[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Southern Expressway to be doubled

#46 Post by muzzamo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Ben wrote:I'm angry at this for two reasons.

- The current Labor government is eithier constructing or promising to construct these expressways on the northern and southern ends of the city with nothing in the metropolitan area where majority of people live and commute. They're bringing everyone in faster but once there are here they can not move as we have a 2 lane major corridor, that is full of traffic lights and bottle necks. When will they realise they need to work in to out not vice versa as this clogging up our roads!!
Apart from the South Road superway, the tram overpass, the Anzac highway underpass of course? As well as this 1KM stretch between the end of the expressway to beyond Sturt road that is going to be fixed up too?
So in terms of urban stretches of south road, you have
- South road, bedford park: Approx 1.5KM
- Tram overpass and anzac highway: Approx 1.2KM
- South Road superway: Approx 5.4KM
Total: 8.1KM

All fixed or going to be fixed. This compares to a total length of about 22KM for south road from the port river expressway to Marion Road. Not Bad!

Ben wrote: - Secondly another short sighted decision. reducing the number of lanes from 3 down to 2. This is not going to ease congestion but actually induce it by reducing the number of lanes.
You are assuming that the render, which was probably produced by the department in the last few days in a rush in order to meet the announcment, is actually the final design.
Ben wrote: What we NEED is actually quite simple. We need a non stop North - South corridor of 3 lanes or more, with no traffic lights, frieght/train/tram crossings.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:04 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Ben wrote:I'm angry at this for two reasons.

- The current Labor government is eithier constructing or promising to construct these expressways on the northern and southern ends of the city with nothing in the metropolitan area where majority of people live and commute. They're bringing everyone in faster but once there are here they can not move as we have a 2 lane major corridor, that is full of traffic lights and bottle necks. When will they realise they need to work in to out not vice versa as this clogging up our roads!!
Apart from the South Road superway, the tram overpass, the Anzac highway underpass of course? As well as this 1KM stretch between the end of the expressway to beyond Sturt road that is going to be fixed up too?
So in terms of urban stretches of south road, you have
- South road, bedford park: Approx 1.5KM
- Tram overpass and anzac highway: Approx 1.2KM
- South Road superway: Approx 5.4KM
Total: 8.1KM

All fixed or going to be fixed. This compares to a total length of about 22KM for south road from the port river expressway to Marion Road. Not Bad!

Ben wrote:
You totally have no idea what i just said. they have neglected South Road From Bedford Park to Regency Road except for one underpass (Anzac Highway) which moved a bottlenck about 500m south and north to the next set of lights. You try driving on this section of road anytime and see how frustrating it is, then try again in peak hour and you will soon realise how poor this decision is.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Will » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Ben, I understand where you are coming from, but surely you understand the state does not have the money to build the entire north-south freeway in one go.

The improvements proposed by the government at the northern and southern extremes of South Road, will surely speed up the pace at which traffic leaves South Road, which in effect should speed things up in the more central areas of South Road.

I am sure, the state has a plan to eventually build a north-south freeway, however untill we have more money, unfortunately this is the pace at which these improvements will occur. Which is not bad, considering that 10 years ago, the biggest road project in SA was the road linking South Road to Sir Donal Bradman Drive (where the homemaker centre is).

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Will wrote:Ben, I understand where you are coming from, but surely you understand the state does not have the money to build the entire north-south freeway in one go.

The improvements proposed by the government at the northern and southern extremes of South Road, will surely speed up the pace at which traffic leaves South Road, which in effect should speed things up in the more central areas of South Road.

I am sure, the state has a plan to eventually build a north-south freeway, however untill we have more money, unfortunately this is the pace at which these improvements will occur. Which is not bad, considering that 10 years ago, the biggest road project in SA was the road linking South Road to Sir Donal Bradman Drive (where the homemaker centre is).
My arguement is the metrolpolitan projects should be completed first as they are the highest used as the CBD is generally the destination for commuters. They need to start in the centre and move out not vice cersa. All of this traffic is being brought in at a greater pace an quantity then previously which is great but once it gets to the metro are it's stuck as they have to contend with traffic light after traffic light.

I have no education in infrastructure and don't claim to know all or even any of the answers but from my point of view this whole north/south project has been done the wrong way around.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Will » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Ben wrote:
Will wrote:Ben, I understand where you are coming from, but surely you understand the state does not have the money to build the entire north-south freeway in one go.

My arguement is the metrolpolitan projects should be completed first as they are the highest used as the CBD is generally the destination for commuters. They need to start in the centre and move out not vice cersa. All of this traffic is being brought in at a greater pace an quantity then previously which is great but once it gets to the metro are it's stuck as they have to contend with traffic light after traffic light.

I have no education in infrastructure and don't claim to know all or even any of the answers but from my point of view this whole north/south project has been done the wrong way around.
I think a possible reason for it being done from the extremes inwards, is politics. Remember the hysteria unleashed by the Anzac Hwy underpass? I doubt the governemnt would like that repeated 22 times during a single term.

As there is little land acquisition at the extreme ends, the governmet deals with less public backlash whilst also showing the wider community that they are doing stuff.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by muzzamo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Will wrote:As there is little land acquisition at the extreme ends, the governmet deals with less public backlash whilst also showing the wider community that they are doing stuff.
The cynic in me thinks that the govt may wait till after the election and seriously consider tolls for the more expensive inner urban bits.

You can't just build a 2 billion dollar road, and have idiots driving along it in peak hour who could easily be on the train or bus. For the most expensive sections of road, you need to send the price signal that the people using it are the people who actually need to use it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Will wrote:
Ben wrote:

I think a possible reason for it being done from the extremes inwards, is politics. Remember the hysteria unleashed by the Anzac Hwy underpass? I doubt the governemnt would like that repeated 22 times during a single term.

As there is little land acquisition at the extreme ends, the governmet deals with less public backlash whilst also showing the wider community that they are doing stuff.
This does sound likey. How unfortunate.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by bay transit » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Treasurer Kevin Foley announced on radio 5aa this afternoon that the Labour party would not introduce Toll roads in S.A.(despite what other labour states have done)

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#54 Post by Aidan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

bay transit wrote:Treasurer Kevin Foley announced on radio 5aa this afternoon that the Labour party would not introduce Toll roads in S.A.(despite what other labour states have done)
That's a very disappointing announcement! The Northern Connector could be built much sooner as a toll road without having to delay other infrastructure projects.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by muzzamo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Aidan wrote:That's a very disappointing announcement! The Northern Connector could be built much sooner as a toll road without having to delay other infrastructure projects.
bay transit wrote:Treasurer Kevin Foley announced on radio 5aa this afternoon that the Labour party would not introduce Toll roads in S.A.(despite what other labour states have done)
That's a very disappointing announcement! The Northern Connector could be built much sooner as a toll road without having to delay other infrastructure projects.
Yep - which means our expensive new roads will soon be clogged up with people driving from Elizabeth or Noarlunga because they were not given the price signal to do otherwise

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by iTouch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Firstly:
Quote from Adelaidenow:
B of Not South Posted at 12:09 PM Today
Doesn't "duplication of Adelaide's one-way Southern Expressway" mean that there will be two one-way expressways going the same way
I laughed at that

Secondly, although i love this idea and i think its about time this happened, will it happen? I'm no Liberal Rann Basher but I do think many people have lost trust in him. Didn't he make an infrastructural promise last election about making a 600m tunnel under Port Road?
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

zap brannigan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#57 Post by zap brannigan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:09 pm

muzzamo wrote:While I agree that it is obviously a pre-election commitment I can see where this fits in with their plan: A non-stop freeway from seaford to gawler.
Rann/Foley have done or are doing more for this vision that any other government in the past 50 years and I'm all for it.
well if dunstan had not totally opposed the MATS plan in the 60's and played politics with out strategic infrastructure planning all would be well in adelaide.

zap brannigan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#58 Post by zap brannigan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Ben wrote:What we NEED is actually quite simple. We need a non stop North - South corridor of 3 lanes or more, with no traffic lights, frieght/train/tram crossings.
this can never happen since the anzac underpass is 2 lanes, as is the cross road overpass... south road will always be 2 lanes unless they decide to spend a shit load of money and redo all the over/under passes, tram overpasss and future tunnels and also buy all the land along south road.

zap brannigan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by zap brannigan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 pm

they should build overpasses along south road instead of tunnels/underpasses... it would be much cheaper and we get more bang for our bucks.

an overpass from cross road to daws road would speed things up as would an overpass from anzac hwy to grange road.

zap brannigan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#60 Post by zap brannigan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:28 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:Secondly, although i love this idea and i think its about time this happened, will it happen? I'm no Liberal Rann Basher but I do think many people have lost trust in him. Didn't he make an infrastructural promise last election about making a 600m tunnel under Port Road?
why an expensive tunnel under port road when a cheap and easy overpass would do the trick?