News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#871 Post by SRW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Most of Stephens Place is fire escapes or utilities, so there's not much scope to add shopfronts, though there are entrances to both the food court and Myer that could be made more prominent. If the retail space occupied by Platypus were a cafe opening out onto the street, that could be pleasant spot to watch the action in the Mall and enjoy a coffee (so long as smokers from surrounding buildings find a new spot to pollute). That space was 'activated' somewhat successfully by Splash Adelaide last summer with seating and greenery.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#872 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 pm

SRW wrote:Most of Stephens Place is fire escapes or utilities, so there's not much scope to add shopfronts, though there are entrances to both the food court and Myer that could be made more prominent. If the retail space occupied by Platypus were a cafe opening out onto the street, that could be pleasant spot to watch the action in the Mall and enjoy a coffee (so long as smokers from surrounding buildings find a new spot to pollute). That space was 'activated' somewhat successfully by Splash Adelaide last summer with seating and greenery.
All of the shops on that side of the old David Jones building could potentially open out to Stephens Place. The only one that does is the newsagent's "entrance only" one way door.

Is it just me or does the Abraj Al Bait Tower remind anyone else of the Myer Centre?
http://urbanpeek.com/2012/01/06/top-10- ... d-in-2011/ (number two on that list)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#873 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:01 am

Considering there isn't much you can do to this ugly monstrosity, this upgrade looks decent. I do hope there is a future plan for the rest of the exterior.

Very interesting to hear about Topshop aswell.

Stefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#874 Post by Stefan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:51 am

monotonehell wrote:
Stefan wrote:Did anyone realise the 1D world shop on king willam st? Wow.
You seem to be missing some words here. Please explain?
No. All the words are there. If it doesn't make sense than google it.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#875 Post by monotonehell » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:00 am

Stefan wrote:Did anyone realise that the 1D world shop is open on king willam st? Wow.
Is that what you meant?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#876 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I think it's a great shame that they seem to want to make the Myer Centre just like every other modern building. I love good high quality contemporary design, but the Myer Centre was never meant to be contemporary.

They should have kept with the original concept internally and externally and just enhanced it with new furniture and better quality shopfronts. When Dazzleland closed, rather than abandoning it they should have sought a new and more competent operator to run it either as it was, or as an alternative type of entertainment attration.

Topshop hardly has the same appeal!

Still though, given that they have made such a mess of the place it's good to know they now finally have some sort of plan to hopefully bring it back to life a bit. Looks like it will be boring but quite nice just like most things in little old Adelaide.

I won't be visiting often though as the council has recently made it all but impossible to park your car without paying.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#877 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:08 pm

pushbutton wrote:I think it's a great shame that they seem to want to make the Myer Centre just like every other modern building. I love good high quality contemporary design, but the Myer Centre was never meant to be contemporary.

They should have kept with the original concept internally and externally and just enhanced it with new furniture and better quality shopfronts. When Dazzleland closed, rather than abandoning it they should have sought a new and more competent operator to run it either as it was, or as an alternative type of entertainment attration.

Topshop hardly has the same appeal!

Still though, given that they have made such a mess of the place it's good to know they now finally have some sort of plan to hopefully bring it back to life a bit. Looks like it will be boring but quite nice just like most things in little old Adelaide.

I won't be visiting often though as the council has recently made it all but impossible to park your car without paying.

Ugh to the bold.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#878 Post by Waewick » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:25 pm

yes, and god forbid you need to pay for parking - that bitumen just gets there itself....

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#879 Post by SRW » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 pm

monotonehell wrote:
SRW wrote:Most of Stephens Place is fire escapes or utilities, so there's not much scope to add shopfronts, though there are entrances to both the food court and Myer that could be made more prominent. If the retail space occupied by Platypus were a cafe opening out onto the street, that could be pleasant spot to watch the action in the Mall and enjoy a coffee (so long as smokers from surrounding buildings find a new spot to pollute). That space was 'activated' somewhat successfully by Splash Adelaide last summer with seating and greenery.
All of the shops on that side of the old David Jones building could potentially open out to Stephens Place. The only one that does is the newsagent's "entrance only" one way door.

Is it just me or does the Abraj Al Bait Tower remind anyone else of the Myer Centre?
http://urbanpeek.com/2012/01/06/top-10- ... d-in-2011/ (number two on that list)
Ah, true. I was thinking only of the Myer Centre side.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Stefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#880 Post by Stefan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Stefan wrote:Did anyone realise that the 1D world shop is open on king willam st? Wow.
Is that what you meant?
No considering when I saw the store it was closed. Isn't this a news and discussion thread about retail in the CBD and not an English class? Come the f**k on!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#881 Post by ml69 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Perhaps I've missed it, but does anyone know who is moving into the old Darrel Lea retail space on the corner of King William and Rundle Mall?

The existing building is rather old and daggy, of no great architectural merit, and I can't help but think the building should be ripe for redevelopment given the prime location. In my mind is an ultra-modern, quandrant-shaped, 5-6 storey building (keeping with the mall scale) with a 2-3 storey full glass retail shopfront on the corner, with a few floors of office space above.

The corner retail tenancy would suit a large retail chain wanting a flagship, iconic store in the Rundle Mall precinct (someone like Nike or Zara would be ideal). With probably the highest pedestrian count in Adelaide passing by the front door, such a redeveloped building would likely attract the highest retail rentals in Rundle Mall.

Would be a great contrast to the wonderful heritage of the Beehive Corner building on the opposite side of the mall.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#882 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 am

Had the same thoughts as you, ml69. Completely agree with what you just said. However I do note that the ACC have actually only just completed a heritage restoration scheme on this building, which if you look at the verandah treatments, turned our pretty bloody well. Goes to show that you can create old stuff in a new age.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#883 Post by Will » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 pm

ml69 wrote:Perhaps I've missed it, but does anyone know who is moving into the old Darrel Lea retail space on the corner of King William and Rundle Mall?

The existing building is rather old and daggy, of no great architectural merit, and I can't help but think the building should be ripe for redevelopment given the prime location. In my mind is an ultra-modern, quandrant-shaped, 5-6 storey building (keeping with the mall scale) with a 2-3 storey full glass retail shopfront on the corner, with a few floors of office space above.

The corner retail tenancy would suit a large retail chain wanting a flagship, iconic store in the Rundle Mall precinct (someone like Nike or Zara would be ideal). With probably the highest pedestrian count in Adelaide passing by the front door, such a redeveloped building would likely attract the highest retail rentals in Rundle Mall.

Would be a great contrast to the wonderful heritage of the Beehive Corner building on the opposite side of the mall.
The building you mention is of great historical significance, and not to mention a rare example of regency architecture. It was built in 1847 from the profits of the Burra 'monster mine', and housed rhe offices of the South Australian Mining Association.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#884 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 am

Crowmania to hit the city

by: Tim Williams

January 11, 2013

THE Adelaide Crows are set to open a Crowmania shop in Regent Arcade in the city.

The shop will stock the full range of Crows merchandise and allow fans to sign up for memberships and corporate packages.
It will be the first Crowmania store outside of AAMI Stadium.

Club merchandise manager Alex Pietrus said the move was about "having a presence in the city" ahead of the launch of AFL football at Adelaide Oval next year.

He said the city shop would be easier for many fans to access than West Lakes for buying club products and memberships.

"Hopefully with the store conveniently located in Rundle Mall they'll be able to do that," he said.

The shop will open on Tuesday, January 29 before an official launch party on Friday, February 1 (6pm to 8pm), featuring appearances by players to sign merchandise and chat with fans about the season ahead.

Regular opening times will be Monday to Thursday 10am-5.30pm, Friday 10am -9pm , Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 11am to 5pm.

Meantime, restored furniture and homewares business One Small Room, from Croydon's trendy Queen St, has opened a pop-up shop in Ebenezer Place in the East End for the next month.

"We see it as a great opportunity to do something in a very like-minded street to Queen St, Croydon," owner Rebekah Cichero said.

"We thought it was too good to miss out on the fun in the city."

The pop-up shop is part of One Small Room's 10th anniversary celebrations.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#885 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm

I hear that Port Adelaide is struggling to find tenants for its shops, perhaps that would be a better location for this Crows Store?

:banana: