Adelaide UBD c.1942.

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Will409
Legendary Member!

Adelaide UBD c.1942.

#1 Post by Will409 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:04 pm

http://users.esc.net.au/~mdouglas/ademaps/ademaps.html

Interesting look, especially with some of the street names. As an example, Regency Road used to be called 'Irish Harp Road'. Also shows off exactly where the tram lines used to go around the city. From what I understand, reproductions of this UBD have become available through the RAA and are on sale now. Forget the price though.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Mants
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide UBD c.1942.

#2 Post by Mants » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:15 am

thanks for posting.

interesting how glynde road and burnside road joined to become glynburn road! makes sense ey?! :)

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:39 am

Will409 wrote:http://users.esc.net.au/~mdouglas/ademaps/ademaps.html

Interesting look, especially with some of the street names. As an example, Regency Road used to be called 'Irish Harp Road'. Also shows off exactly where the tram lines used to go around the city. From what I understand, reproductions of this UBD have become available through the RAA and are on sale now. Forget the price though.
Thanks, and I remember when Regency Road was Islington Road / Irish Harp Road; South Road was Shillabeer Avenue / Government Road and Regency Park was the sewer farm. I suspected the embankment across Rymill Park (by the drained lake) was a tramway, but had never seen that on a map before.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by ReallyBad » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks for that - they sure had a thing for names back then - how many roads had 2 or 3 names (i.e. South Road, Diagonal Road, Grand Junction Road, Greenhill Road) and how many suburbs were there? Seems at some point after that someone decided to consolidate all the names and make it more sense. It does make me understand why somethings are names as they are now - using the old suburb names.

Love the "reserverd for sewage purposes" at Regency
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

jordan85
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by jordan85 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:51 am

Interesting... However looking at the old CBD map and the current one, it's kinda like playing spot the difference! Not much has really changed.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by aussie2000 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:16 pm

Victoria square was a lot different back then, i like they layout better now, but not the look lol

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Thankyou very much for this, I've been looking old maps of Adelaide for ages :D. I find this fascinating, seeing miles being used instead of kilometres, different suburb names, old train and tram lines etc....

Its interesting to see that West Beach and Richmond Roads and Morphett & Findon Roads used to connect. Also I love some of the names for some places such as the "Institution for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb" :lol: . After looking at this and a recent street directory, Adelaide looks so big today lol, Gilles Plain back then was just a village.
jordan85 wrote:Interesting... However looking at the old CBD map and the current one, it's kinda like playing spot the difference! Not much has really changed.
Well I wouldn't expect the CBD to change much at all. The streets were layed in 1836!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by jk1237 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:16 pm

I know that up until 1920-30s, Kilburn was known as Chicago, which is why the Kilburn Football Club are called the chics.
Part of Thebarton used to be called Southwark. I think there used to be a suburb near Burnside called Knightsbridge, but it disappeared, and Magill started off as Macgill, but over the first decade of settlement it somehow dropped the c. The orginal suburb of Tea Tree Gully was called Steventon.
Does anyone else know of any other changes

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by Cruise » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:41 pm

I know that there is still a southwark hotel

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:57 am

jk1237 wrote:I know that up until 1920-30s, Kilburn was known as Chicago, which is why the Kilburn Football Club are called the chics.
Part of Thebarton used to be called Southwark. I think there used to be a suburb near Burnside called Knightsbridge, but it disappeared, and Magill started off as Macgill, but over the first decade of settlement it somehow dropped the c. The orginal suburb of Tea Tree Gully was called Steventon.
Does anyone else know of any other changes
There is so many - Sydeham, Murray Park, Golflands etc...

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by Omicron » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Look at the reach of the tram network. Ripping up all the tracks would have been a fair task back then. It goes to show the extent of investment required to re-establish a useful tram network in the future.

Thanks for posting this, by the way. Like Crawf, I find this fascinating. 8)

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Tom » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:06 pm

You can purchase a 1936 gregorys road map of adelaide for $22 at the RAA offices in Hindmarsh Sq. It is a very limited reprint.
Garno!

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Splashmo » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 am

Nothing's changed in my neck of the woods, except the tram line has gone. Boy, that would have been great.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by jk1237 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Omicron wrote:Look at the reach of the tram network. Ripping up all the tracks would have been a fair task back then. It goes to show the extent of investment required to re-establish a useful tram network in the future.

It would have been an enormous job to rip up the tracks. I just cant believe they could be that dumb to rip them all up. You have all the existing investment/infrastructure which is already huge but some govt idiot sees America rip all their trams up and then decides we better do it aswell. All that time and money to construct them in the first place, and then all that time and money to take them out.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Will409 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:50 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Omicron wrote:Look at the reach of the tram network. Ripping up all the tracks would have been a fair task back then. It goes to show the extent of investment required to re-establish a useful tram network in the future.

It would have been an enormous job to rip up the tracks. I just cant believe they could be that dumb to rip them all up. You have all the existing investment/infrastructure which is already huge but some govt idiot sees America rip all their trams up and then decides we better do it aswell. All that time and money to construct them in the first place, and then all that time and money to take them out.
Think we were bad! Sydney had a tram system DOUBLE the length of the former Adelaide one. It should serve as no suprise then that the closure of the system started in the late 1940s and saw the last line closure in 1961. What I find a shame is that some parts of the system even in it's last days were well used. The Watson's Bay line was the busiest on the system apparently had trams running every 40 seconds in the afternoon peak.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.