News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#3001 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:22 pm

Aidan wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:00 pm
There’s no need to extend the crosswind runway. Crosswinds are a problem for small aircraft, but not for anything too big for the existing crosswind runway length.

If and when a second parallel runway is needed, it would probably end west of the southern end of IKEA. A few buildings would have to be demolished, but none of great value.

Though current regulations require parallel runways to be equal length, that’s both economically and environmentally unsuitable for Adelaide airport as the bit of Patawalonga Creek in its path is the only remaining part in anything like its natural state. Regulations can be changed, or exceptions made.
Keeping the runway entirely east of Tapleys Hill Road would be far more practical. It would be sufficient to accommodate all the intrastate flights and some of the interstate ones, freeing up space on the main runway for longer range and higher capacity flights.

AAL’s alternative plan is to have some of the intrastate flights use Parafield instead.

ISTR some land near Riverlea was set aside for another airport. Is it still?

Bullett trains to Melbourne, including stations at an airport in the upper SE and at Melbourne Airport, are the best long term solution IMO.
The master plan definitely indicates the third runway would most definitely pass Tapleys Hill Road, but would also much encroach on the business and terminal district. I don’t think it’ll be a small runway by any stretch of the imagination.

“Land is reserved within the Runway, Tapleys, Terminals & Business and West Beach precincts for a future third runway. The third runway is planned to be located parallel to the main runway and on the western side
of Terminal 1.”
Attachments
IMG_0383.jpeg

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#3002 Post by Mr Smith » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:11 pm

Aidan wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:00 pm

Bullett trains to Melbourne, including stations at an airport in the upper SE and at Melbourne Airport, are the best long term solution IMO.
What kind of fantasy land do you live in mate?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3003 Post by AG » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:21 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:22 pm
The master plan definitely indicates the third runway would most definitely pass Tapleys Hill Road, but would also much encroach on the business and terminal district. I don’t think it’ll be a small runway by any stretch of the imagination.

“Land is reserved within the Runway, Tapleys, Terminals & Business and West Beach precincts for a future third runway. The third runway is planned to be located parallel to the main runway and on the western side
of Terminal 1.”
Third runway is definitely workable with some changes to existing roads and property. Most visible impacts would be on the golf course at West Beach, Tapleys Hill and West Beach Roads would need to move into tunnels under the runway, the industrial buildings on National Drive, and even the northern end of Harbour Town would likely need to be resumed for taxiways.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3004 Post by Saltwater » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:50 pm

There will be no second runway at Adelaide airport. Any political party advocating for it would face electoral obliteration across the western and northern suburbs.

As it stands the main runway at ADL is something like 30% utilised, so it will be several decades at least before serious questions arise about another solution.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3005 Post by rev » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:31 pm

In what parallel universe does a Adelaide Airport, which saw just over 4 million passengers in the previous financial year, need or have a second main runway built, when Melbourne's Tullamarine handled nearly 23 million passengers in the previous financial year also with a single main runway?

Is there any actual news or updates regarding the airport? You know, like the first flight to Vietnam from Adelaide today?

rev

#3006 Post by rev » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:49 pm

Adelaide to Vietnam flights take off
NEWS
The first flight of a new service between Adelaide and Vietnam took off this morning, with five return flights a week now scheduled between South Australia and Ho Chi Minh City.

ADELAIDE
Wednesday, Nov 22, 2023

The inaugural Vietjet flight left Adelaide Airport this morning.

The new service leaves Adelaide every weekday at 9:55am, flies to Perth and then on to Ho Chi Minh City.

Return flights leave Ho Chi Minh City on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday, flying to Perth before arriving in Adelaide.

The return trip costs around $280 at the moment, and takes about 10 hours each way.

Vietjet said it was the first Vietnamese carrier to fly into South Australia. The Adelaide and Perth flights more than double the airline’s weekly Australian flights to 58.

Vietnam is South Australia’s 12th largest export destination, with exports to Vietnam having increased by 32 per cent in the year to September.

Adelaide Airport managing director Brenton Cox said ticket sales for the new route had been strong since it was announced in October.

“Vietnam has been a focus of ours for some time and we’re delighted that Vietjet has recognised the opportunity to add Adelaide to its network,” he said.

“We are confident the strong economic and tourism links between Vietnam and South Australia will translate into significant interest in these flights.”

Tourism Minister Zoe Bettison said the flights opened up “significant opportunities” for the state.

“Greater access to key tourism and trade markets in Asia is hugely valuable, with tourism in the Asian region currently worth $602 million to our state and exports to Vietnam now worth almost half a billion dollars a year,” she said.
[/img]
https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/11/22/ ... -take-off/

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3007 Post by Aidan » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:56 pm

Rev and Mr Smith,
I'm merely thinking on a longer timescale than the 30 years that many people limit themselves to. I'm not suggesting a second runway will be built any time soon. Nor bullet trains.
But I am presuming continuing high population growth.

VinyTapestry849, yes they have a compliant plan for a parallel runway. My point is a non compliant plan would be environmentally and economically superior.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3008 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:31 pm
In what parallel universe does a Adelaide Airport, which saw just over 4 million passengers in the previous financial year, need or have a second main runway built, when Melbourne's Tullamarine handled nearly 23 million passengers in the previous financial year also with a single main runway?

Is there any actual news or updates regarding the airport? You know, like the first flight to Vietnam from Adelaide today?
In what parallel universe will grumpy rev ever open up a google tab and double check his comments lol. Tullamarine doesn’t have a Seven and a half hour curfew overnight forcing it to jam all its flights into a smaller then optimal daylight period like us, it operates 24/7 from is remote location and is much older than Adelaide Airport. And Adelaide handled just under 8,000,000 last year.

Vietjet’s arrival is good, but also irrelevant. It’s a tiny carrier. What AP should be doing is allowing Asia Air X to start its Kuala Lumpur - Adelaide route (which they really want to do), and allow other airlines to do the same. The point of this billion dollar airport expansion and possible third runway is to make Adelaide Airport larger, more inviting, and accessible to major carriers. When the expansions complete, Adelaide airport could be looking at a London to Adelaide route or a New York to Adelaide route by 2050, if the current growth projections continue. The reason the expansion is happening now is because growth is actually exceeding the projections. Airport management were due to start the airport terminal expansion in the late 2020s, but have brought that forward. E.g. during the AFL gather around, there were not nearly enough gates to fill the flights that were coming into Adelaide, and as a result some were delayed or cancelled as a result. There just wasn’t enough space in the terminal. That’ll change soon.

rev

#3009 Post by rev » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:11 am

Elon Musk will setup a space port here for direct flights to Mars.

Ho Really

#3010 Post by Ho Really » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:38 pm

Playing a little catch up on this topic...
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 am
[...]

The recent piece done by InDaily regarding the inadequacies of Adelaide's PT and more specifically our rail network showed the preferred route by the lobbying body for getting a tram to Adelaide Airport, which involved a spur line from the Port Road/James Condon Drive intersection and running it along there, using a mixture of stormwater corridors, median strips and quieter Western Suburbs roads to make it happen, and I think that's the real winner. So long as there are lobbyist putting these more efficient ideas out in the mix, the more likely we are to see it happen when the absolute need is there.
Patrick have you seen my input on this? I've been advocating the Keswick Creek for over twenty-five years; way before I registered on this forum back in 2006. Have a look at my post here in the Adelaide Metro Trains thread.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#3011 Post by Ho Really » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:23 pm
Using Keswick Creek as a right of way for a tram has many drawbacks that I think rule it out:

[...]
But what about the advantages? Take a look at my post here in the Adelaide Metro Trains thread.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3012 Post by Saltwater » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:24 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:40 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:23 pm
Using Keswick Creek as a right of way for a tram has many drawbacks that I think rule it out:

[...]
But what about the advantages? Take a look at my post here in the Adelaide Metro Trains thread.

Cheers
In reference to the plans you posted, it's unclear to me whether the blue line is below or above ground, but assuming it's below-ground under Mile End South as you don't want to wipe out the Villi's factory, RAA building etc, and need to get across the James Congdon / South Road intersection, it's not clear where it returns to surface level given it needs to get across the NSM, which will be in a trench through that section next to Hisense stadium, and at some point you want to return to level-grade, along the creek corridor, which makes this very challenging.

Not saying it can't be done - Singapore built MRT stations along the Rochor Canal, but as soon as that level of engineering is introduced, cost benefits of using that corridor quickly disappear.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3013 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:29 pm

On my way to the airport and this is the exact shit I’m talking about lol. Would pay for a train/tram any day. Some of you might talk about the north south corridor reducing some of this strain. well the north south corridor won’t be completed by the time at the airport expansions completed. We need a train or tram now/soon. This is pathetic for an Australian capital city.
Attachments
IMG_0410.jpeg

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3014 Post by Saltwater » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:45 pm

Again my point is how we build a tram or train in the short term, when there will be a motorway under construction within the vicinity through to around 2022.

The Marion Rd / SDB intersection upgrade should allow *some* relief in alleviating that bottleneck.

rev

#3015 Post by rev » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:35 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:45 pm
Again my point is how we build a tram or train in the short term, when there will be a motorway under construction within the vicinity through to around 2022.

The Marion Rd / SDB intersection upgrade should allow *some* relief in alleviating that bottleneck.
This is a failure by governments.
Everything that's done is looked at/approached as stand alone. There is no thought beyond that project, that piece of roadway. How many times do you see brand new roads, or footpaths, ripped up? Too often in this state.

Why isn't there some sort of vision or master plan of sorts, that shows us what they want to do? I mean, other then our speculation that they have no idea and no plans and it's all made up as they go along.
Why isn't there a graphic, a map of greater Adelaide, South Australia even, showing what infrastructure will be built or improved upon, where new public transport will be laid down etc?

Something like that, would help bring in investment to the state as investors would be able to see where the state is headed.