[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1321 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Norman wrote:The actual excavation of the lowered road won't start until August 2016. The construction of the rail bridge will start in March 2016 and finish in early 2017. They are closing the Outer Harbor and Grange lines late in October to prepare for the shift to the temporary track, and I would say the switch to the temporary track will happen over the Easter long weekend.
The newer buses (from the 1990s) will be on Rail Substitute services, not those shabby old Mercedes buses that have endured mass 'enslavement' from the city to Noarlunga!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1322 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:24 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Norman wrote:The actual excavation of the lowered road won't start until August 2016. The construction of the rail bridge will start in March 2016 and finish in early 2017. They are closing the Outer Harbor and Grange lines late in October to prepare for the shift to the temporary track, and I would say the switch to the temporary track will happen over the Easter long weekend.
The newer buses (from the 1990s) will be on Rail Substitute services, not those shabby old Mercedes buses that have endured mass 'enslavement' from the city to Noarlunga!
The ex-O-Bahn Mercedes are sitting around Southlink depots ready to be used as rail replacements once again I've heard.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#1323 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:
I would give my left and right nuts to ride on those mercs again. Best buses Adelaide has ever had.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

EBG

#1324 Post by EBG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:19 pm

There were 2 excavators and a large heap of dirt on the south west corner of Grange Rd and South Road today 6 Oct 2015.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1325 Post by rev » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:36 pm

Concrete barriers/fencing has gone up around the Torrens Rd area so I'd say work proper is about to kick off. Finally.

Nathan

#1326 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:48 pm

rev wrote:Concrete barriers/fencing has gone up around the Torrens Rd area so I'd say work proper is about to kick off. Finally.
Barriers are up on Port Rd as well, pretty much from Queen St Croydon up to around Anne St Hindmarsh.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1327 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:02 pm

A heap of road closures too (pretty much every second side street's been blocked off long-term).

Stuff's getting real folks!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1328 Post by rev » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Brucetiki wrote:A heap of road closures too (pretty much every second side street's been blocked off long-term).

Stuff's getting real folks!
It's about time, after decades of waiting for a serious upgrade to this stretch of road in the neighborhood, it's finally bloody happening. :applause: :banana: :cheers:

bits
Legendary Member!

#1329 Post by bits » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:22 am

What is up with the land at 84 south road between Grange and torrens river?

For as long as i have known it has been a vacant lot with an out of place brick fence and large sunken section of the large vacant site.

They are currently digging it out to a fair deep depth. Maybe as deep as the lowered motorway?

Is the soil contaminated? What was there before?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1330 Post by Goodsy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:41 pm

St Kilda road is either closed or has traffic restrictions from the 12th to 19th, Northern Connector related maybe?

bits
Legendary Member!

#1331 Post by bits » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:31 pm

bits wrote:What is up with the land at 84 south road between Grange and torrens river?
Ok let me answer myself.
According to this
http://www.cordellconnect.com.au/public ... uid=546165

It was a Nursing Home called Linsell Lodge, another place with the same name is run by the salvation army in angle park.

According to
http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webda ... 202015.pdf
It is likely being turned in to a detention basin. In the process the contaminated soil can be removed?

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1332 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 pm

bits wrote:
bits wrote:What is up with the land at 84 south road between Grange and torrens river?
Ok let me answer myself.
According to this
http://www.cordellconnect.com.au/public ... uid=546165

It was a Nursing Home called Linsell Lodge, another place with the same name is run by the salvation army in angle park.

According to
http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webda ... 202015.pdf
It is likely being turned in to a detention basin. In the process the contaminated soil can be removed?
How/why would a retirement home have such contaminated soil?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Llessur2002

#1333 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Depends what it was before a retirement home

ChillyPhilly

#1334 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:51 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Depends what it was before a retirement home
But it should have been remediated before the retirement home was built. Unless that wasn't a legal requirement back then.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#1335 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:But it should have been remediated before the retirement home was built. Unless that wasn't a legal requirement back then.
I guess it depends when the retirement home was built - standards were more lax back in the day. Plus, sites tend to get remediated based on the end use - e.g. a domestic dwelling with a garden which could potentially be used for planting vegetables would need to meet higher standards than a commercial premises without soft landscaping. Of course if the retirement home was built a long time ago then it may be that there were no standards for it to meet at all.

Either way it's just speculation at this point - there may be no contamination at the site...