News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Kasey771
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#701 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:01 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:would I be the only one interested in seeing a recent nearmap image of the works?
Unfortunately the days of Near Map catering for private casual observers are over. They only cater for businesses that require their satellite maps at exorbitant prices.
Yeah I know :( I just remember the good ol' days and was wishing for a birds eye glimpse.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#702 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:18 pm

But their audience is businesses. The toolset is a big giveaway.

BTW, there is a demo set which covers the north west of the CBD, plus Mile End, Thebarton and some of Hindmarsh & Bowden. Enter your username and password as demo

ChillyPhilly

#703 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:57 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:would I be the only one interested in seeing a recent nearmap image of the works?
Unfortunately the days of Near Map catering for private casual observers are over. They only cater for businesses that require their satellite maps at exorbitant prices.
It was free until a tertiary institution (think it was Monash University) decided in about 2011 to download a huuuge amount of map tiles. Since then, it's been available only on paid licence. UniSA enquired about it but the minimum fee of $50k was too much.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe

#704 Post by PeFe » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:19 pm

A sensible suggestion
$200m plaza upgrade — now for a bus to it: Traders, commuters call for O-Bahn link to Tea Tree Plaza

TRADERS and commuters have backed calls to connect the O-Bahn with Tea Tea Plaza, following the announcement Westfield will spend $200 million on a redevelopment of the shopping centre.
Many want Westfield and the State Government to create an enclosed link from the centre to bus terminals as part of the mall’s upgrade, considering the Parklands tunnel at the CBD end of the track is expected to be completed next year.
Tea Tree Gully Mayor Kevin Knight outlined a vision last year when the $160 million O-Bahn tunnel project was announced to enclose the Modbury interchange so commuters could travel between terminals and the shopping centre without having to go outside.
Mr Knight repeated his calls this week, saying connecting the centre and interchange would create more foot traffic and boost business in the area.

Full article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... a690ecf21b

ChillyPhilly

#705 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:23 am

Sensible and something I agree with, but is it necessary? It's literally less than a minute's walk from the interchange to the entrance of TTP.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#706 Post by Waewick » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:15 am

Why doesn't the council or Westfield pay for it given it will get the benefit.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#707 Post by duke » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:03 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Sensible and something I agree with, but is it necessary? It's literally less than a minute's walk from the interchange to the entrance of TTP.
Considering I was quoted in that article without asking if they could quote me.. People seem to be focusing on distance, and rain.
My suggestion had nothing to do with that.

There are a number of key points

- The park 'n ride, is already full and they have now closed the old park. The interchange itself is a perfect location to have parks built on top, just like the bus station in the CBD.

- There has been talk many times about a second food court at TTP. Anyone that goes to the food court on a weekend knows how hard it is to get a table. Food on top of the interchange would be perfect.

- Adding apartments on top maybe targeted at elderly living would provide more customers to the shops, along with direct access for those living there to the CBD. I'm sure many older couples would like medium rise living, but out of the CBD with easy bus access.

- Small Coffee shops "stall" style in the middle of the interchange would be perfect for people grabbing something on their way through. They could also sell tickets rather than wasting time when the bus turns up. Weekdays is not too bad. But on weekends few people have metrocards, causing huge delays.

- An enclosed bus interchange would make people feel more secure. 24/7 security, better seating and facilities. It would be more like the CBD train station.

- An enclosed interchange could force people to exit through an upstairs area with links to car parking, TTP, and back streets. This would make it safer as people wouldn't need to, or be able to cross the path of the buses.

None of this was a government funded idea. It should be funded by a mutual group of invested parties with a government body bringing the groups together to ensure the outcome is beneficial for all involved. Groups would be Westfield, developers and businesses wanting to rent space.

EBG

#708 Post by EBG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Some pictures from Sunday 14 Aug 16. (1) work on the Tunnel walls looking south West from Dequetiville Tce back to Rundle Rd. There are some other service pipes being temporally supported. (2) the retaining walls leading to the tunnel entrance off Grenell St definitely rise up above the existing ground level.
Attachments
20160814_obahn 1.jpg
20160814_obahn 1.jpg (363.47 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
20160814_obahn 2.jpg
20160814_obahn 2.jpg (311.68 KiB) Viewed 3616 times

how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-B

#709 Post by how good is he » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Pretty shocked just how high the retaining walls are above ground (3m or more at peak) for a tunnel. Looking forward to see how they will landscape to cover it. Maybe a green plant wall along it?

PeFe

#710 Post by PeFe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:06 am

Yes a green wall......before it is "tagged" with spray can scribble

Waewick

Re: News & Discussion: O-B

#711 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:10 pm

how good is he wrote:Pretty shocked just how high the retaining walls are above ground (3m or more at peak) for a tunnel. Looking forward to see how they will landscape to cover it. Maybe a green plant wall along it?
I was the same, I really expect the entrance to be close to Grenfell street too.

I'm hoping they have something planned to make it less obvious.

EBG

#712 Post by EBG » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:43 pm

There is a lot of 'saved dirt' in heaps close to the site, both at the Grenfell St end and near Dequetivlle Tce.

SBD

#713 Post by SBD » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:14 am

I have not seen the stockpile of dirt that was where the tunnel is going to be. It stands to reason there will be dirt left over that has to go somewhere, although it may not all be good topsoil. Also, from a stormwater management perspective, the "approach roads" to the tunnel probably needs to slope away from the tunnel to prevent a sudden downpour from filling the tunnel faster than pumps and deep drains can get the water out again. Grenfell Street is higher than the park, so there has to be some interesting engineering to get the levels right so that the tunnel does not become the direct route for rain falling in Grenfell Street to find its way to the Torrens, even if one or two drains are blocked somewhere. Hopefully by the time it is finished, the road will look like it is entering the side of an attractive low hill. I think we (the public) have only seen marketing artist's impressions, not engineering and architectural drawings.

The Scooter Guy

#714 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Drone's Eye View:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 2f8ca487e7

The Sunday Mail contracted a licensed drone operator to capture images of the $160 million construction project from the air.
The aerial photographs reveal the magnitude of the project. Tunnel works began in April, and at the end of the month construction workers will begin placing a “lid” over the tunnel, made of large concrete slabs.
It will later be covered by grass and other plants, returning much of the area to parklands.
Workers will also have to fit out the inside of the tunnel by installing lighting and electrical connections.
The dirt dug out to clear the tunnel will later be used to backfill gaps and cover the concrete lid before landscaping can take place.
The whole project is expected to be complete by the end of next year.
The State Government says the 650m bus tunnel, from Hackney Rd to East Tce, will reduce daily bus commute times by an average seven minutes.
The construction works create a tunnel through Rymill Park to connect the bus route to Grenfell St.
The dedicated bus tunnel begins adjacent the National Wine Centre and emerges at East Tce, near Grenfell St.
The Transport and Infrastructure Department is working with the Adelaide City Council on plans for steel art structures and landscaping at the entry points to the tunnel.
A department spokesman said it was preparing to release more detailed concept images in about a month, after further approvals from the Development Assessment Commission. Residents and community and business leaders had campaigned strongly against the project, arguing it would “butcher” the parklands.
The Rymill Park Alliance — a collection of 12 community groups — was formed to lobby the Government to scrap or amend the project.
More than 1000 protested in Rymill Park in June last year. The backlash prompted the Government to revise its plans.
More than 31,000 people use the O-Bahn on weekdays and commuters make more than eight million journeys on the route each year.
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan has previously said that realigning Rundle Rd to connect with Grenfell St would give the Government the “flexibility to talk in the future” about extending a tramline to the eastern suburbs along the old tram corridor through Rymill Park.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#715 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:35 pm

wow :applause: That is progress right there!