[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#6106 Post by Spotto » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:26 pm

greenknight wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:15 pm
From the sounds of it, they are moving interstate... is that reasonable relocation costs? Moving interstate is not a necessity for their business as it managed to operate in Adelaide for so many years. I can understand moving to another location in Adelaide, but getting the government to up their operations interstate is a bit ridiculous.
I heard that Vili’s made a similar threat when land acquisition near their Mile End HQ was uncertain.

The reasoning being that their interstate operations are developed enough that it would be easier to convert one of them into their main HQ than move to a whole new location in Adelaide.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6107 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:44 am

I read it as government wasn't paying relocation costs so they decided to sell off the equipment interstate. However seems like there's enough confusion here to point to the Daily Mail being typically misleading.

ChillyPhilly

#6108 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:13 pm

The latest Project Update was letterboxed to surrounding suburbs last week, and is also available online:

https://www.t2d.sa.gov.au/engagement/document-library
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6109 Post by rev » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:19 am

Major milestone reached in SA’s River Torrens to Darlington Project

The $15.4 billion River Torrens to Darlington Project has celebrated a milestone with work on the first construction project now complete.

@DylanHogarth7
2 min read
January 22, 2024 - 8:09AM

A major milestone in the ambitious $15.4 billion River Torrens to Darlington Project (T2D) has been reached with work on the first construction project on the corridor now complete.

Work on the new Selgar Ave link road has finished, connecting motorists to southern Adelaide’s Tonsley Innovation District and southbound lanes of South Road.

The work forms part of the federal and state government’s T2D project which will create a non-stop, 78-kilometre north-south corridor between Gawler and Old Noarlunga.

The new Selgar Ave link road allows vehicles to make a right turn onto South Rd from Selgar Ave via MAB Circuit and Tonsley Boulevard.

The $2.8 million main construction of the Selgar Ave link road was delivered by local civil engineering company Bardavcol and provides another entry point into the Tonsley area from South Rd, in addition to the existing Tonsley Boulevard intersection.

The new link road is essential for improving local area access and connectivity with the Torrens to Darlington (T2D) motorway and South Rd corridor.

State infrastructure and transport minister Tom Koutsantonis said he was excited to announce the first T2D intersection and road upgrade was complete.

“This package is delivering additional network and amenity upgrades along and around the 10.5-kilometre Torrens to Darlington Project to ensure the proper functioning of the motorway and wider road network both during and after construction,” he said.

“The newly constructed Selgar Ave link road will allow southbound motorists to turn right from Selgar Ave onto South Rd, which is a great outcome particularly for businesses operating in the Selgar Ave-Drury Tce area.

“The two-way link road provides an extra entry point into the thriving Tonsley Innovation Precinct that is rapidly expanding with commercial and residential development.

“This is the first taste of the improved road network connectivity being delivered as part of the biggest infrastructure project in South Australian history.”

Federal Member for Boothby Louise Miller-Frost said construction work was continuing on other parts of the T2D Project.

“The Australian Government is pleased to be partnering with the South Australian Government to enhance Adelaide’s southern access links to the Torrens to Darlington motorway project,” she said.

Other early works across the T2D Project are progressing well, including the completion of the nearby Tonsley East Substation, which is set supply electricity to the tunnel-boring machines (TBMs) and then to the two parallel four-kilometre-long southern tunnels once they are completed in 2030, she said.

The facility, which was built by SA Power Networks and its subsidiary Enerven, is located on the site of the former Mitsubishi building fronting South Rd and will constitute part of the project’s Southern Laydown Area.

The Australian and South Australian governments are delivering the $15.4 billion T2D Project on a 50:50 basis.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 71977e7bc7

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#6110 Post by mattwinter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:21 pm

Not to be too negative but feels like a serious amount of hype for a short neighbourhood road that for some reason costs 3 million :lol:

I think I remember a Utopia episode or two where the governement just needed to find some positive annoucements to show progress.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6111 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:44 pm

mattwinter wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:21 pm
Not to be too negative but feels like a serious amount of hype for a short neighbourhood road that for some reason costs 3 million :lol:

I think I remember a Utopia episode or two where the governement just needed to find some positive annoucements to show progress.
Some politicians are happy to come to the opening of a letter and make an event out of it.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#6112 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am

How would the tunnel work in regards to petrol stations and underground fuel tanks particularly around St Marys ?

SBD

#6113 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:48 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am
How would the tunnel work in regards to petrol stations and underground fuel tanks particularly around St Marys ?
A good question. My expectation would be that the tunnels will be deeper than that if they go under that area. Owning land includes enough depth to dig an underground tank, but not deep enough to go mining. I'm not sure what the exact depth is (if it's defined). I assume the tunnels will be deep enough they are in state government crown dirt if/where they pass under private property.

Llessur2002

#6114 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:56 am

Filling station tanks aren't typically particularly large or deep, whereas the tunnels will be at least 10m below ground level so I can't see there will be any risk of the two meeting.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#6115 Post by Goodsy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:59 am

Eurostar wrote:
The tunnels would be several meters below any tanks in the ground.. they wouldn't be using TBM's that close to the surface

[email protected]
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6116 Post by [email protected] » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:52 pm

The longest tunnel in the world is 57km long and goes from Switzerland to Italy underneath alps. It took 17 years to build.
South Australian labor party in 2010 …. Hold my beer
Attachments
IMG_0419.jpeg

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6117 Post by rev » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:42 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:59 am
Eurostar wrote:
The tunnels would be several meters below any tanks in the ground.. they wouldn't be using TBM's that close to the surface
Better hope it's quite a bit deeper then several meters.

This happened a couple days ago in Sydney on the M6 tunnel being built.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bui ... 5f90c.html

abc
Legendary Member!

#6118 Post by abc » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:53 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:42 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:59 am
Eurostar wrote:
Better hope it's quite a bit deeper then several meters.

This happened a couple days ago in Sydney on the M6 tunnel being built.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bui ... 5f90c.html
yikes :shock:

SBD

#6119 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 am

Clearly, that's not supposed to happen. I don't think we've heard yet the result of any investigation to determine whether the cause was operator error, failure of the geotechnical analysis or something else. Whatever, the cause will be known before the SA tunnels start, so any lessons can be learned and acted on to avoid an SA repeat of this and the Snowy Mountains failure.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#6120 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:03 am

Sydney is the city of the rubber stamp, where construction and gambling firms alike are afforded the opportunity to audit themselves and confirm they've done nothing wrong