News & Discussion: Height Limits

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: No more height restrictions in Adelaide?!

#271 Post by skyliner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Stunning news! It IS finally happening! Couple this with Adelaide office vacancy rates dropping (No other capital is) and you have a recipe for a top city. So impressed :D :D :D :D

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATE CTY SKYLINE
Jack.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#272 Post by Jim » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:50 pm

What great news! When you look around Adelaide at the moment there is probably several hundred floors under construction or about to be, but with out some tall buildings breaking the skyline we are not capitalizing on the boom.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#273 Post by Brando » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:18 pm

Jim wrote:What great news! When you look around Adelaide at the moment there is probably several hundred floors under construction or about to be, but with out some tall buildings breaking the skyline we are not capitalizing on the boom.
I think Kevin Foley is clearly sending his message loud and clear. First the ACC stripped of it's development powers and now his idea for taller buildings in the CBD and beyond. If developers don't take the hint then maybe they are the backwater.
Things will no doubt change in the next few years. Adelaide will come of age and give the impression of a successful and vibrant city.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#274 Post by Wayno » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:39 pm

After re-reading this article i noticed it does not make reference to relaxing the height allowance for CBD buildings. Foley was quoted as saying "a modern city like Adelaide needs height" and we are perhaps being a bit quick to interpret this as including the CBD.

His obvious focus is the TODs, and specifically the Clipsal site in this case.
Last edited by Wayno on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#275 Post by Joely » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Wow! Where did this come from! I'm speechless!! 1 word........FINALLY!! :mrgreen: Maybe soon we can knock Brisbane off its pedestal!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#276 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Poll results update:
599 votes support the following actions:

21% Moderate height increases
60% 'Sky's the limit' height increases
13% Keep the limitation as it is.
4% Lower the limitations.

To summarise, the news is overwhelmingingly supportive (81% favour height increases, one way or another). 4 in every 5 people have sanity!

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#277 Post by Just build it » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Would love to meet the few who voted for height limits to be lowered, what an exciting bunch they would be. :roll:

I agree that the article gives nothing more solid than a positive vibe and an underlying message that they'll look positively at building heights developers wouldn't have even considered for Adelaide in the past. But if he's absolutely fine with 15-20 levels and possibly 30-ish on the Clipsal Site then it sure looks good for CBD increases too.

I'd love to know what's happening behind the scenes of Spire and possibly the Currie St tower. Would they now prefer to go a little higher?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#278 Post by Wayno » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:56 pm

Just build it wrote:But if he's absolutely fine with 15-20 levels and possibly 30-ish on the Clipsal Site...
this is unlikely - Clipsal is directly under the flight path, and closer to the airport than the CBD. I don't have the OLS data for this area - i think we'll be lucky to have 12 levels before breaching safety limits...
Just build it wrote:I'd love to know what's happening behind the scenes of Spire and possibly the Currie St tower. Would they now prefer to go a little higher?
this is highly possible.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#279 Post by Jim » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:40 pm

Keep the view,
It may be all very well to have Adelaide planned on a grid but when it comes to building high rise and tower blocks can we please angle them or have set backs so that the inhabitants can retain a view. I am in favor of taller slander buildings with less bulk. I would be so peeved if I had one of the northern windows on the Optus building and the new Hills tower completely blocked my view. In Adelaide we should stop looking at limiting heights and limit ugly bulk. The taller the better please.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#280 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:37 am

The bronx anyone?

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#281 Post by Just build it » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:08 am

More 'new' London than the Bronx I'd hope. :mrgreen:

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#282 Post by Jim » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:14 pm

More architectural merit rather than height limits please! The sky's the limit if it has architectural merit!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#283 Post by Howie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Wayno wrote: this is unlikely - Clipsal is directly under the flight path, and closer to the airport than the CBD. I don't have the OLS data for this area - i think we'll be lucky to have 12 levels before breaching safety limits...
Actually the CBD is 4.02kms from the airport, and the clipsal site is 6.40kms from the airport. Conservatively speaking the height limits should be around 150m for this region, maybe a tad more.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#284 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Yes, Westpac is the same distance from the airport than Bowden.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#285 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I find it hard to understand the manic 'height at all costs' attitudes of some posters here.

I also query Foley's credibility as an urban design expert.

While Adelaide must evolve, it should do so to its own best advantage and in its own interests, and not just prositute itself by giving up its land to all comers.

I know of no other city in the world which has no height restrictions on development.

If some poseters here had their way, we would end up like the last pub open on a Friday night: 'If everywhere else is shut, or if you've been thrown out or are barred from everywhere lese, you're welcome here. No dress rules, no restriction on behaviour, you're welcome to vomit and leave.