[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#946 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:46 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
warpspeed wrote:I heard on the radio today that the design for T2T has been modified such that the power substation won't need to be relocated and will remain in it's current location.
I can confirm this - Torrens to Torrens has been amended significantly from the original proposal. The 'non-stop' road will now run in the centre of the existing South Road, rather than on its western alignment.
is it still going to be sunk or is it now going to be an elevated road?

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#947 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Sunk.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#948 Post by Aidan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:03 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I can confirm this - Torrens to Torrens has been amended significantly from the original proposal. The 'non-stop' road will now run in the centre of the existing South Road, rather than on its western alignment.
For how far?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#949 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
I can confirm this - Torrens to Torrens has been amended significantly from the original proposal. The 'non-stop' road will now run in the centre of the existing South Road, rather than on its western alignment.

Interesting. Curious how far.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#950 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:42 am

Aidan wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:I can confirm this - Torrens to Torrens has been amended significantly from the original proposal. The 'non-stop' road will now run in the centre of the existing South Road, rather than on its western alignment.
For how far?
Same as before. From about Hindmarsh Ave in Hindmarsh to Henry St in Croydon. The section between Henry Street and Torrens Road will be a massively wide median to 'future - proof' the extension of the trench through to Torrens Road.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#951 Post by neoballmon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:00 pm

How much property will need to be acquired on the eastern side? Would they have to take everything between Port Road and the rail line for it to not be a low-speed bend? Otherwise it'll just be another turn like the one North of Torrens Road, with a speed recommendation well below the limit itself.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#952 Post by rev » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:16 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Aidan wrote:
For how far?
Same as before. From about Hindmarsh Ave in Hindmarsh to Henry St in Croydon. The section between Henry Street and Torrens Road will be a massively wide median to 'future - proof' the extension of the trench through to Torrens Road.
So basically instead of the trench running to the western side of South Rd, they are going to move it to the center and have South Rd run on either side of the trench?
Why have they changed it?

[Shuz]

#953 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:19 am

I don't know exactly why. But from what I've seen, if I had to guess - it's all a matter of saving costs.

As mentioned before, the ETSA substation no longer needs to be replaced. That is a cost saved. In the renders of the previous plan did appear took costly from an engineering perspective what with all those support columns and beams needed to support the southern carriageway under half of the the existing South Road. They don't need to do that anymore. I'm also of the understanding the railway overpass may not be as long and Croydon station will no longer be redeveloped. That's another cost saving measure.

Nathan

#954 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:59 am

[Shuz] wrote:I'm also of the understanding the railway overpass may not be as long and Croydon station will no longer be redeveloped. That's another cost saving measure.
Boo. The more level crossings removed, the better. Combined with the Torrens Junction project, they could have removed all level crossings up to Kilkenny Rd.

ChillyPhilly

#955 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:39 pm

Nathan wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:I'm also of the understanding the railway overpass may not be as long and Croydon station will no longer be redeveloped. That's another cost saving measure.
Boo. The more level crossings removed, the better. Combined with the Torrens Junction project, they could have removed all level crossings up to Kilkenny Rd.
I'm no engineer or train expert, so someone in these fields correct me if wrong, but reducing the length of the rail overpass is a good thing. Citybound trains (or trams) would have to accelerate going into Croydon to make the gradient of the overpass, only to slow down after passing over South Road, where the gradient would be even greater thanks to the undergrounding of that stretch of the Outer Harbour line past Bowden.

Also, now purely speculative but I'd expect Croydon station to still get a makeover, but not to be rebuilt. This is a good thing as it will keep the adjacent park and Queen Street cafe strip (however brief it may be) intact.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#956 Post by spiller » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm disappointed to hear that it's been amended and particularly that the power station is staying. That thing is a rundown eyesore and probably the most depressing part of this whole area. Let's hope they at least budget for some walls to hide the thing.

Aidan

#957 Post by Aidan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:31 pm

It's only a substation, and it's not as ugly as their earlier road proposal.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#958 Post by Aidan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Nathan wrote: Boo. The more level crossings removed, the better. Combined with the Torrens Junction project, they could have removed all level crossings up to Kilkenny Rd.
They still can. But it shouldn't have to depend on a road project, and there are other crossings far more in need of grade separation.

SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#959 Post by SCF » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm not sure when this was put up - but have people seen this regarding the Darlington project?

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... ochure.pdf

This is the first time I've seen what they are proposing for the northern end of the project. That intersection looks like it could become a major bottleneck, especially for people who will still need to travel on the "old" South road.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#960 Post by neoballmon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:35 pm

I can't see it being too much worse than it currently is. That intersection is already a major bottleneck from all directions, and this project, although it may not change that, conditions will be a lot better South of here. But I guess only time will tell.

Also, I've just received an email about information days for this project.
The next stage of the North-South Corridor to be upgraded is the 2.3km section of road between the Southern Expressway and Ayliffes Road at Darlington.

The Australian and State Governments have committed $620 million in total towards the construction of the Darlington Upgrade Project.

Construction is set to begin next year and be complete in 2018.

You are welcome to attend an Information Day to view the concept design, understand preliminary construction activities and speak to the team about the project.

With community engagement underway, the Information Days will provide an opportunity for you to discuss any issues with the project team and encourage you to ‘have your say’.

Information Days will be held at the site office, L2, Sir Mark Oliphant Building, 5 Laffer Drive, Bedford Park.

They will be held on the following dates:

When: Wednesday, 2 July 2014
6pm – 9pm

When: Sunday, 6 July 2014
10am – 1pm

When: Tuesday, 8 July 2014
4pm – 7pm

A short presentation by the Project Director will also take place during the Information Days.

All enquiries

Call: 1300 759 334

Visit: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au

Email: [email protected]
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!