Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Beer Garden

#2201 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Were some streets around Adelaide raised above ground level at some point in time? There's a few buildings around that have windows below the street level and some around Port Adelaide as well I think.
I was wondering if it was something like what they did in Chicago where they built a new road so the old ground floor became the basement and the second floor became the new ground floor.
The windows in the footpath and windows in wells were to allow sun light into the basement levels of buildings. They were designed that way, not retrofitted because the street level rose. After electric light became more widespread, this practice ceased.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2202 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:40 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:Were some streets around Adelaide raised above ground level at some point in time? There's a few buildings around that have windows below the street level and some around Port Adelaide as well I think.
I was wondering if it was something like what they did in Chicago where they built a new road so the old ground floor became the basement and the second floor became the new ground floor.
I'm not sure about the city, but I'm fairly certain you're correct about Port Adelaide. It was originally built not much higher than the tidal flats, thus would regularly flood. IIRC, as the port was expanded and dredged, land was reclaimed and some ground levels raised - hence early buildings were adapted to new heights.
Keep Adelaide Weird

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2203 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Yet another fashion retail chain is closing its Mitcham Square, Burnside & Glenelg stores after 100 years.
Can anyone tell the name since the article is 'Advertiser Plus' and I'm tired of dealing with the same crap since the very beginning.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2204 Post by ml69 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:Yet another fashion retail chain is closing its Mitcham Square, Burnside & Glenelg stores after 100 years.
Can anyone tell the name since the article is 'Advertiser Plus' and I'm tired of dealing with the same crap since the very beginning.
The chain is Judells.

To get past the Advertiser paywall, copy the title of the Advertiser story and paste into Google, and click on the search link. You can only do this once a day for the same article.

Waewick

#2205 Post by Waewick » Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm

holy crap.

I accdiently read the comments section of the Adelaidenow webiste

what a collection of humans that is.

Llessur2002

#2206 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Waewick wrote:holy crap.

Sady they seem to be discovering InDaily too...

Waewick

#2207 Post by Waewick » Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Waewick wrote:holy crap.

Sady they seem to be discovering InDaily too...
I don't get the hate.

I really don't.

The Scooter Guy

#2208 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun May 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Here are a few reasons of why changing to a subscription type business model is so bad:

1. It violates one's Fair Use Rights: "...that allows limited use of copyrighted works without requiring permission from the original rights holders, e.g. commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, or scholarship."
2. It does nothing at all to stop online piracy. In fact, Flickr back in its earlier days allowed standard (non Pro) users to only see their recent 200 photos and add photos to only ten groups unless they of course upgrade to pro. These limitations were finally removed in late 2012 (not for piracy of course but) to allow all its users to relieve what their photographic memories were worth.
3. The people who support the battle against online piracy, end up getting worst punishment than those who practice online piracy themselves.
4. Due to all of the above mentioned, it is slowly putting an end to the World Wide Web that all fondly know & love. Our internet cannot and shall not be defeated in any way.
Last edited by The Scooter Guy on Thu May 26, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Waewick

#2209 Post by Waewick » Thu May 26, 2016 12:13 pm

so the Libs have put a bill up to limit bike speeds to 10kms on footpaths.

is that not he stupidist thing you have ever heard? how on earth do you police that?

the nanny state in this country is out of control.

Llessur2002

#2210 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:28 pm

From InDaily:
Disability advocates have expressed support for a Liberal Party bill, to be introduced today, that would set a 10km/h speed limit for cyclists on footpaths.
Without wanting to offend anyone, I think it's a bit bloody rich for 'disability advocates' to be calling for the speed of bicycles to be limited to 10km/h on the footpath when the speed of many gophers and motorised wheelchairs is far beyond this.

I enjoy a great aerial view of Rundle Mall from my office window and only yesterday I saw a motorised wheelchair absolutely pelting it along the mall - easily 20-25km/h, I would genuinely have been hard pushed to keep up with the lady if I was sprinting.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a problem, but I find it difficult to put up with the seemingly constant anti-bike rhetoric from many parties when there are other groups of footpath users who pose a similar level of theoretical 'danger' who don't even get a mention...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2211 Post by Wayno » Thu May 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:From InDaily:
Disability advocates have expressed support for a Liberal Party bill, to be introduced today, that would set a 10km/h speed limit for cyclists on footpaths.
Without wanting to offend anyone, I think it's a bit bloody rich for 'disability advocates' to be calling for the speed of bicycles to be limited to 10km/h on the footpath when the speed of many gophers and motorised wheelchairs is far beyond this.

I enjoy a great aerial view of Rundle Mall from my office window and only yesterday I saw a motorised wheelchair absolutely pelting it along the mall - easily 20-25km/h, I would genuinely have been hard pushed to keep up with the lady if I was sprinting.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a problem, but I find it difficult to put up with the seemingly constant anti-bike rhetoric from many parties when there are other groups of footpath users who pose a similar level of theoretical 'danger' who don't even get a mention...
Easy grab for votes.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]

#2212 Post by [Shuz] » Thu May 26, 2016 4:51 pm

The next election is 2 years away? Why bother with the pork barreling now?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#2213 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:42 am

I like this opinion piece. Sums up many of my own thoughts...
SA's unhealthy obsession with Light's vision

Parts of Colonel Light's vision for Adelaide still make sense but other aspects of his legacy need to be dragged into the 21st century, writes architect Gerald Matthews.

"Light's Vision" on Montefiore Hill. Photo: Nat Rogers/InDaily

For my entire career I’ve listened to Adelaide debate aspects of Colonel Light’s vision. There are aspects of it that even today seem like genius and there are aspects that leave some of us scratching our heads.

I battle with the word “vision” – an emotive word. To me, it essentially implies that William Light was a founding father, enduring hardship, striking out for the promised land to make a better place for the brave people who followed him…

But is that the real story?

He was a government surveyor employed to divide up land so that it could be sold. European settlers with an expectation based on the soils and farming fertility of their homelands arrived to discover mangrove swamps, scarce water and scant top-soil. Was the man carving the land up for sale a hero or simply an opportunist, and were the new arrivals, in fact, cursing the government that sold them the land?

Part of Light’s job included creating an arrangement for a city that would make sense. And it did make sense, at least back when bullock trains required wide streets to turn around. It made sense before we sprawled for 75km of continuous suburbs from Gawler to Moana. It made sense before we started making and driving cars.

Parts of it still make sense. But those parts come with a few “ifs”. A city centre framed by parks is still an excellent idea. If we kept them green so they cooled the surrounding areas during our hot dry summers they would make even more sense. There has been significant international research into the cost-benefit of irrigating parklands in cities with hot climates. The idea is that the cost, water and energy used to keep the parklands green would be outweighed by the energy and cost benefits of the evaporative cooling effects for the CBD and city frame areas. And if we turned them in to gardens and kept them green we might also be inspired to use them more.

Torrens Lake (the wide part behind the weir) is a wise idea along the north edge of the CBD for a similar reason. It acts to cool the hot dry northerly winds we get in summer. If we could keep it clean enough to swim in or use without getting sick it would also be a recreational draw card for the city. Within living memory we weren’t just rowing on the river, we were also holding swimming races in it. I’d dearly like to see that happen again.

Our squares are an amazing part of our city’s fabric. If we can figure out how to use them for more than decoration we will be well on our way to building vibrancy within the square mile. Events like the Royal Croquet Club and Fork in the Road demonstrate just part of the potential for these spaces.

There are some aspects of our city, however, that may never make much sense to me. Take, for instance, the almost arbitrary location of the CBD, halfway between the hills and the coast. If the fabled canal had ever been constructed from Port Adelaide down Port Road to the CBD we may have discovered some sense in the location of our CBD, but as it stands that doesn’t seem a likely proposition. So we have to accept that there isn’t any particular reason for the CBD to be where it is.

Its arbitrary location does allow other areas such as Glenelg and Port Adelaide to maintain a point of difference, but without the density to support multiple competing centres they all suffer.

The city planning of Adelaide responds well to a northern aspect, but this also means that our wide streets soak up the scorching summer heat. Ancient cities built in hot climates often utilised narrow streets so that each building shades its neighbours. Since our summers are harsher than our winters our alternating wide streets don’t make a lot of sense. For a city with such clarity of movement we haven’t yet unlocked its potential to support greater numbers of people, which with just a little foresight would be easy to do.

Once trams connected the city to Henley Beach, Semaphore and Glenelg. Glenelg kept its tramline – the others didn’t. The current differences between these destinations is proof of the importance of better public transport. Glenelg thrived but, by comparison, Henley Beach and Semaphore regressed for several decades.

There was a time when trams went everywhere in our city. And within 30 years we’re hoping to claw back perhaps 60 per cent of what we had in the 1950s. We should be aiming higher and acting faster.

A vision or strategy that was created hundreds of years ago needs to be updated as the world moves forward, otherwise Adelaide will continue to be dragged kicking and screaming through the 21st century.

Gerald Matthews is managing director of Matthews Architects.
http://indaily.com.au/opinion/2016/06/0 ... ts-vision/

claybro

#2214 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:15 am

Also have to agree with much of this article. Love the point about keeping the parklands GREEN year round to assist with cooling and more inviting. Some points however about settlers finding poor soils? Soils around the CBD along the Torrens flood plain are/were particularly fertile. Citing of the CBD rather than being arbitrary was located inland due to most of what is now the western suburbs was swampy marsh prone to flooding. The CBD site was the closest site to the Port, adjacent fresh water (Torrens) and high enough to prevent regular flooding. From what I have read the CBD was very deliberately placed. Otherwise a great article.

Waewick

#2215 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:56 pm

I also enjoyed the article. I think most of us agree that the parkland should be green all year round.

I was unaware of why the CBD is where is it, so thanks for the insight Claybro.