The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1201 Post by rev » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:46 pm
abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:28 am

OK - a quick summary from skimming Antic's Twitter feed. You are welcome to add to the list from your checks.
  • Parliament has become as Woke as ABC Headquarters
  • The Senate has rejected sending his Childhood Gender Transition Bill to commttee
  • An interview with Chris Kenny complaining about vaccine mandates
He's a senator, so these are all Federal issues, but the attitude is a concern for centre-right Liberal voters.
but rubberman called him "extreme right wing"
What did you find to suggest otherwise?
Are you actually suggesting someone like Alex Antic is "extreme right wing" ?

Not aiming this at you SBD, but this is a tactic used by the radical left (not to be confused with the left wing, just like someone who is a conservative shouldn't be confused with a radical nationalist), use to try and shut down opposing views. Very dangerous and bordering on fascism.

But this is the problem now we have in western societies, the extreme groups in politics which not even 10-15 years ago were not even on the fringes of domestic politics, are now at the front of the pack.
Screaming at each other that the other is dangerous and a threat and should be banned. They should both be banned and society can return to normality.
Whats extreme though is skirting the constitution with state legislation and infringing on peoples rights.
People need to worry more about their own lives and less about what someone else is doing with their life.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1202 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 pm
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm

but rubberman called him "extreme right wing"

Not aiming this at you SBD, but this is a tactic used by the radical left (not to be confused with the left wing, just like someone who is a conservative shouldn't be confused with a radical nationalist), use to try and shut down opposing views. Very dangerous and bordering on fascism.

But this is the problem now we have in western societies, the extreme groups in politics which not even 10-15 years ago were not even on the fringes of domestic politics, are now at the front of the pack.
Screaming at each other that the other is dangerous and a threat and should be banned. They should both be banned and society can return to normality.
Whats extreme though is skirting the constitution with state legislation and infringing on peoples rights.
People need to worry more about their own lives and less about what someone else is doing with their life.
I think many people's "policy position" is far more nuanced than can easily be projected to a single left-right axis. People's position on that one axis could be different depending on the topic of the day.

I've never seen a serious attempt to quantify a position on that axis, so we can't define "centrist" as "plus or minus half a standard deviation from the mean", centre-left and centre-right as "0.5 to 1.0 standard deviations", left/right as 1 to 2 SD and extreme as >2 standard deviations. Without an agreed objective measure, we might all agree that the right end goes centre - centre-right - right - far-right - extreme-right but we'd get no agreement on exactly where the boundaries between each group are, and even where the "centre" is.

By most measures, Antic would be one of the furthest right of SA's current federal politicians, so if 5% is "extreme", he's probably the extreme right SA member of federal parliament.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1203 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:24 pm
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:

I think many people's "policy position" is far more nuanced than can easily be projected to a single left-right axis. People's position on that one axis could be different depending on the topic of the day.

I've never seen a serious attempt to quantify a position on that axis, so we can't define "centrist" as "plus or minus half a standard deviation from the mean", centre-left and centre-right as "0.5 to 1.0 standard deviations", left/right as 1 to 2 SD and extreme as >2 standard deviations. Without an agreed objective measure, we might all agree that the right end goes centre - centre-right - right - far-right - extreme-right but we'd get no agreement on exactly where the boundaries between each group are, and even where the "centre" is.

By most measures, Antic would be one of the furthest right of SA's current federal politicians, so if 5% is "extreme", he's probably the extreme right SA member of federal parliament.
Words matter chief...
Right-wing extremism is an overarching term defined by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) as 'the support for violence to achieve political outcomes relating to ideologies, including but not limited to, white supremacism and Neo-Nazism'.
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament ... o%2DNazism'.

rev

#1204 Post by rev » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:

True. I've been called names by both sides :lol:

Antic might be further right then others in federal politics, but that doesn't go to say he's "extreme".

If you listen to what he says, it's mostly just a lot of common sense. Of course that also depends on ones position them selves. But there's nothing there that could be deemed extreme by anyone being serious.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1205 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:33 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:

Words matter chief...
Right-wing extremism is an overarching term defined by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) as 'the support for violence to achieve political outcomes relating to ideologies, including but not limited to, white supremacism and Neo-Nazism'.
SBD you don't get off that lightly.

SBD

#1206 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:33 pm
abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm
SBD wrote:

Words matter chief...
SBD you don't get off that lightly.
OK, so he might be at the end of the South Australian Members of Parliament, but he's not as extremist as that.

I wouldn't put either him or Sarah Hanson-Young very high in my preference list. There are a few dropkick candidates who would be ranked even lower.

rhino

#1207 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Saying that someone is probably the extreme right member of federal parliament can also be construed as the furthest right. That's how I read it. ASIO might say that Extreme right is fanatical, but I don't believe we have any fanatics in our federal parliament.
cheers,
Rhino

abc
Legendary Member!

#1208 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:02 pm

gotta love this back pedaling :applause:

rhino

#1209 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:15 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:02 pm
Not at all. The extreme right of anything is the furthest right of that thing. But as others have said, you do you, I really don't care.
cheers,
Rhino

rev

#1210 Post by rev » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:22 pm

rhino wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:55 pm
Saying that someone is probably the extreme right member of federal parliament can also be construed as the furthest right. That's how I read it. ASIO might say that Extreme right is fanatical, but I don't believe we have any fanatics in our federal parliament.
It's loaded language, and it influences people and used to shut down opposing views.

The sooner all the extremes of whatever side of politics are routed out of our political system, the better off this state and country will be for everyone who calls SA & Australia home.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1211 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:23 pm

rhino wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:15 pm
abc wrote:
Not at all. The extreme right of anything is the furthest right of that thing. But as others have said, you do you, I really don't care.
You need to consider the consequences of using such slurs. You cant go around calling someone extreme right wing or a right wing extremist then claim it was all an innocent misunderstanding.

rubberman

#1212 Post by rubberman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:23 pm
rhino wrote:
abc wrote:
You need to consider the consequences of using such slurs. You cant go around calling someone extreme right wing or a right wing extremist then claim it was all an innocent misunderstanding.
Who is doing that? There's a dictionary meaning for extreme. I would say that if someone is on the wing of a party that's the furthest, either right or left, then it falls within the meaning of extreme as per the dictionary. Were we to trawl back through posts on this forum, I bet that someone has labelled people in the left faction of the Labor Party as extreme too. With nobody crying crocodile tears.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1213 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm

rubberman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm
abc wrote:
rhino wrote:

Who is doing that? There's a dictionary meaning for extreme. I would say that if someone is on the wing of a party that's the furthest, either right or left, then it falls within the meaning of extreme as per the dictionary. Were we to trawl back through posts on this forum, I bet that someone has labelled people in the left faction of the Labor Party as extreme too. With nobody crying crocodile tears.
You are doing that.

rubberman

#1214 Post by rubberman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:54 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm
rubberman wrote:
abc wrote:

You are doing that.
So, you are offended by someone using a dictionary definition. Not sure what can be done then.

SBD

#1215 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:12 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm
rubberman wrote:
abc wrote:

You are doing that.
Neither Rubberman nor I called Antic "extremist". I said he was at the "extreme right" of SA federal politicians. You have not demonstrated anyone else is further right, nor demonstrated Antic is centrist. Being re-/mis-interpreted is tiring. No wonder others have given up.