News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

#2026 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:21 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:10 pm
They lost me at "trackless trams". It's a bus.

Living here for just under a year it is clear that public transport is very infrequent and very limited in where it goes. I have been more reliant on my car than ever before.

The basics they need to do include:
- Increasing weekend train frequency to every 15 or 20 minutes
- Add additional train services into the peak shoulder periods of 9am to 11am and 3pm to 5pm
- Introduce on-demand bus services to cover gaps in cross-suburban routes
- Align more bus services to service mid-sized shopping centres such as Hollywood Plaza
- Turn Parafield Station into an interchange with connecting buses along Kings Road and McIntyre Road towards Golden Grove and/or Tea Tree Plaza
- Introduce a frequent connector bus between Mawson Lakes and Port Adelaide along the Port River Expressway.

Other things they should be doing include:
- Completing the Gawler Greenway along the railway line. There are several missing parts, including Islington to Mawson Lakes and Parafield to Salisbury
- Duplicating Ender Smith Drive and connecting it to Port Wakefield Road

These things aren't hard or expensive. They just need some planning and budgeting from the State Government.

Further down the track they can include more expensive things like:
- Connecting Salisbury Highway to Montague Road
- Connecting rail to Riverlea/Virginia
- Build a third track between Ovingham or Dudley Park and Grand Junction Road to allow express trains to pass.
- Extend the platforms and run 6-car trains in peak hours.
I agree with much of your list.
* Gawler Greenway is also missing north of Munno Para.
* I disagree about 6-car trains:
** They would increase the "dead" walking distance at Adelaide station, and probably most other stations
** 3 cars every 7.5 minutes is a more attractive service that 6 cars every 15 minutes
**Maybe more signalling is required to increase peak hour frequency, but that's still better than longer trains. It's OK to miss one if you can see the next train approaching.
*More grade-separated road/pedestrian crossings over the railway

rubberman

#2027 Post by rubberman » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:30 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:21 am
Norman wrote:

Living here for just under a year it is clear that public transport is very infrequent and very limited in where it goes. I have been more reliant on my car than ever before.

The basics they need to do include:
- Increasing weekend train frequency to every 15 or 20 minutes
- Add additional train services into the peak shoulder periods of 9am to 11am and 3pm to 5pm
- Introduce on-demand bus services to cover gaps in cross-suburban routes
- Align more bus services to service mid-sized shopping centres such as Hollywood Plaza
- Turn Parafield Station into an interchange with connecting buses along Kings Road and McIntyre Road towards Golden Grove and/or Tea Tree Plaza
- Introduce a frequent connector bus between Mawson Lakes and Port Adelaide along the Port River Expressway.

Other things they should be doing include:
- Completing the Gawler Greenway along the railway line. There are several missing parts, including Islington to Mawson Lakes and Parafield to Salisbury
- Duplicating Ender Smith Drive and connecting it to Port Wakefield Road

These things aren't hard or expensive. They just need some planning and budgeting from the State Government.

Further down the track they can include more expensive things like:
- Connecting Salisbury Highway to Montague Road
- Connecting rail to Riverlea/Virginia
- Build a third track between Ovingham or Dudley Park and Grand Junction Road to allow express trains to pass.
- Extend the platforms and run 6-car trains in peak hours.
I agree with much of your list.
* Gawler Greenway is also missing north of Munno Para.
* I disagree about 6-car trains:
** They would increase the "dead" walking distance at Adelaide station, and probably most other stations
** 3 cars every 7.5 minutes is a more attractive service that 6 cars every 15 minutes
**Maybe more signalling is required to increase peak hour frequency, but that's still better than longer trains. It's OK to miss one if you can see the next train approaching.
*More grade-separated road/pedestrian crossings over the railway
Heavy rail excels at high speed, large station spacing, long trains, large passenger numbers at each stop.

Trams and buses typically have lower speeds, closer stations, shorter trains, small passenger numbers per stop.

At the moment, Adelaide heavy rail for the most part is trying to be a tram operation. At some point, unless it reforms to actually run like heavy rail should, it will be scrapped, and the only people who will notice will be railfans.

ChillyPhilly

#2028 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm

A summary from the GARP re: public transport.
A summary of responses to the Greater Adelaide Regional Plan Discussion Paper was released on 22 December. Many submissions referred to public and active transport, infrastructure, housing and greening. The specific discussion of Public and Active Transport is cursory (see below).

Individual submissions are available via the link in the Summary Document. Some provide detailed discussion of how public and active transport can be improved. See what your Council, politician, community group etc. said.

Public Transport
Hundreds of comments about public transport were received, with respondents responding both generally and specifically about the kinds of public transport services that should be available in Greater Adelaide. Key feedback themes included:

Suggestions that substantial investment in public transport infrastructure is required to reduce car dependency across Greater Adelaide region. Many modes of public transport were specifically mentioned, including extending existing tramways, and adding new lines, electrification and extension of train lines, and the expansion of bus rapid transit services.

Increased investment in public transport and cycling and walking infrastructure is considered by many to help enhance ‘living locally’ and reduce emissions, resulting in better environmental outcomes.
Access the summary here. https://plan.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... -Paper.pdf
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2029 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:11 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm
A summary from the GARP re: public transport.
A summary of responses to the Greater Adelaide Regional Plan Discussion Paper was released on 22 December. Many submissions referred to public and active transport, infrastructure, housing and greening. The specific discussion of Public and Active Transport is cursory (see below).

Individual submissions are available via the link in the Summary Document. Some provide detailed discussion of how public and active transport can be improved. See what your Council, politician, community group etc. said.

Public Transport
Hundreds of comments about public transport were received, with respondents responding both generally and specifically about the kinds of public transport services that should be available in Greater Adelaide. Key feedback themes included:

Suggestions that substantial investment in public transport infrastructure is required to reduce car dependency across Greater Adelaide region. Many modes of public transport were specifically mentioned, including extending existing tramways, and adding new lines, electrification and extension of train lines, and the expansion of bus rapid transit services.

Increased investment in public transport and cycling and walking infrastructure is considered by many to help enhance ‘living locally’ and reduce emissions, resulting in better environmental outcomes.
Access the summary here. https://plan.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... -Paper.pdf
Hopefully more than a few submissions about the need for a city rail underground were received.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2030 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:37 am

rubberman wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:30 am
Heavy rail excels at high speed, large station spacing, long trains, large passenger numbers at each stop.

Trams and buses typically have lower speeds, closer stations, shorter trains, small passenger numbers per stop.

At the moment, Adelaide heavy rail for the most part is trying to be a tram operation. At some point, unless it reforms to actually run like heavy rail should, it will be scrapped, and the only people who will notice will be railfans.
Adelaide's heavy rail system is not much different to other legacy systems across Australia. Station spacing and frequencies are very similar to those in Perth (except new lines built since the 1990s), Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

rubberman

#2031 Post by rubberman » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:22 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:37 am
rubberman wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:30 am

Adelaide's heavy rail system is not much different to other legacy systems across Australia. Station spacing and frequencies are very similar to those in Perth (except new lines built since the 1990s), Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
Ok. Since this is in the Policy forum, rather than specifically Rail, I will frame my answer in policy terms.

So, let's ask the policy question. In looking at the Outer Harbor and Hills lines, should they be heavy or light rail? What should the policy be on light vs heavy rail in transport corridors?

Now, with regards to the other capitals you mentioned, with similar spacing of stations, the clear answer is heavy rail, because they run 6 car minimum sets at high enough frequency. Light rail simply cannot match that passenger capacity. With the Hills and Outer Harbor lines, that is not the case. Light rail CAN do the task. Possibly, even a busway. That is the difference.

Now, frankly, the State Government should have a policy relating to at the very least looking at the relationship between the mode of transport, the ridership, and costs. At the moment, heavy rail is a huge cost sink with relatively fewer riders than other modes. Having a policy would at least force the State Government to look at things whenever large expenditure occurs, eg when the present diesels come to the end of their life.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2032 Post by Eurostar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:54 am

Even many minor railway stations on the Sydney network i.e. Asquith have at least a shop in the vicinity.

SBD

#2033 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:47 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:54 am
Even many minor railway stations on the Sydney network i.e. Asquith have at least a shop in the vicinity.
We still have one or two stations without even a housing estate nearby, but the government wants to "release for housing" vacant land miles from everything.

I'm not sure why we have policies to "protect" the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale wine regions, but not the massive vegetable gardens near Virginia and Two Wells and that used to be near Mount Barker and probably other places.

I've spent my entire life living on "former farm land", but if I didn't, someone else would have anyway.

ChillyPhilly

#2034 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:49 pm

SBD wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
We still have one or two stations without even a housing estate nearby, but the government wants to "release for housing" vacant land miles from everything.

I'm not sure why we have policies to "protect" the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale wine regions, but not the massive vegetable gardens near Virginia and Two Wells and that used to be near Mount Barker and probably other places.

I've spent my entire life living on "former farm land", but if I didn't, someone else would have anyway.
Agree with you completely, but the policies protecting the Barossa and McLaren Vale are a response to the controversy of Mt Barker's apple orchards being wiped out.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#2035 Post by SBD » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:16 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:49 pm
SBD wrote:
Eurostar wrote:

Agree with you completely, but the policies protecting the Barossa and McLaren Vale are a response to the controversy of Mt Barker's apple orchards being wiped out.
Maybe now that a lot of the Virginia produce is grown in greenhouses, it could be moved to less-fertile land, I don't know. There is still quite a bit of open-sky horticulture in the area as well though. I'd like to see more of the current productive land being protected instead of "released for housing".

Released seems to only mean rezoned or maybe "sold to a developer". I can see several hundred hectares of land that were released by the Rann Government to relieve the housing crisis. It still grows a crop every year. I haven't worked out what the contractual arrangements are - is Renewal SA a sharefarmer, or is there a public servant driving a harvester from the Motor Pool?

Nathan

#2036 Post by Nathan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm

Norman wrote:
Relevant video (stay for the brief O-Bahn cameo):

PeFe

#2037 Post by PeFe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:59 pm

Is this what a lot of you have been waiting for?
FAQ's are on the Adelaide Metro page

From Adelaide Metro
Introducing the new Buy & Go app
23 Feb 2024
Our new app puts buying tickets for Adelaide’s public transport in the palm of your hand!

Visiting Adelaide? Only use public transport now and then? Leave your metroCARD at home? The new Adelaide Metro Buy & Go app offers a new easy way to buy your tickets and get around Adelaide on a bus, train or tram.

Simply download the free Buy & Go app from your app store to buy Regular, Concession and Student Singletrip and Daytrip tickets plus 3-Day Visitor Passes – anytime, anywhere.

Buy & Go ticket prices are the same as metroCARD fares, and you can use them on any Adelaide Metro bus or tram, and to transfer to trains departing from the Adelaide Railway Station. The tickets you buy are stored for up to 12 months in the app’s wallet until you are ready to use them. You can use one ticket to travel alone, or up to five tickets to travel with others – perfect for families!

Using the new app is as easy as ‘Buy’ and ‘Go’.

Download the free app from the app store on your smart phone.

Create and verify your account, linking it to your email address. (Note: Buy & Go accounts are separate from metroCARD accounts).
Select your tickets from the Buy Tickets section. Buy & Go tickets are non-refundable, so choose carefully and check as you confirm. Remember, if you choose a Concession or Student ticket, you’ll need to carry proof that you’re eligible for those tickets in South Australia.
Buy your tickets with a Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card. You can link your cards to your account to make your next purchase quick and easy – and update your details any time.

To ‘Go’:

Select the ticket(s) you want to use for your trip. Your Purchased tickets are in the app’s My Tickets wallet under the Purchased/Active Tickets tab. (Note: you can only use off-peak tickets during off-peak times: between 9.01am and 3:00 pm Monday to Friday, and all day on Sundays and public holidays.)
Immediately before you board, activate your ticket(s) to make them valid for travel. This generates an Active ticket (which includes details about the ticket type and a QR code) and starts the countdown on your ticket’s journey time.
You can activate just one ticket for yourself, or up to five tickets at a time to create a ‘batched Active ticket’ with one QR code. Batched Active tickets include an easy-to-see summary of all the tickets in the batch – handy to show your bus driver or staff member.
Always validate your Active ticket on a smart validator as you board or transfer. First, separate your phone from any other credit cards or metroCARDs. Ensure your Active ticket’s QR code is visible on your phone’s screen. Hold your phone with the Active ticket facing upwards towards the ceiling, then place it flat against the payment panel on the smart validator. When it’s in the right position, the validator’s scanner light will come on and read the QR code.
A green tick and a ding sound from the validator means you’re good to go.
If you meet a ticket inspector, just show them your Active ticket on your phone, so they can check the QR code. If you’ve transferred near the end of your journey time, you’ll find your Used ticket in the app’s ‘My Tickets’ wallet under the ‘Used tickets’ tab.
The new Buy & Go app complements the range of payment options already available, including metroCARD, Tap and Pay and free travel for Senior Card members. So, choose the option that is best for you!

The new Buy & Go app complements the range of payment options already available, including metroCARD, Tap and Pay and free travel for Senior Card members. So, choose the option that is best for you!

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... and-go-app

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2038 Post by dsriggs » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:12 pm

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2039 Post by SRW » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:54 pm

I guess many easy ways to pay fares is a good thing, but a QR code you have to open in an app feels kinda clunky especially if the scanner isn't super quick and there's a queue behind you. The app also doesn't link with your existing Adelaide Metro account — you have to create one for the app specifically.

I'd still rather they just make a metroCard available in the Apple Wallet.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#2040 Post by cocoiadrop » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:40 am

First Glasgow have a similar system which I used a few times and it's fine, as long as you have the QR code ready upon boarding.