[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1241 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:57 am

drsmith wrote:The Western Ring Road image above to me looks like it has an emergency stopping lane although to be honest, I wouldn't like to be broken down there and unable to climb the wall to escape potential stray vehicles doing 100 km/h.

The Torrens to Torrens trench doesn't appear to have emergency stopping lanes from the video animation. Another factor in relation to the posted speed limit is the ramps. Longer ramps would be required for acceleration/deceleration with higher speed and in regards to that, stopping distance increases in proportion with the square of the speed.
I believe the Gallipoli Underpass is engineered for only 60km and not more.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1242 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:12 pm

Well, they probably need to modify the entry and exit paths of the underpass anyway.

rubberman

#1243 Post by rubberman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:24 am

ChillyPhilly wrote: I believe the Gallipoli Underpass is engineered for only 60km and not more.
That is possibly so, but if you compare that to the Goodwood Road underpass, which certainly feels ok at 60km/hr, it's probably a very conservative design.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1244 Post by rockthenation » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:07 am

I think 60km/h for the Gallipoli underpass is definitely conservative.
Drove past T2T yesterday, looks like the remaining properties on the corner of South & Grange Rds have been acquired.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1245 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I would assume 100 is more than possible safely through the underpass. But for trucks using the ramps, 60 is probably the fastest they can slow down safely at, hence the 60 design speed.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ChillyPhilly

#1246 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 am

I'm no engineer, but is the gradient of the Gallipoli Underpass permissive for speeds over 60 k's an hour?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1247 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:07 am

The Funeral home has a sign up saying relocating in August. They must be the last ones to go.

[Shuz]

#1248 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:18 am

I'm no engineer either, but I would certainly say so. Compare the gradient of the Goodwood Underpass with no emergency stopping lanes and bridge pylons in the middle of the through fare, to the gradient of the Gallipoli Underpass, with a single deck bridge span and emergency stopping lanes. Both have 60kph speed limits. I think it's fair to say you can easily do 80kph. I don't know about 90 or 100, though?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1249 Post by rev » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 am

If you enter the underpass at 60kph, and don't ride the break(in an auto), you're going to hit 70-80kph anyway. I do it everytime unless there's a cop around.
Hit the accelerator and I'm cruising through there at 90 with no worries.
The biggest problem is the idiots who panic and struggle because they are heading downwards. They then hit the up slope of the underpass and forget they have to use their accelerator. Which if you are doing 70-80-90...you take your foot off the accelerator and by the time you reach ground level again you're doing around 60.
It'll be crap if the government place a speed camera in there though. :lol:

claybro

#1250 Post by claybro » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:21 am

Looking further down the track with this corridor, things will certainly be interesting heading south of the Torrens to Torrens section. The newley completed Brickworks will require access, and the recently developed community centre on the opposite corner. Hmm, do we demolish the new entry to brickworks, and a community centre less than 3 years old....or do we knock over the pub on the opposite side?? Goes to show the stupidity of not having a clear path secured for the last decade or so since this was decided to be the major North/South route.Interesting times.

[Shuz]

#1251 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:08 pm

claybro wrote:Looking further down the track with this corridor, things will certainly be interesting heading south of the Torrens to Torrens section. The newley completed Brickworks will require access, and the recently developed community centre on the opposite corner. Hmm, do we demolish the new entry to brickworks, and a community centre less than 3 years old....or do we knock over the pub on the opposite side?? Goes to show the stupidity of not having a clear path secured for the last decade or so since this was decided to be the major North/South route.Interesting times.
Actually, I suspect that from where the Torrens to Torrens ends just before the Torrens River, to the bit before the Ashwin Parade intersection, will be the entry point for a tunnel portal for this particular section of the North South Motorway. This means they would have to take out part of the cemetery and all the industrial warehouses on the block between South Road and Ware Street (the eastern side) between the Torrens River Ashwin Parade. The Torrens River might have to be slightly re-rerouted to the north to allow for the gradient, but I think there should be enough lead in after crossing the river to Ashwin Parade.

All through Thebarton and Mile End - most of the properties on South Road are heritage listed. It would be political suicide to demolish these, hence the only option is to tunnel. I think the pub on the corner may have to go... we'll see.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#1252 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:53 pm

In this article (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-28/b ... an/6578614) about the new Bald Hills Rd Freeway interchange, there is a small section hinting that funding for the Northern Connector could soon be on its way.
Mr Briggs said it would make sense to prioritise the Northern Connector project, a proposal to link the Northern Expressway with the South Road Superway, given that other parts of South Road would be congested with construction work in the next few years.
This got me thinking.. The NC will be built on the saltpans and wetlands, with this area likely needing to be built up before work can begin. The T2T section will obviously be a trench with a heap of dirt coming out. Putting 2 & 2 together, is this the likely location for soil excavated for the T2T section? Could the hinted funding be used to begin basic site works for the NC?

What about Darlington? A similarly large amount of dirt also needs to be excavated from here..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1253 Post by rev » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:15 pm

You'd hope they'd have enough sense between them to agree to get the NC started ASAP as well.
Let's hope. Mulligan would want to get as much done as possible on a positive note as he's a potential future leader of the Labor party.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1254 Post by bits » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 pm

I think the pub is heritage listed and I highly doubt they will dig up a cemetery to build a highway. But a tunnel is possible.

Northern connector is surely high on the list due to the ability to sell large amounts of land for new houses and business which will also supply local workers and demand for new business on the land north of port river expressway.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1255 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Some more details regarding the Torrens to Torrens construction schedule have been released.

Read the presentation by the contractor here: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... inal_2.pdf