News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
abc
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#781 Post by abc » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:36 pm

Vasco wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:12 pm
agree with sentiments above about townhouses as a poor use of space at a site like this.

They should be building 3 bedroom appartments, however not in the traditional sense where they are built as more luxurious with a price to match, just liveable and affordable.

It shouldn’t be that much more costly to add the extra bedroom + bathroom, + standard laundry and kitchen, with a bit more natural light in the 2/3 bedrooms.

This would go far in providing additional options for families during this crisis.

Same goes for the former proposed Kaufland site at Prospect / Islington. Completely wasted opportunity for higher density in an area that wouldn’t have had complaints about overshadowing and with train line on doorstep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so ghetto tenements then?

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#782 Post by Vasco » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:43 pm

abc wrote:
Vasco wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:12 pm
agree with sentiments above about townhouses as a poor use of space at a site like this.

They should be building 3 bedroom appartments, however not in the traditional sense where they are built as more luxurious with a price to match, just liveable and affordable.

It shouldn’t be that much more costly to add the extra bedroom + bathroom, + standard laundry and kitchen, with a bit more natural light in the 2/3 bedrooms.

This would go far in providing additional options for families during this crisis.

Same goes for the former proposed Kaufland site at Prospect / Islington. Completely wasted opportunity for higher density in an area that wouldn’t have had complaints about overshadowing and with train line on doorstep.

so ghetto tenements then?
Ever been to Europe or Asia? Whole families can live in appartments without them being ghettos.

And if you have better suggestions to add to the mix for a solution to what is and will be an ongoing housing crisis (due to a lack of innovation over the decades) please let us all know.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#783 Post by Saltwater » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:30 am

Therein lies the problem of apartments in Australia... they are perceived as being sub-par as compared to landed houses. And maybe that is at least partially justified with some of the quality issues seen interstate, which has seen entire buildings deemed unlivable.

Agree the offering overseas is streets ahead, and the setup would be great for families. Large, spacious apartments with fresh air and great views, and some of them come with resort-like facilities including gyms, large pools, and outdoor bbq entertaining areas. Hopefully we start to see more of the same in Australia soon, to add to the housing mix and reduce the amount of greenfield development.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#784 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:30 am
Therein lies the problem of apartments in Australia... they are perceived as being sub-par as compared to landed houses. And maybe that is at least partially justified with some of the quality issues seen interstate, which has seen entire buildings deemed unlivable.

Agree the offering overseas is streets ahead, and the setup would be great for families. Large, spacious apartments with fresh air and great views, and some of them come with resort-like facilities including gyms, large pools, and outdoor bbq entertaining areas. Hopefully we start to see more of the same in Australia soon, to add to the housing mix and reduce the amount of greenfield development.
Not sure the resort style facilities are the way to go, they add a massive cost on to ongoing strata fees. They should be provided at a neighbourhood level.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#785 Post by Jaymz » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:27 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:22 pm
Saltwater wrote:

Not sure the resort style facilities are the way to go, they add a massive cost on to ongoing strata fees. They should be provided at a neighbourhood level.
You beat me to it. Was gonna say, I live in an apartment building without any of the mentioned facilities and that's exactly how I prefer it. I mean, my Strata fees are already high enough without all the extra cost of upkeep on gym, pool, BBQ area etc. Things that I might use a couple of times a year, not really worth it IMO.

Nathan

#786 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:16 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:27 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:22 pm
Saltwater wrote:

You beat me to it. Was gonna say, I live in an apartment building without any of the mentioned facilities and that's exactly how I prefer it. I mean, my Strata fees are already high enough without all the extra cost of upkeep on gym, pool, BBQ area etc. Things that I might use a couple of times a year, not really worth it IMO.
I lived for a few years in a CBD apartment, which had a small rooftop pool. I can count the number of times we used it on one hand.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#787 Post by Saltwater » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:48 pm

I take your point, and hate to make assumptions so apologies if I'm wide of the mark, but I'm guessing when living in an apartment you were young and / or didn't have a young family - and many apartment builds will continue to cater for that market.

My point was that if we are to entice families away from landed houses, and into higher density living, apartment blocks with more facilities on offer may be a way to achieve that. Make it desirable for a family of four to give up a house with a backyard, if they can live in a good sized apartment with outdoor facilities they can use on site. These won't be for everyone, but importantly will add to the housing mix.

Nathan

#788 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:24 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:48 pm
I take your point, and hate to make assumptions so apologies if I'm wide of the mark, but I'm guessing when living in an apartment you were young and / or didn't have a young family - and many apartment builds will continue to cater for that market.

My point was that if we are to entice families away from landed houses, and into higher density living, apartment blocks with more facilities on offer may be a way to achieve that. Make it desirable for a family of four to give up a house with a backyard, if they can live in a good sized apartment with outdoor facilities they can use on site. These won't be for everyone, but importantly will add to the housing mix.
After that place, we moved to Stepney into another apartment, and then bought our current apartment in Bowden ten years ago — as a "young family".

What's important is that those kind of facilities are accessible, they don't have to be in the building. Having a park on our doorstep, and the parklands a 5min walk away, is a much bigger enticement than a private courtyard for the building. Likewise having the aquatic centre up the road with proper leisure pools is far more preferable than a 10m lap pool.

Incidentally, the increase in 3-bedroom townhouses in the area was supposed to target families, but that hasn't necessarily been reflected in who has actually purchased them (according to Renewal SA), instead being preferred by what they call "nearly retirees".

SBD

#789 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 am

When people continually read "South Australians prefer..." or "South Australians won't buy...", they become self-fulfilling prophecies.

Perhaps "South Australians prefer choice" or "South Australians aren't all the same, and so their housing preferences wn't be the same either".

If there are no "good" 3-bedroom apartments in "good" neighbourhoods, then nobody will buy one, simply because it isn't there. They will "prefer" what is available in a preferred area at a reasonable price. SOme will opt for less bedrooms, sme for townhouses or detached housing.

Some people prefer a private garden. Some see a garden as a liability they have to pay someone to maintain. Some will prefer a "private" shared pool and gym in the strata development, but some would prefer not having those facilities in the strata fees, and be members of a pool/gym down the street.

If I can't walk naked from my bedroom to my pool and go for a skinnydip at 3pm (or 3am), then it's not really a private pool.

If I can't see an "option" and imagine it could work, then I won't consider it. Seeing friends in a CBD "retirement village" apartment within walking distance of the theatre and Adelaide Oval works for people who want those forms of entertainment, but their apartment won't work for someone who wants to continue to practice playing a grand piano at random hours and is afraid of the balcony rail.

abc
Legendary Member!

#790 Post by abc » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:05 am

Nathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:24 pm
Saltwater wrote:

After that place, we moved to Stepney into another apartment, and then bought our current apartment in Bowden ten years ago — as a "young family".

What's important is that those kind of facilities are accessible, they don't have to be in the building. Having a park on our doorstep, and the parklands a 5min walk away, is a much bigger enticement than a private courtyard for the building. Likewise having the aquatic centre up the road with proper leisure pools is far more preferable than a 10m lap pool.

Incidentally, the increase in 3-bedroom townhouses in the area was supposed to target families, but that hasn't necessarily been reflected in who has actually purchased them (according to Renewal SA), instead being preferred by what they call "nearly retirees".
that's a reality of the demographics of South Australia

SBD

#791 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:33 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:05 am
Nathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:24 pm
Saltwater wrote:

that's a reality of the demographics of South Australia
I imagine these things take time. For their entire lives, the parents in the "young families" have been told that the "great Australian dream" is to buy their own house with a backyard. If their parents (the "nearly retirees") move into three-bedroom townhouses and apartments, their kids will be able to see the advantages, and maybe eventually take over from their parents.

PeFe

#792 Post by PeFe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:58 pm

Build to Rent proposal next to Plant 4

From Indaily
Plans revealed for 13-storey build-to-rent community in Bowden

An international property company’s plans for a 240-apartment, 13-storey development on a prime piece of land in Bowden have been released. See the pictures

Newly released plans for an apartment complex near Plant 4 in Bowden. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

The State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) will next week assess plans lodged by Sentinel Real Estate Corporation for a 13-storey mixed use development on a 4000-square metre site adjacent to the Plant 4 retail destination in Bowden.

Sentinel, headquartered in New York with offices in Australia, struck a deal in 2022 with the state government’s land agency, Renewal SA, to deliver a build-to-rent community on the prime inner-city land parcel.

The site of the proposed development between Second Street, Third Street and Gibson Street, Bowden. The vacant car park is around 50-metres away from Bowden train station. Photo: Renewal SA/Sentinel

Build-to-rent is a model whereby all dwellings in an apartment complex are managed by a single operator rather than separate investors and owners. While tenants often pay higher than market rents, they also benefit from longer leases and better amenity.

The model is more common in Europe and the United States.

Renewal SA says Sentinel’s Bowden development will be the first build-to-rent community in South Australia and is worth $100 million.

Plans published by the SCAP this week show Sentinel proposes 240 apartments for the site, which is currently a car park.

The majority of the 124 apartments will be one-bedroom, while 11 will be studio apartments, 80 two-beds and 25 three-beds.

A view of the development from the corner of Gibson Street and Second Street. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

A view of the development from Gibson Street. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

A gym is planned for level four of the building along with two outdoor communal areas and a swimming pool. There will also be 254 car parks contained from the ground floor to level five.

But only one “small scale” retail tenancy is proposed for the development alongside a small leasing office and business centre on the ground floor.

A view of the development looking northwest. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

It comes after Bowden residents raised concerns last year that there are not enough essential services in the area and the promise of Bowden as a pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use neighbourhood is yet to be realised.

Those residents also said the Sentinel proposal lacks “the expected level of retail and commercial space needed to deliver the mixed-used and main-street promises”.

But planning consultants Future Urban, on behalf of Sentinel, argued the small-scale retail offering was “appropriate” because the complex is located next to Plant 4.

They also said the retail tenancy will “still offer an additional service to the local community”.

“A larger retail space was not chosen due to the sites proximity to Plant 4 Bowden which offers a large retail area to the community,” the consultants said.

https://www.indaily.com.au/news/local/2 ... -in-bowden

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#793 Post by Will » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:51 pm

Approved.

Construction set to commence early next year.

PeFe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:58 pm
Build to Rent proposal next to Plant 4

From Indaily
Plans revealed for 13-storey build-to-rent community in Bowden

An international property company’s plans for a 240-apartment, 13-storey development on a prime piece of land in Bowden have been released. See the pictures

Newly released plans for an apartment complex near Plant 4 in Bowden. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

The State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) will next week assess plans lodged by Sentinel Real Estate Corporation for a 13-storey mixed use development on a 4000-square metre site adjacent to the Plant 4 retail destination in Bowden.

Sentinel, headquartered in New York with offices in Australia, struck a deal in 2022 with the state government’s land agency, Renewal SA, to deliver a build-to-rent community on the prime inner-city land parcel.

The site of the proposed development between Second Street, Third Street and Gibson Street, Bowden. The vacant car park is around 50-metres away from Bowden train station. Photo: Renewal SA/Sentinel

Build-to-rent is a model whereby all dwellings in an apartment complex are managed by a single operator rather than separate investors and owners. While tenants often pay higher than market rents, they also benefit from longer leases and better amenity.

The model is more common in Europe and the United States.

Renewal SA says Sentinel’s Bowden development will be the first build-to-rent community in South Australia and is worth $100 million.

Plans published by the SCAP this week show Sentinel proposes 240 apartments for the site, which is currently a car park.

The majority of the 124 apartments will be one-bedroom, while 11 will be studio apartments, 80 two-beds and 25 three-beds.

A view of the development from the corner of Gibson Street and Second Street. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

A view of the development from Gibson Street. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

A gym is planned for level four of the building along with two outdoor communal areas and a swimming pool. There will also be 254 car parks contained from the ground floor to level five.

But only one “small scale” retail tenancy is proposed for the development alongside a small leasing office and business centre on the ground floor.

A view of the development looking northwest. Image: Future Urban/Architectus

It comes after Bowden residents raised concerns last year that there are not enough essential services in the area and the promise of Bowden as a pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use neighbourhood is yet to be realised.

Those residents also said the Sentinel proposal lacks “the expected level of retail and commercial space needed to deliver the mixed-used and main-street promises”.

But planning consultants Future Urban, on behalf of Sentinel, argued the small-scale retail offering was “appropriate” because the complex is located next to Plant 4.

They also said the retail tenancy will “still offer an additional service to the local community”.

“A larger retail space was not chosen due to the sites proximity to Plant 4 Bowden which offers a large retail area to the community,” the consultants said.

https://www.indaily.com.au/news/local/2 ... -in-bowden

ChillyPhilly

#794 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:24 pm

Will be great for the area, but this still gets to me:

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

JK99
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#795 Post by JK99 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:43 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:24 pm
Will be great for the area, but this still gets to me:
I hear ya! it's annoying that they have blinkers on and believe retail is all about food & coffee.

I see they have tried to remedy the inability to locate a chemist in the area by offering free delivery from 2 nearby chemists. I guess that is something.

I'm still hopeful the gasworks site will provide a space for more diverse retail.