News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jase111
Gold-Member ;)

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2141 Post by jase111 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Site office went up today at oaklands crossing for electrification of seaford. Line and started digging at marion for the ped underpass

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2142 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm

It's September & the Noarlunga line is supposed to re-open this month!
Let me know when an exact date is announced!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

[Shuz]

#2143 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 am

Re: the continued closure of the Noarlunga rail line, it appears that they are doing a lot more work to Goodwood station than first thought. The roofs have been partially taken out and a bit more of the station platform taken out beyond the parameters of where it had collapsed. If this much work is being carried out, then I'm surprised why they haven't jumped at the opportunity to give it a complete overhaul and build a new station instead. That would go down better with commuters than the current hush-hush over the extended closure. I suspect that the resignation of Emma Thomas, former DCE - Public Transport Services and the appointment of a new DCE may have something to do with this - change of guard, change of directions and priorities.

In other news, the rollout of real time information for public transport services is almost imminent. It was meant to be done back in November last year, but Adelaide Metro have taken the extra time to refine the system a bit more.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2144 Post by Vee » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 am

[Shuz] wrote: In other news, the rollout of real time information for public transport services is almost imminent. It was meant to be done back in November last year, but Adelaide Metro have taken the extra time to refine the system a bit more.
Good to hear, Shuz.
I am looking forward to the provision of real-time information. It should be a boon for public transport and passengers, particularly where services are more frequent. (Frustration killer NOT, if you have just missed a bus/train and the next one is half an hour/hour away.)

I don't mind waiting extra time to 'refine the system' to fully test and iron out annoying bugs before introducing any new service.

The Metro Card system rollout was pretty smooth and it works well. I don't understand why there are still quite a few passengers (excluding tourists/visitors) who have not made the transition. It really highlights the time saving of swiping a card.

Perhaps it's time for Adelaide Metro to win over the reluctant/ignorant/phobic? users and do a bit of a blitz, clever promotion/campaign to push the benefits/ease, cost-savings of using a Metro card? Resources could be utilized for the swelling numbers of short and longer stay visitors coming to Adelaide for various Festivals, sporting events etc and taking advantage of the improved flight links from O/S.

[Shuz]

#2145 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 am

Now that the MetroCard system has been in place for a few months now, I really fail to see the reason for keeping the existing Crouzier ticketing system for the single trip and day trip tickets - it really does seem quite pointless, and I don't' see any reason why we couldn't have just gone down the path of Melbourne's Myki system (but with less failures! :P) and have just the one card for all and force visitors to buy a card. They're only $5. Hardly anything to cry about.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#2146 Post by Tonsley213 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Now that the MetroCard system has been in place for a few months now, I really fail to see the reason for keeping the existing Crouzier ticketing system for the single trip and day trip tickets - it really does seem quite pointless, and I don't' see any reason why we couldn't have just gone down the path of Melbourne's Myki system (but with less failures! :P) and have just the one card for all and force visitors to buy a card. They're only $5. Hardly anything to cry about.
You've made yourself seem very stupid with this comment.

Have you been to Melbourne, do you know how difficult it is to get a Myki.

Why would you force once off travellers to buy an unnecessary card, this would most defiantly turn people off.

Having the ability to board a bus and buy a paper ticket rather than have to find a retailer and buy the card for $10.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2147 Post by muzzamo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:13 pm

There are many systems around the world that force customers to buy the stored value cards.

There are a few reasons that come to mind such as no longer having a need for any cash handling facilities/security.

The most significant reason for it, imo, is that in truely congested systems (eg Adelaide city bus stops in peak hour), the 30 seconds or so that is wasted while someone buys a ticket is 30 seconds that the system doesn't have to spare. To take the city bus stops as an example, this could mean multiple buses queuing behind for the stop when they should already be at the stop.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2148 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Now that the MetroCard system has been in place for a few months now, I really fail to see the reason for keeping the existing Crouzier ticketing system for the single trip and day trip tickets - it really does seem quite pointless, and I don't' see any reason why we couldn't have just gone down the path of Melbourne's Myki system (but with less failures! :P) and have just the one card for all and force visitors to buy a card. They're only $5. Hardly anything to cry about.

Why would you force once off travellers to buy an unnecessary card, this would most defiantly turn people off.

Having the ability to board a bus and buy a paper ticket rather than have to find a retailer and buy the card for $10.
Difficult to buy a Myki?

ROFL!

Buying a Myki is incredibly easy.

Likewise buying a Metrocard is easy.

Maybe one way to encourage Metrocard use is to increase the paper ticket fares and at the same time drop the Metrocard fares.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2149 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 pm

You can't buy metrocards on buses, trains or trams. Same with MyKi.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#2150 Post by Tonsley213 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tonsley213 wrote:

Difficult to buy a Myki?

ROFL!

Buying a Myki is incredibly easy.

Likewise buying a Metrocard is easy.

Maybe one way to encourage Metrocard use is to increase the paper ticket fares and at the same time drop the Metrocard fares.
Buying a Myki is not incredibly easy, you must go and find a retailer to buy one. Same with Metrocard, I cant just rock up on a bus and buy one.

People don't seem to understand that you can no longer buy Multitrip Metrotickets and it is starting to piss me off. The cheapest metroticket you can now buy is the $1.30 student single trick which is far more than the $0.87 on MetroCard.

Educate yourselves before talking out your ass can make you not look so stupid. Its not bloody difficult. :wallbash:

Vjkdigital
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2151 Post by Vjkdigital » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Myself on a few occasions has had my card run out, and had to buy a paper ticket instead. Without this option, i would have to turn around and go find a recharge station.

Patrick_27

#2153 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 am

I agree with Tonsley, as a resident of Melbourne (which I'd say a majority of you aren't); MyKi is only convenient for people who use the system everyday: they can top up their card on-line, in 7-Eleven's or via the machines. However, as a tourist or one time user of PT the system which you must buy a $5.00 card is stupid, and not being within appropriate distance to buy a card is also stupid. Whilst 7-Eleven has extensive reach, for a lot of people getting to a 7-Eleven without PT is hard, and usually people take the risk of getting on a tram to go get themselves a card. But if you're only serviced by buses in your area (like Caroline Springs), you're screwed. Not to mention the flaws with the system (like overcharging your card), and the excessive cost of using PT in Melbourne. I understand their fazing out of the old ticketing in Melbourne was to make on-going PT users switch to MyKi but it leaves a black hole with in-frequent users or tourists. And with hefty PT policing in Melbourne, your chances of getting caught are pretty high.

Don't even get me started on their concession system either, rather than just using your tertiary card and having concession tickets; you must get a personalised PT concession card (a passport style photo and personal details - must be updated every year), and then go get your concession MyKi card. And for interstate visitors, the only concession available is for Seniors, all other concessions don't apply.

About the only thing this city does well with PT is their policing of fare evaders and frequency/prompt with arrival and departure.

rubberman

#2154 Post by rubberman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:53 am

Most tourists either enter or live somewhere in Melbourne close to the CBD. It is therefore mind boggling that someone could think it hard to get a card. Sure, someone who arrives from interstate by road and has accommodation in a remote suburb without a sales outlet nearby, fair enough. But realistically, how many tourists are in that category?

I also believe that one can purchase a card on line. (Although I have never tried).

There is almost zero excuse for not being able to get a card. The only person that should feel aggrieved is the person who has to make an immediate trip to Melbourne and so cannot get a card in advance, and whose accommodation is in the sticks where there is no outlet, and who arrives by road and no where along that road is an outlet. I do feel sympathy for these people. :cry:

As for the five dollar purchase price. That is a question of pricing, and just like all questions of pricing, you have to make a decision as to whether or not it is worth it. It may be that for some people, that extra five dollars means a taxi is a better option. So be it. I understand that everyone wants to ride as cheaply as possible...just as those same riders when they are taxpayers resent high taxes and prefer users to pay for services. :roll:

I suspect that some people will be happy with the present setup, and would complain bitterly if it were changed. So that the authorities are in a no-win situation here. No matter what they did in terms of charging or availability, someone would have a beef.

What I like about Adelaide is that we managed to build a workable card system in very short time and at a fraction of the cost of the MYKIs and Oysters of this world elsewhere. An outstanding performance of which Adelaide can be proud. :applause: :banana: :applause: :cheers:

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#2155 Post by mattwinter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:19 am

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/18805074/ton ... ring-line/

Surely you can't cancel a project that is already half way though construction?