hey guys, paul's been following this thread and wanted to clarify a few things for our members..
The camera shop is not part of the site. The boundary stops on the eastern edge of that shop.
The hotel site is relatively small, which is one of the design drivers.
The site of the hotel has no heritage listing.
There is a crossover off Grenfell to allow proper access for guests and taxi’s. Indeed inward site dropoff or “porte couchere” areas are now reasonably common on many new hotels not only in Australia but around the world, as they allow an oasis away from the city noise. This also ensures that we can maintain a very active frontage to the two streets. There is no public carpark entering onto Grenfell St. This also allows us to better activate twin street with reduced cars.

The building is square, however I don’t think there is an appreciation of the detail that we are designing into the precast. Every panel will be 3 dimensional and split, which will dramatically change the nature and texture of the façade as the sun moves across it during the day. These are not flat panels, and indeed the glazing isn’t flat aligning to them. We have tried to create a relatively simple, sophisticated, and very unique façade. Unfortunately it is very difficult to show that level of quality in distance renders.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Wayno » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 am

Howie wrote:Hey guys, paul's been following this thread and wanted to clarify a few things for our members..
Hey Howie (and Paul), will the Jade Monkey building be demolished as part of this development?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:42 am

I'd be keen to know about the Jade Monkey too. That would most definitely be a loss, especially seeing as though the are adding an additional bar/area at the moment.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: PRO: 122 Grenfell Street | 56m | 17 Levels | Hotel

#41 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 am

This is now on public notification on the DAC site.

Height is 56m (Same as Crowne Plaza). Appears Jade Monkey is part of this proposal.
Lots of new High Res renders.

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/index.cfm?obje ... 0F2030D46A

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#42 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:37 am

There seems to be contradictory statements in the document about what is happening with the Jade Monkey.

At various points they mention that it requires demolition for this development, and at other points they mention it's earmarked for a separate application to be submitted, but then in other areas there are site maps that only show the two buildings with the Grenfell St frontage (plus the drive way alongside the Jade).

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 am

Nathan wrote:There seems to be contradictory statements in the document about what is happening with the Jade Monkey.

At various points they mention that it requires demolition for this development, and at other points they mention it's earmarked for a separate application to be submitted, but then in other areas there are site maps that only show the two buildings with the Grenfell St frontage (plus the drive way alongside the Jade).
yes i noticed that. In fact I ammended my post three times as i read through the document haha. I'm still confused by what is actually happening.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by Adelarch » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Looks good. I particularly like the transparency of the lower levels – that silvery glass looks like it will lend the ground floor a light, welcoming quality appropriate of a hotel lobby. A lot of the buildings on Grenfell Street present either dark glass or solid walls to pedestrians on the ground level, creating a forbidding ‘though shall not enter’ feel, so this could be a nice contrast.

Speaking of glass colour I for one would be happy if one of these days we got a building made completely of silvery glass. Almost all the predominantly glass buildings recently completed, under construction or coming up seem to be blue or green glass. In fact I can’t think of a single one that’s not! Does anyone know why - is this a fashion trend, are there notable ‘green’ benefits or is cost management at play :?:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Will » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Having just read the documents it appears that Jade Monkey does not need to be demolished for the hotel to be built, but regardless it will be demolished anyway, with the site labelled "subject to a future application".

Furthermore, if one includes the plant room, the building's height is actually 59m.