News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Parcels of undeveloped land?!

#106 Post by Ho Really » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:36 pm

Cruise Control wrote:Wouldn't that render new bridges practically useless?
Probably would, but the rail line could be diverted to connect to the Outer Harbor line at Glanville/Birkenhead and then encircle Port Adelaide back to the old Port Dock line to Alberton. The road bridge would always have a use regardless, even if there would be a little less traffic. Interesting though isn't?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#107 Post by Ho Really » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:37 pm

rogue wrote:Aren't there contamination issues with the soil within the old MFP area?
I think this was minimal.

Cheers

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#108 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:20 pm

What does MFP stand for? :?:

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#109 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:40 pm

crawf wrote:What does MFP stand for? :?:
Multi Function Polis

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#110 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Whoops! In my utopioa, the old Glanville to Outer Harbor line would stay, and the twin river crossings would go, allowing yacht mooring in the Inner Harbor and helping the development along.

As for cost, I was thinking that the high price of land in the 'Golden Finger' of Le Fevre peninsula would be high enough to make it all work.

It's interesting about the salt pans. You certainly do learn something every day. Maybe we could have pepper pans there too and corner the market.

Ho Really

#111 Post by Ho Really » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:03 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Whoops! In my utopioa, the old Glanville to Outer Harbor line would stay, and the twin river crossings would go, allowing yacht mooring in the Inner Harbor and helping the development along.
The road and rail bridges could have easily been substituted by tunnels under the channel. In Holland they have dropped large precast tunnel sections into canals and then sealed them. This technique could easily have been the solution at Port Adelaide thus keeping the Inner harbor accessible to large pleasure boats and tall masted yachts. Albeit, we have idiots in government.

Cheers

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#112 Post by ynotsfables » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 pm

rogue wrote:
crawf wrote:What does MFP stand for? :?:
Multi Function Polis
Multi functinal city. Polis is greek for city such as in the word metro-polis. I can't remember what metro means though.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by AG » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Ho Really wrote:The road and rail bridges could have easily been substituted by tunnels under the channel. In Holland they have dropped large precast tunnel sections into canals and then sealed them. This technique could easily have been the solution at Port Adelaide thus keeping the Inner harbor accessible to large pleasure boats and tall masted yachts. Albeit, we have idiots in government.

Cheers
I think you'll find economic and space related issues (moreso on the Le Fevre Peninsula side) led to the Government's decision to build opening bridges instead of higher bridges or tunnels instead. I haven't seen that many tall ships pass into Port Adelaide any time I have been there. I would've rather seen a higher bridge or a tunnel instead as well though.

Ho Really

#114 Post by Ho Really » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:38 pm

AG wrote:I think you'll find economic and space related issues (moreso on the Le Fevre Peninsula side) led to the Government's decision to build opening bridges instead of higher bridges or tunnels instead. I haven't seen that many tall ships pass into Port Adelaide any time I have been there. I would've rather seen a higher bridge or a tunnel instead as well though.
Space may have been an issue on the Le Fevre Peninsula side if tunnels were built, but this would have depended on what depth the prefabs were laid and how much land could have been acquired if the tunnel went deeper. As for the money, an opening bridge is more expensive than a static one, even if it was a little higher. A prefab tunnel with some dredging would not have been any more expensive than what we have now. I am not sure if at any stage the government considered this option and whether any info was released to the public. I know there was one letter written in The Advertiser and I'm not sure if there were more. As you know the whole point of keeping the Inner Harbor accessible is for tourism and leisure. There's always the possibility of foreign naval ships, training ships and even small cruise ships visiting. We need these options to keep the Inner Harbor alive. Let's hope the developers around Docks 1 and 2 keep this in mind.

Cheers

sensational_myes
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: New Development in Park Holme!

#115 Post by sensational_myes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Hope you can keep us informed pikey.....good stuff there
any news Pikey? :wink: I can't wait to hear the news about the park holme developments!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#116 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:46 pm

Yes, ive been wanting to know the same as myess..... Hope you can keep us informed...

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by Pikey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Only just saw this again!

My DA was a pergola - nothing fancy! However the council planner has said that the amount of knock downs and subdivides are on the increase.

Apartment wise, not sure. The big rumour that the planner heard was around the Tonsley Mitsubishi site. Doubt it'll happen now, but when it looked as though Mitsubishi was going to leave, the site masterplan had "premium" apartment buildings, up to 10 lvls on the high side of the block (near south road) as the towers would have views of the city and Glenelg, with the rest of the site developed into a premium housing estate, along the lines of Blackwood Park.

A council member was on 5AA last night suggesting the same site as a potential location for an all purpose stadium!! I think not!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#118 Post by thechap » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Pikey wrote:A council member was on 5AA last night suggesting the same site as a potential location for an all purpose stadium!! I think not!
Yeah cause that would achieve heaps. Same bloody distance away from the city but in a different direction! Southsiders (which i'm not) would love it though :lol:
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

The_Q915
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Sheridan Site Development Woodville

#119 Post by The_Q915 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Most of the site has been cleared
Im dead serious

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Sheridan Site Development Woodville

#120 Post by AG » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:53 pm

That is one large site there to be developed!