News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#381 Post by Vee » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:51 am

Historic photo collection made accessible to the public.
Take a bow, GIS Officer, Georgie Cassar.

Story map of Port Adelaide Enfield's colourful past an Australian-first
An Australian-first online story map containing more than 2,000 photos through history has been unveiled by the the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council.

The images capture more than a century of the city's history, from the very first Port Adelaide Magpies premiership team, to an unknown daredevil biker's fiery stunts during centenary celebrations in 1956.

The council's geographic information services officer, Georgie Cassar, said the story map was developed to liberate the pictures from the local library's extensive photographic history collection.

"The story map features some of the earliest known photos of the port, trade and business pioneers as well as aerial imagery that captures in fascinating detail the breadth of the city's urban sprawl and recent infrastructure renewal," Ms Cassar said.

Photos on the story map are sorted into collections – such as buildings, people and places – and embedded in the map according to the location in which they were taken.
Users can choose an image by clicking on its location on the map or by browsing through the collections.
ABC News:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-20/p ... ap/5683566

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#382 Post by PeFe » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:36 pm

From News.com.au
Future of Hans Ehmann’s $16 million Quest apartments along Port River in doubt after plans thrown out for second time

Fisherman's Wharf Markets, Port Adelaide, where the proposed apartment complex would be built Picture: Walls Chris Source: News Limited

THE future of a $16 million serviced apartment complex at Fisherman’s Wharf is under a cloud after detailed plans were rejected for a second time.

The state’s Development Assessment Commission refused to grant developer Hans Ehmann building consent at its August 14 meeting.

It said the complex did not keep with the historical theme of the waterfront and the building’s five-storey height would obstruct views of the State Heritage-listed Birkenhead Bridge.

Mr Ehmann did not return calls this week.

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson said the project would give the Port a boost but its design needed to complement the area’s heritage.

Victorian company Quest, which manages apartments in every capital city, has agreed to be the tenant of the new building and would service the planned 61 apartments.

Quest general manager Andrew Weisz said the company still wanted to invest in Port Adelaide.

“It’s a question for the developer themselves about this particular project, but it is a great site and we would be keen to get involved,” Mr Weisz said.

“We have always said that we want to be in Port Adelaide (and) it is just a matter of when.”

The project was announced in September and traders labelled it a kick-starter for Port Adelaide’s rejuvenation.

The original designs were knocked back last year and amended in July. Changes included more carparking, alterations to the facade and a bigger setback from the water.

Port Adelaide Enfield Council’s heritage adviser Flightpath Architects said in a report for the commission the new plans were “inferior to the previous design” and should not be approved.

St Vincent St trader Mike Retter said the project would have provided a boost to the area.

“The central population of Port Adelaide is too small so it is hard to develop a mainstreet-style shopping experience and getting foot traffic is essential to the rejuvenation,” Mr Retter said, who operatesruns video shop Film Buff Central.

“But I see both sides. I get just as obsessed with preserving the history but we can’t let that obsession get in the way of writing a future for the area.”

St Vincent St cafe owner Steph Taylor, who also runs the Wild at Hart markets, said serviced apartments were not the answer and the wharf should be preserved for events.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7038764467
Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity to me, serviced apartments would be a good start to repopulate the area.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#383 Post by eKwatee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 pm

PeFe wrote:From News.com.au
Future of Hans Ehmann’s $16 million Quest apartments along Port River in doubt after plans thrown out for second time

Fisherman's Wharf Markets, Port Adelaide, where the proposed apartment complex would be built Picture: Walls Chris Source: News Limited

THE future of a $16 million serviced apartment complex at Fisherman’s Wharf is under a cloud after detailed plans were rejected for a second time.

The state’s Development Assessment Commission refused to grant developer Hans Ehmann building consent at its August 14 meeting.

It said the complex did not keep with the historical theme of the waterfront and the building’s five-storey height would obstruct views of the State Heritage-listed Birkenhead Bridge.

Mr Ehmann did not return calls this week.

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson said the project would give the Port a boost but its design needed to complement the area’s heritage.

Victorian company Quest, which manages apartments in every capital city, has agreed to be the tenant of the new building and would service the planned 61 apartments.

Quest general manager Andrew Weisz said the company still wanted to invest in Port Adelaide.

“It’s a question for the developer themselves about this particular project, but it is a great site and we would be keen to get involved,” Mr Weisz said.

“We have always said that we want to be in Port Adelaide (and) it is just a matter of when.”

The project was announced in September and traders labelled it a kick-starter for Port Adelaide’s rejuvenation.

The original designs were knocked back last year and amended in July. Changes included more carparking, alterations to the facade and a bigger setback from the water.

Port Adelaide Enfield Council’s heritage adviser Flightpath Architects said in a report for the commission the new plans were “inferior to the previous design” and should not be approved.

St Vincent St trader Mike Retter said the project would have provided a boost to the area.

“The central population of Port Adelaide is too small so it is hard to develop a mainstreet-style shopping experience and getting foot traffic is essential to the rejuvenation,” Mr Retter said, who operatesruns video shop Film Buff Central.

“But I see both sides. I get just as obsessed with preserving the history but we can’t let that obsession get in the way of writing a future for the area.”

St Vincent St cafe owner Steph Taylor, who also runs the Wild at Hart markets, said serviced apartments were not the answer and the wharf should be preserved for events.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7038764467
Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity to me, serviced apartments would be a good start to repopulate the area.
Adelaide is on the verge of an economic collapse and they knock back development to conserve a view of a crappy bridge. Unfortunately Adelaide whole heatedly deserves where were headed....

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#384 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:26 pm

eKwatee wrote:Adelaide is on the verge of an economic collapse and they knock back development to conserve a view of a crappy bridge. Unfortunately Adelaide whole heatedly deserves where were headed....
If you want to see a city heading towards collapse look overseas, Adelaide is far from collapsing. The State Government in recent times has been very progressive in supporting developments in the Adelaide CBD, which is why I'm quite surprised they have knocked back a five-storey building because it would obstrute the views of a bridge.

Considering how much Port Adelaide desperately desperately needing some loving and how much Port Adelaide is very unattractive area, the State Government should be supporting developments like this at all cost. Rejecting buildings at five levels is just going to signal investors that Port Adelaide is still closed for business.

Also 'not keeping with the historical theme of the waterfront', what exactly is historic along the waterfront?. Yes there is Harts Mill and a couple of other historic items, but the whole area is just one big wasted eyesore. I'd say Port Adelaide is one of the ugliest suburbs in the metro area, yet it's the suburb with the most potential.

Nathan

#385 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 pm

To be fair, we don't know many details about the proposal or what it looked like. I'm sure no one would be happy repeating what was built at Newport Quays. Buy historical theme, I'm guessing they want something in that maritime/industrial vernacular - something that looks like it belongs on the docks, rather than a generic serviced apartment that could be anywhere.

[Shuz]

#386 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am

How the hell is the Birkenhead Bridge state heritage listed? It has got to be the ugliest bridge in all of Australia, and is practically falling apart.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bva
High Rise Poster!

#387 Post by bva » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 pm

crawf wrote:
eKwatee wrote:Adelaide is on the verge of an economic collapse and they knock back development to conserve a view of a crappy bridge. Unfortunately Adelaide whole heatedly deserves where were headed....
If you want to see a city heading towards collapse look overseas, Adelaide is far from collapsing. The State Government in recent times has been very progressive in supporting developments in the Adelaide CBD, which is why I'm quite surprised they have knocked back a five-storey building because it would obstrute the views of a bridge.

Considering how much Port Adelaide desperately desperately needing some loving and how much Port Adelaide is very unattractive area, the State Government should be supporting developments like this at all cost. Rejecting buildings at five levels is just going to signal investors that Port Adelaide is still closed for business.

Also 'not keeping with the historical theme of the waterfront', what exactly is historic along the waterfront?. Yes there is Harts Mill and a couple of other historic items, but the whole area is just one big wasted eyesore. I'd say Port Adelaide is one of the ugliest suburbs in the metro area, yet it's the suburb with the most potential.

Some seriously kneejerk reaction comments here. It is very rare for DAC to block any scheme at present (particularly with the new case management team being formed). This must be a very average design and I support any push to ensure a beter quality outcome for the port and protection of key vistas that will be important once the area is more developed.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#388 Post by eKwatee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:20 pm

bva wrote:
crawf wrote:

Some seriously kneejerk reaction comments here. It is very rare for DAC to block any scheme at present (particularly with the new case management team being formed). This must be a very average design and I support any push to ensure a beter quality outcome for the port and protection of key vistas that will be important once the area is more developed.
Anything would be better than what is already there. The wharf area is a hole. The Council allow the derelict old rotten boat 'The Clipper' to be displayed just around the corner, so obviously they don't really care what the place looks like.

It just annoys the hell out of me, you have an organisation that is willing to spend millions of dollars down at the Port, where no one else wants to go near the place, and they knock it back. It's a joke.

Quest must be scratching their heads. If I was the one making the decision on the approval, I would be approving it straight away. Quest might come to their senses and withdraw from the project altogether.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#389 Post by Will » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I had a look at the plans on the DAC website, and it was a VERY bland design. It looked like a pre-fabricated grey box.

Nathan

#390 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Will wrote:I had a look at the plans on the DAC website, and it was a VERY bland design. It looked like a pre-fabricated grey box.
You're right. Uninspiring would be an understatement. http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... 952_13.pdf

[Shuz]

#391 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Back to the drawing board, please. What a horrible design.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

metro
Legendary Member!

#392 Post by metro » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Looks like some awful 1970s affordable housing flats for Elizabeth West :roll:

PeFe

#393 Post by PeFe » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 pm

From News.com.au
Publican Tony Bond reopens Port Adelaide’s Railway Hotel after former owners called last drinks in March

The hotel’s new owner Tony Bond with employee Janette Blucher ... plans to bring the historic Railway Hotel back to life. Picture: Tom Huntley Source: News Limited

BEER will flow again at Port Adelaide’s historic Railway Hotel following a city publican’s decision to buy the 158-year-old building.

Tony Bond, the owner of The New Edinburgh Castle Hotel in Currie St, bought the St Vincent St pub this month.

He will settle on the sale, which also includes five gaming machine licenses, this week and reopen the pub in October.

Allan Brenton shared a beer with grandson Clayton Revie as last drinks were called in March. Picture: Tricia Watkinson.

Former owners Fred Hiscock and his partner Sue O’Reilly called last drinks in March because they had struggled to find a buyer for more than four years.

The pub’s reopening comes despite a declining hospitality industry in the area which has resulted in the closure of five historic pubs — The Colac Hotel, Golden Port Tavern, Port Admiral Hotel, Buff’s Black Diamond Hotel and?Clubhouse Hotel — in the past five years.

Mr Bond said he was investing in Port Adelaide as he believed it was on the verge of “bouncing back”.

“We want to be part of the community and I think the Port is a beautiful area and you can’t find these type of buildings anywhere else,” Mr Bond said.

“The real estate prices are relatively cheap so that is also a good lure for people.

“The inside is beautifully preserved and a lot of friends have told me I’m mad for buying it, but it’s a great area with potential and I think the effort will be worth it.”

Mr Bond said the hotel would focus on “good, cheap food” and local products including SA beers such as Coopers.

He will hire former Railway Hotel bar manager Janette Blucher, who has been unable to gain full-time employment since the pub closed.

Ms Blucher, 51, was grateful for the chance to return to her old job.

“I’ve got 20 years experience at that building and it is harder for people my age to get jobs so it will be good,” the Rosewater resident said.

“I hope the pub gets back to what I remember when I first started there in about 1994 when the line was pretty deep to get a beer.

“And I think Tony will bring something a little different to the area and hopefully it takes off and we see some activity.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7067762056
One small sign of hope of revival in the area...Now is someone could just do the same to the Port Admiral Hotel on the corner.....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#394 Post by Will » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:22 am

From the Messenger:
Hans Ehmann’s Quest apartments plan for Port Adelaide Fisherman’s Market site a step closer following design approval

Kurtis Eichler
Portside Messenger
January 09, 2015 1:03PM

Artist impressions of the proposed five-storey serviced apartments at Port Adelaide's Fishermen's Markets.

A $16 MILLION plan to build serviced apartments at Fishermen’s Wharf is gaining momentum.

The Environment, Resources and Development Court granted developer Hans Ehmann planning approval on Christmas Eve.

Plans for the five-storey building were lodged with the state’s Development Assessment Commission in May 2013.

DAC members rejected the plans several times because the proposal was deemed to be out of keeping with the historic area.

Members also argued the 60-apartment building blocked views of the Birkenhead Bridge.

Mr Ehmann sought planning approval from the ERD Court after another delay late last year.

The plans now need development approval from the DAC.

Mr Ehmann told the Portside Messenger he expected development approval to be granted within six months.

“This is by far the largest privately-funded development to happen in the Port in the last 45 years,” Mr Ehmann said.

Victorian company Quest will be the building’s tenant and will service the apartments.

Quest manages apartment blocks in every Australian capital city and six in South Australia.

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson and other civic leaders say the plans will give the Port a boost.

PeFe

#395 Post by PeFe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:25 am

DAC members rejected the plans several times because the proposal was deemed to be out of keeping with the historic area.
Members also argued the 60-apartment building blocked views of the Birkenhead Bridge.
At least the new renders look half way decent...
and as for "blocking the view of the Birkenhead Bridge"...well shouldn't that be a positive !
2 baby steps forward in the development of Port Adelaide.