Victoria Square Visions

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Victoria Square Visions

#46 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Norman wrote:Houw about something like the Schlossplatz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlossplatz%2C_Stuttgart
Ja das ist schone! But we don't have a schloss to put a platz in front of. ;)

It's a big transport hub with several services crossing at the point, which helps bring people to the place, and is something of a cultural centre, a bit like our North Tce precinct. So it has things going for it to bring people there already. But they don't have two major traffic routes intersecting on the square, which is a problem that needs a solution.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:16 pm

Underpasses always work, and the bus can travel on the edge of the square.

And our "schloss" aka Castles are basically the GPO, Town Hall, the courts and the Reserve Bank Building.
Last edited by Norman on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Norman wrote:Underpasses always work, and the bus can travel on the edge of the square.

And out "schloss" aka Castles are basically the GPO, Town Hall, the courts and the Reserve Bank Building.
Would you have the intersection underground?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:50 pm

If money is of a constraint, yes, a simple lights-operared intersection would do. If not, then a more complex intersection with separated tunnels for turning can be established.

Here's a plan I would like to see. The Lus Lanes could be done away with if needed be, but they shouldn't be much of an impact if a 20 or 30km/h speed limit is forced upon those buses. Otherwise, they could be moved underground as well.
Attachments
VS.jpg
VS.jpg (249.15 KiB) Viewed 2263 times

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Norman wrote:If money is of a constraint, yes, a simple lights-operared intersection would do. If not, then a more complex intersection with separated tunnels for turning can be established.

Here's a plan I would like to see. The Lus Lanes could be done away with if needed be, but they shouldn't be much of an impact if a 20 or 30km/h speed limit is forced upon those buses. Otherwise, they could be moved underground as well.
Radical! :) The cost and space available would be prohibitive, but while we're blueskying; how about instead of the bus only zone a shared pedestrian / traffic area so there's still drive up access to businesses along the road, but through traffic would be routed underneath?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:21 pm

keep the existing design of road routes around Victoria Square, but make them underground.

Then relocate the tram station under ground, with huge staircase like this:

example from Stockholm

Make the Vic Sq on ground level purely pedestrian and bus stops only.

If we eventually build the Adelaide Airport rail link, base the central station for the airport tram commuter at the underground.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:52 pm

To have a series of underground routes underneath Victoria Square of suitable depth for the likely through traffic, we'd have to start down-ramps from miles away.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by JamesXander » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:46 pm

I like the idea of a tunnel, leaving one huge diamond shaped park in the middle of Adelaide. I would then elevate the statue of Queen Victoria maybe adding a huge fountain around her. Something REALLY iconic. I would also make it very pedestrian friendly, Trees lining the road etc.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:09 am

JamesXander wrote:I like the idea of a tunnel, leaving one huge diamond shaped park in the middle of Adelaide. I would then elevate the statue of Queen Victoria maybe adding a huge fountain around her. Something REALLY iconic. I would also make it very pedestrian friendly, Trees lining the road etc.
Something like this you mean? ;)
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... d=a#p28389

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:26 pm

Edgar wrote:keep the existing design of road routes around Victoria Square, but make them underground.

Then relocate the tram station under ground, with huge staircase like this:

example from Stockholm

Make the Vic Sq on ground level purely pedestrian and bus stops only.

If we eventually build the Adelaide Airport rail link, base the central station for the airport tram commuter at the underground.
Hey, that's my city! :D

It's amazing how far down these stations go. I almost fell backwards down the escalator in Rådhuset once — not something you want to even contemplate...

I'm really favourable towards the idea of locating a central public transport interchange beneath the square, though I imagine it'd be a massive expense. Adelaide doesn't have the advantage of a granite bedrock like Stockholm.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:54 pm

We're also not very far above sea level.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am

Norman wrote:We're also not very far above sea level.
..and the earthquakes, don't forget the earthquakes! *stands under door frame* :shock:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:42 am

monotonehell wrote:
JamesXander wrote:I like the idea of a tunnel, leaving one huge diamond shaped park in the middle of Adelaide. I would then elevate the statue of Queen Victoria maybe adding a huge fountain around her. Something REALLY iconic. I would also make it very pedestrian friendly, Trees lining the road etc.
Something like this you mean? ;)
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... d=a#p28389
yeah, I still believe monotonehell's design beats everything else by far - elegant, simple, and reasonably cost-sensitive...seriosuly dude, you should submit this to the ACC & The Advertiser!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

Re: Victoria Square

#59 Post by JamesXander » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:03 pm

monotonehell wrote:Something Edgar said above lead me to draw this at lunchtime. It's terribly rough, dunno if it's a good idea though, I was just bored at lunch. ;)
The bridge / sunken roadway in the middle forms a sloped bit of ground which is possibly an opportunity for temporary seating for outdoor stage shows of some sort. The Western side abuts to the buildings and except for the front of the Hilton (where there'd be a shared taxi/pedestrian zone) there's opportunity for park fronted cafes and restaurants.

Back to work...

That would involve relaying a new tram track haha. Good Idea though.I think the tunnels should start futher back though

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by Edgar » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 pm

although it is good, it also means that traffic from both ends of King William St will not have access to Grote St except entering from side streets.

It is good, but needs some alterations.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.