News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1321 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 am

Ben wrote:I dare say these will be on AdelaideNow by Tim Williams soon ;)
Plans for Adelaide’s first Tiffany & Co store on North Tce

by: Tim Williams The City •

April 14, 2014

Tiffany North Tce store concept image. Source: Supplied

An “engagement salon” and private sales room will feature inside Adelaide’s first Tiffany & Co store, which will front North Tce as a tall, white box protruding onto the footpath from the back of the David Jones building.

Concept images are revealed in the jeweller’s development application, which Adelaide City Council’s development assessment panel approved on Monday night.

Tiffany’s Adelaide store will become only its eighth in Australia, having already established a presence in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth

TELL US BELOW: Are you counting down the days until the iconic store opens in Adelaide?

The facade of the $1.34 million store will have a 2m tall marble base below fluted panelling and a 6m wide company sign in white lettering.

“Tiffany & Co stores in both CBD and suburban locations elsewhere around the world have proven to draw thousands of customers daily,” the application states.

“(The store) will present a carefully designed and stylish facade to the public realm consistent with that of stores across Australia and the globe.”

Made famous in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s starring Audrey Hepburn and worn by models, musicians and movie stars including Gwyneth Paltrow, Tiffany has become a global jewellery phenomenon.

Occupying the former Air Bistro & Bar site in the Adelaide Central Plaza complex, the store will have a 21m wide frontage with a facade more than 11m tall. It is expected to open in October.

Adelaide City Council has already given permission for the building to be extended and encroach half a metre onto the North Tce footpath.

Tiffany previously refused to release the concept images when the application was first lodged in February.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1322 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:20 am

From the ACP website.

Shame there is no renders
ADELAIDE CENTRAL PLAZA REFURBISHMENT UPDATE
BUILDING OWNERS, THE PRECISION GROUP, TOGETHER WITH DAVID JONES, HAVE COMMITTED TO INVEST OVER $35M TO UPGRADE ADELAIDE CENTRAL PLAZA.

The upgrade projects will be completed by Christmas 2014.

Scope of works include:

- David Jones total store refurbishment, which will deliver an expansion of their Fashion and Beauty categories
- International luxury brand, Tiffany & Co, opening their flagship store in ACP, making this their 7th store in Australia
- Upgrade of external facades and canopies to Rundle Mall and North Terrace
- An extensive and stylish Lower Ground Floor Food Court refurbishment

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1323 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:28 am

Whatever happens, good to see that the arrival of Rundle Place has forced both the Myer Centre and Adelaide Central Plaza to lift their game. Nothing like a bit of competition to kill complacency. Rundle Mall Plaza on the other hand... (Wonderful building externally, aside from the new windows they added, but they completely ruined the interior post-DJs move).

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1324 Post by pushbutton » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Allkai wrote:
SRW wrote:That's a bit unfortunate-looking.
My first thought was that they must have started fit-out, and that was a photo of the temporary construction hoarding!

:shock:
Yes it does look that way!

[Shuz]

#1325 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Don't know how long ago it happened, but noticed that Hype, on the corner of James Place and Rundle Mall closed down and that Typo (Drop In) has gone in its place. The old Typo, next door to Commonwealth Bank, is being converted into something else. The old Commonwealth Bank on corner of Pulteney Street and Rundle Mall appears to be converting into a resturant / cafe, by the looks of it - called BYNK or something like that?

I miss Briccone's so much. I'm hoping they'll re-establish shop somewhere else nearby the Mall. They had the best coffee and the best white wine I've ever had, a Rockford or Rockmount (something like that) Frontignac Blanc. it was simply divine! I cannot find it sold anywhere else, not even online.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#1326 Post by Mants » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm

[Shuz] wrote:The old Commonwealth Bank on corner of Pulteney Street and Rundle Mall appears to be converting into a resturant / cafe, by the looks of it - called BYNK or something like that?
It will be an outlet for online fashion retailer FSHN BNKR I believe. Good to see that corner being used for something more appealing than a bank. I remember back in the early 2000s when Sanity occupied that space and definitely created a lot more interest than several ATMs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1327 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

[Shuz] wrote:...the best white wine I've ever had, a Rockford or Rockmount (something like that) Frontignac Blanc. it was simply divine! I cannot find it sold anywhere else, not even online...
Tasty! Wander down to Eastend Cellar's new place on Vardon Avenue (across from their old place) they have it in stock maybe...
http://www.eastendcellars.com.au/rockfo ... -2012.html
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#1328 Post by slenderman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Nathan wrote:Whatever happens, good to see that the arrival of Rundle Place has forced both the Myer Centre and Adelaide Central Plaza to lift their game. Nothing like a bit of competition to kill complacency. Rundle Mall Plaza on the other hand... (Wonderful building externally, aside from the new windows they added, but they completely ruined the interior post-DJs move).
Agree with everything else you've written but you've got to be kidding regarding the Rundle Mall Plaza? What on earth is appealing about Rundle Mall Plaza's facade? That building is shockingly hideous on both the inside and out. It's horrible and boxy and replaced that nice old Birks building. It's a contender for ugliest building in the mall with the Myer Centre, the Toys-R-Us/Kmart building and that thing on the NW corner of the Pulteney Street intersection.

Nathan

#1329 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:53 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Don't know how long ago it happened, but noticed that Hype, on the corner of James Place and Rundle Mall closed down and that Typo (Drop In) has gone in its place. The old Typo, next door to Commonwealth Bank, is being converted into something else. The old Commonwealth Bank on corner of Pulteney Street and Rundle Mall appears to be converting into a resturant / cafe, by the looks of it - called BYNK or something like that?

I miss Briccone's so much. I'm hoping they'll re-establish shop somewhere else nearby the Mall. They had the best coffee and the best white wine I've ever had, a Rockford or Rockmount (something like that) Frontignac Blanc. it was simply divine! I cannot find it sold anywhere else, not even online.
Hype didn't close down, just moved slightly further up the mall. Not sure how long the new Typo location is for. the "(drop in)" moniker denotes it as a pop-up of sorts, and I read somewhere that the permanent home for the ACC visitors centre will be on or adjacent to that James Pl corner. Perhaps they'll become the new Book Boys and constantly float around the mall changing to a new location every 6 months.

Nathan

#1330 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:01 pm

slenderman wrote:Agree with everything else you've written but you've got to be kidding regarding the Rundle Mall Plaza? What on earth is appealing about Rundle Mall Plaza's facade? That building is shockingly hideous on both the inside and out. It's horrible and boxy and replaced that nice old Birks building. It's a contender for ugliest building in the mall with the Myer Centre, the Toys-R-Us/Kmart building and that thing on the NW corner of the Pulteney Street intersection.
Not kidding at all. It was a great modernist building, especially with it's high quality build materials (the entire facade is/was marble). Unfortunately they did butcher it in the 00s when DJs left by destroying the wonderful ground floor interiors, punching windows in the face on floors 4-6 (the floors converted to office space), and adding some horrible signage (the late 90s/early 00s centre signs, but worse the large cheap signs in the windows immediately above awnings the for Spotlight, JBHifi etc.)

[Shuz]

#1331 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 pm

monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:...the best white wine I've ever had, a Rockford or Rockmount (something like that) Frontignac Blanc. it was simply divine! I cannot find it sold anywhere else, not even online...
Tasty! Wander down to Eastend Cellar's new place on Vardon Avenue (across from their old place) they have it in stock maybe...
Oh my god, thank you ever so much Mono! I have been looking for aaaaaaages. However can I return the favour? A bottle for your pleasure, perhaps?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1332 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:33 am

[Shuz] wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Oh my god, thank you ever so much Mono! I have been looking for aaaaaaages. However can I return the favour? A bottle for your pleasure, perhaps?
;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1333 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:03 am

Wonder if he got the idea for this article from our recent conversations regarding vacancy rates in regent arcade... coincidence i think not.
As vacancy rates soar, there’s new hope cinemas and restaurants can bring life back to Regent Arcade

by: Tim Williams

The City

April 15, 2014 2

NEW cinemas and restaurants are the great hopes for reviving the fortunes of Regent Arcade, where a string of closures has sent the vacancy rate soaring.

News of Globalize’s closure last week came after Billy Baxter’s cafe, jeweller Blue Chilli and clothing store Miss Jasmine all shut their doors over the past month.

The City reports today it counted nine vacancies — about a quarter of all tenancies — as well as four shops occupied by pop-ups or exhibitions, in stark contrast to fully tenanted Adelaide Arcade next door.

TELL US BELOW: What would attract you to visit the arcade?

The few remaining longstanding traders say the Rundle Mall upgrade works are compounding their problems but are confident the completed mall revamp and the planned cinemas will turn things around.

Arcade owner Ginos Group’s property manager George Ginos said he had applied for a grant from Adelaide City Council’s $5 million Rundle Mall “innovation fund” towards overhauling the dormant Regent Cinemas into four boutique-sized, “gold class” theatres for mainstream films.

“We have been put into the second round of applications which is a positive (but) the time frame keeps being pushed out by the council,” Mr Ginos said.

He would not say how much he was seeking but said the council money would help fast track the cinema plan that was first revealed in 2012.

The cinemas could open within a year if the funding comes through.

Hair Forum owner Peter Ferraro stands in front of his Regent Arcade business. Picture: Stephen Laffer. Source: News Corp Australia

Mr Ginos said he was also aiming for two drawcard restaurants to fill the former Bendigo Bank branch at the Grenfell St end and the Billy Baxter’s site.

“It’s not all doom and gloom. The cinema project will be the positive announcement to assist in attracting quality tenants.”

Hair Forum owner Peter Ferraro, a 26-year veteran of the arcade, said the closures made it tougher for remaining businesses to survive and were “like an infection — everyone catches it”.

“This arcade was busier than Adelaide Arcade once because it had the picture theatre and Rowe & Jarman,” he said.

“We used to get a tremendous passing trade. Now we exist on regulars more than ever.

“The turnaround will be the new picture theatre and the Rundle Mall (upgrade) will bring people down.”

Mr Ferraro said the Grenfell St pedestrian crossing should be widened or moved to funnel pedestrians into Regent Arcade as well as Adelaide Arcade.

The Teddy Bear Shop owner Carolyn Roberts said trade was as tough as she could remember in her 23 years in the arcade, but she was hopeful the landlord’s plans would change its fortunes.

Mrs Roberts said Regent Arcade once had a waiting list for tenants and “used to have all sorts of things that were one-offs and unique”.

“We keep thinking retail has hit the bottom and is going to go up but we’ve been saying that for 12 months now.”

The council has kept all discussions of its “innovation fund” in confidence.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1334 Post by pushbutton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 am

So it sounds like they might be actually seriously considering new cinemas then? Hard to believe because as I said they've only quite recently spend a lot of money demolishing cinemas there!

The article also doesn't seem to mention the closure of the old Harris Scarfe. Isn't it obvious that much of the traffic through Regent arcade was people going to or from Harris Scarfe?

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1335 Post by Phantom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:35 am

Ben wrote:Wonder if he got the idea for this article from our recent conversations regarding vacancy rates in regent arcade... coincidence i think not.
I've thought this, too. Would it be wrong if we intentionally wrote about a new development on say, Hindley St, where all the facts are completely fictious, just to see if it gets published elsewhere as a fact? :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"