[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#401 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 am

rev wrote:
crowdoc wrote:Surely it is only a matter of time now before those salt pans are redeveloped into something else. All the engineering for this connector is going to isolate them from the sea. it would be a site with some environmental and civil engineering problems but would still be of value, so close to a city and major road. Reclaiming this area could be a huge boost to the local economy. The problem in the past when Lend lease looked at it was the cost, but now the feds are going to pay for the major engineering and infrastructure needed.
Yes, there's plans to turn it into housing and what not. There should be a thread on it in the Metropolitan subforum.
The government would be wrong to sell anything west of the connector on the grounds of preserving key environmental areas.

bits
Legendary Member!

#402 Post by bits » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
The government would be wrong to sell anything west of the connector on the grounds of preserving key environmental areas.
The plan shows west of the project is land for use for environment.
The land is also prone to flooding, the road is elevated 3m and will act as a wall to protect the development to the east.

ChillyPhilly

#403 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm surprised that there was no improved connection with Kings Road honestly (red line).

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#404 Post by Goodsy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:42 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:I'm surprised that there was no improved connection with Kings Road honestly (red line).

That would make too much sense

ChillyPhilly

#405 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:46 pm

There's a concept map for the above in the City of Salisbury Development Plan.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#406 Post by rev » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:49 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:I'm surprised that there was no improved connection with Kings Road honestly (red line).

Yeh, as much sense as the 5 way intersection at Gepps Cross.

[Shuz]

#407 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:48 am

You know what doesn't make sense? That northbound offramp from the NC onto Bolivar Road. How bloody windy does the road need to be?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#408 Post by drsmith » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:46 am

[Shuz] wrote:You know what doesn't make sense? That northbound offramp from the NC onto Bolivar Road. How bloody windy does the road need to be?
That will be to slow traffic from the 110km/h posted highway speed limit upon approach to the sharp right hand curve to cross above the expressway. That curve may be deliberately sharp to ensure traffic is sufficiently slowed on what will be a short downhill approach to a 4-way signalised intersection.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#409 Post by Goodsy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:13 pm

[Shuz] wrote:You know what doesn't make sense? That northbound offramp from the NC onto Bolivar Road. How bloody windy does the road need to be?
Within a year a truck will roll on that exit, taking bets now

SBD

#410 Post by SBD » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:53 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Interesting traffic design dilemma - is it better to make winding road so that an inadequate and inattentive driver rolls off the bank onto the salt flats, or build a wide smooth curve so they can plough through the red light at Port Wakefield Road.

I doubt there will be a lot of trucks taking that exit anyway - more likely to be tired office and warehouse workers on their way home after a long day.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#411 Post by Goodsy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:27 pm

SBD wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:
Interesting traffic design dilemma - is it better to make winding road so that an inadequate and inattentive driver rolls off the bank onto the salt flats, or build a wide smooth curve so they can plough through the red light at Port Wakefield Road.

I doubt there will be a lot of trucks taking that exit anyway - more likely to be tired office and warehouse workers on their way home after a long day.

There's quite a few trucking companies tucked away at Waterloo Corner, although they'd use the Waterloo Corner exit. I can still see it happening

ChillyPhilly

#412 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:23 pm

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:

This is in the City of Salisbury Development Plan.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#413 Post by Goodsy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Because of an accident at Bolivar road it took an hour to get from Churchill Road North to Virginia today. I hope the NC is built ahead of schedule.

I hate you Port Wakefield Road, whos idea was it to have a single 2 lane road as the only way north out of Adelaide.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#414 Post by rogue » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:54 pm

There is also the proposal for the Elder Smith Road extension to PW Road that could continue to NC and link Mawson Lakes etc

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#415 Post by rev » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:50 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
rev wrote:

This is in the City of Salisbury Development Plan.

Yeh, except the Salisbury development plan doesn't include NC and the Bolivar interchange.

The Salisbury development plan actually removes the Bolivar rd-Port Wakefield rd intersection and creates a new one a little further south.

Why would it make more sense to add a fifth entry/exit to that intersection in the NC plan?
What major difference will it make, instead of driving down Kings road and turning left onto Bolivar road? You are going to save 15 seconds?