COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
roger explosion
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Proposed - Bay Junction re-development - Glenelg -$60million

#61 Post by roger explosion » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:09 pm

my parents own Great Temptations Caffe, and Andrew Taplin is making our life a living hell... this thing won't happen for a while yet.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by how_good_is_he » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:44 am

Is there a re-development clause or compensation in the lease or do you have the option to come back once complete? Is Woolworths and all others having to close down also?

roger explosion
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#63 Post by roger explosion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:54 pm

there is a redevelopment clause, and we are under contract to come back once completed... but it's an extremely long story that i don't know all the details about, but let's just say he is very ruthless, and isn't helping us. at all. i think we're getting out of there ASAP.

teflon fox
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by teflon fox » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:03 pm

My wife owned and operated the same cafe for about 3 years and had to deal with Taplin as the landlord. She also found him ruthless
and un-cooperative - as did many of the other tenants. Rents also were exhorbitant - these will more than likely go up noticeably
after any redevelopment.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by pushbutton » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 pm

I do sympathise, but from what I've heard that's how most shopping centres treat their tenants (Westfield especially). It would be nice if they didn't, but they just seem to take the attitude that if one tenant leaves, another will be easily found to take their place, so they really don't care.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by JamesXander » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Ahhh yes Westfield are the worst. If you can't make the rent payments they will take your house instead. I don't understand how half the shops in places like Marion survive.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#67 Post by Cruise » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 am

westfield are white collar crimals

The rent you pay runs on a sliding ascale depending on how much you turnover.

and if you dont meet the turnover magins they set for you, they throw you out on you're arse.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#68 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm

The Glenelg Cinema is up for sale - it was mentioned earlier in this thread that it was to be upgraded at part of Bay Junction, but
it may be knocked down instead if not viable as cinemas.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 184125.htm
Glenelg Cinema up for sale
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:00pm AEDT

Glenelg Cinema, on Jetty Road in Adelaide's south-west, has been put on the market for $7 million.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Xaragmata wrote:The Glenelg Cinema is up for sale - it was mentioned earlier in this thread that it was to be upgraded at part of Bay Junction, but
it may be knocked down instead if not viable as cinemas.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 184125.htm
Glenelg Cinema up for sale
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2008 2:00pm AEDT

Glenelg Cinema, on Jetty Road in Adelaide's south-west, has been put on the market for $7 million.
My bet: the purchasers will build a tall-ish residential tower (8-10 storeys) with ground floor retail (but no cinemas), and maybe some pay parking...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#70 Post by skyliner » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Would be a real pity to see such a cinema disappear. Not many left - so few in fact that they're beginning to draw their own crowds due to novelty/sentimentalism, ambience, film type etc etc. In brisbane there is a move to preserve one such cinema in operating condituon in Queen st. To seat at least 1000. (Called the Regent - bringing back the rather flambouyant style of the 1920's). Not to show teen/chick flicks and/or mindless, plotless films as I understand.

The architecture is genre specific (as with gothic churches). One such one also in Toowoomba QLD -(the Empire). A loss of such a style IMO is not good. Corrcct me if I'm wrong, I think there is a similar cinema in Goodwood and also on O'Connell St (the Piccadilly).

With all this in mind, I can cope with the idea of a resi block 8 - 10 floors high instead.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Will » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:27 pm

Instead of trying to preserve useless structures like toilet blocks and carparks the Holdfast Bay council should fight to save genuine historic buildings such as this. It would be a great loss to Glenelg if this elegant Art Deco building was allowed to be bulldozed.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:30 pm

To be honest but I thought this would already be heritage listed?. It would be a massive shame if the art deco cinema complex was demolished.

If Glenelg wants to continue to lure people to the area or be one of the top tourist precincts in the SA, its needs to have a decent cinema complex especially that its just up the road from undoubtedly SA's best cinema complex - Greater Union Megaplex Marion.

Omicron

#73 Post by Omicron » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:30 am

crawf wrote:To be honest but I thought this would already be heritage listed?. It would be a massive shame if the art deco cinema complex was demolished.

If Glenelg wants to continue to lure people to the area or be one of the top tourist precincts in the SA, its needs to have a decent cinema complex especially that its just up the road from undoubtedly SA's best cinema complex - Greater Union Megaplex Marion.
It would certainly be a shame for the facade to disappear, or for a business inappropriately suited to such a building to take up tenancy. Marion has the financial backing to be bigger, better, louder and whatnot, and no matter how much money could be poured into vast Senstadium-esque inprovements to Glenelg's interior, Marion is just too close and too large for Glenelg to be a realistic direct competitor. I feel their best opportunity (if it were to remain a cinema) is to offer something different; taking the approach of the Palace/Nova cinemas, and showing more so-called 'arthouse' films.

With that said, though, I just don't know if the market can support the number of cinemas it currently has. I'd be very surprised if attendance figures at cinemas in general were on an upward trend, especially given the huge rise in large-screen plasma and LCD televisions, home theatre systems, and the ease of obtaining newly-released movies for private consumption. I'll be damned if I can think of a use for such a large building that does justice to its imposing stance, though.

paul
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#74 Post by paul » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:31 am

It would be a great sheam if this building was knocked - it's art deco at it's best (not the hideous 60s revival stuff!). I just wonder if it could be turned into a theatre rather than a cinema? The main cinema is huge also has a large floor space which would lend itself for use as a theatre. Perhaps the council and / or the state goverment could step in....

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by how_good_is_he » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:04 am

The reality is the Vendor [Wallis family] is looking for $7m+ and building needs much more $$ spent. Big bucks and I doubt a cinema/theatre etc could generate enough to pay for itself. Interesting that they couldn't do a deal with Taplin next door [the logical buyer] - although they could be using the selling campaign to set the min. price he has to pay in the end.