The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1186 Post by rubberman » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:11 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:14 pm
rubberman wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:39 pm
abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:57 am

can you answer my original question or not?
Can you google "National Right Faction".

If you are too lazy to spend ten seconds informing yourself via Google, it's not my problem. Anyone else interested enough will do so, and see what I was saying. Anyone not interested, I won't bore with something they don't care about.
So you can't answer my question. That figures.
Look. If you can't connect the dots between someone being a member of the right wing faction of a right wing party, and their likely politics, there's simply nothing to be done to help you. And since others can check it out and decide who is right, that's good enough for me.

What part of the guy being on the right wing of a right wing party is difficult to understand? It's not like he would dispute it. I'm sure he's proud of his political position.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1187 Post by abc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:25 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:11 pm
abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:39 pm

Can you google "National Right Faction".

If you are too lazy to spend ten seconds informing yourself via Google, it's not my problem. Anyone else interested enough will do so, and see what I was saying. Anyone not interested, I won't bore with something they don't care about.
Look. If you can't connect the dots between someone being a member of the right wing faction of a right wing party, and their likely politics, there's simply nothing to be done to help you. And since others can check it out and decide who is right, that's good enough for me.

What part of the guy being on the right wing of a right wing party is difficult to understand? It's not like he would dispute it. I'm sure he's proud of his political position.
its just a label you've applied...its meaningless unless you can provide some substance

rubberman

#1188 Post by rubberman » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:59 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:25 pm
rubberman wrote:
abc wrote:

its just a label you've applied...its meaningless unless you can provide some substance
No, it's a label Antic has applied to himself. Quite happily. If it's meaningless, or you don't understand, he has a website.

I must say that your refusal to expend the slightest bit of effort in informing yourself doesn't help you. People will fact check you, say "err nope!" and then ignore later statements.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1189 Post by abc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:29 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:59 pm
abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:

No, it's a label Antic has applied to himself. Quite happily. If it's meaningless, or you don't understand, he has a website.

I must say that your refusal to expend the slightest bit of effort in informing yourself doesn't help you. People will fact check you, say "err nope!" and then ignore later statements.
no you called them "extreme right wing"

once again, its a label you applied and yet cannot provide any substance to

rubberman

#1190 Post by rubberman » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:57 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:29 pm
rubberman wrote:
abc wrote:

If you are struggling to understand, try using a dictionary. Words have meanings. I really can't help you if you aren't prepared to make even the tiniest effort.

When I was at school, I had little time for those kids who never made an effort to understand, and then blamed the teachers for not being able to learn. I see no reason to change now.

As I said, it suffices that anyone wanting to check Antic out can do so. I'm quite confident that others will see my point...because they are prepared to make some effort.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1191 Post by abc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:57 pm
abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:

If you are struggling to understand, try using a dictionary. Words have meanings. I really can't help you if you aren't prepared to make even the tiniest effort.

When I was at school, I had little time for those kids who never made an effort to understand, and then blamed the teachers for not being able to learn. I see no reason to change now.

As I said, it suffices that anyone wanting to check Antic out can do so. I'm quite confident that others will see my point...because they are prepared to make some effort.
you talk some shit

rhino

#1192 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 am

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 pm
you talk some shit
Pot. Kettle. Black.
cheers,
Rhino

SBD

#1193 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:28 am

abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:
abc wrote:

OK - a quick summary from skimming Antic's Twitter feed. You are welcome to add to the list from your checks.
  • Parliament has become as Woke as ABC Headquarters
  • The Senate has rejected sending his Childhood Gender Transition Bill to commttee
  • An interview with Chris Kenny complaining about vaccine mandates
He's a senator, so these are all Federal issues, but the attitude is a concern for centre-right Liberal voters.

rubberman

#1194 Post by rubberman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:48 am

The Dunstan by election is being covered by the Pollbludger website.

https://www.pollbludger.net/

And the ABC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-23/ ... c_news_web

And the Electoral Commission

https://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/elections/20 ... y-election

The consistent message across all of them is that with half the vote counted, there's been a huge swing from the Liberals, a smaller, but still significant swing from Labor, and a huge swing towards the Greens. That means that for the Liberals to retain the seat, the next half of the votes counted will have to completely reverse the swing of the first half. That's a pretty unlikely prospect according to the Pollbludger who gives it a 1% chance.

My personal feeling is that there were two major issues impacting the poll. The first was the Dutton nuclear proposal, and its support by Speirs. This could explain the extra green vote. The next was the publicity about Senator Antic rolling Anne Ruston for the plum Senate position. I suspect some moderate Liberals simply wanted to register a protest, and this by election was an opportunity.

At this rate, however, the Greens are in a position, as in similar electorates interstate, that they have the momentum to be the major contenders vs the ALP, and the Liberals relegated to the third party.

SBD

#1195 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:19 am

rubberman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:48 am
The Dunstan by election is being covered by the Pollbludger website.

https://www.pollbludger.net/

And the ABC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-23/ ... c_news_web

And the Electoral Commission

https://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/elections/20 ... y-election

The consistent message across all of them is that with half the vote counted, there's been a huge swing from the Liberals, a smaller, but still significant swing from Labor, and a huge swing towards the Greens. That means that for the Liberals to retain the seat, the next half of the votes counted will have to completely reverse the swing of the first half. That's a pretty unlikely prospect according to the Pollbludger who gives it a 1% chance.

My personal feeling is that there were two major issues impacting the poll. The first was the Dutton nuclear proposal, and its support by Speirs. This could explain the extra green vote. The next was the publicity about Senator Antic rolling Anne Ruston for the plum Senate position. I suspect some moderate Liberals simply wanted to register a protest, and this by election was an opportunity.

At this rate, however, the Greens are in a position, as in similar electorates interstate, that they have the momentum to be the major contenders vs the ALP, and the Liberals relegated to the third party.
Your conclusion about the Greens relegating Liberal to the third party is a bit of a push given that the Liberal candidate still has the highest number of first preference votes.

One thing we can't tell is if Liberal votes are leaking to the Greens. It could be that Liberal are leaking to Labor, and Labor votes are also leaking, to Greens. I agree the Dutton and Antic antics (sorry!) are pushing the perception of the Liberal party to a place a lot of voters might not wish to follow. There was no "teal", SA Best or Centre Alliance candidate to draw votes from "between" Liberal and Labor. I suspect that the absence of any candidate in that space makes it harder to draw conclusions from the outcome.

I thought it was odd that Peter Malinauskas has been carrying on that it's important to change the law before the next general election so that the results could be finalised on the weekend of the election. I checked back to the 2022 election, and at this point in the count, Cressida O'Hanlon was about 140 votes in front of Stephen Marshall. If it's so important now, why hasn't the availability of additional funding to the ECSA and rules for counting prepoll and absent votes been a priority already? I think the last federal election started counting local prepoll votes at 6pm on election night which would probably make the Dunstan result clearer, but possibly still not definitive. People just don't count perfectly accurately late on a Saturday night if they've been working since 7am that day!

abc
Legendary Member!

#1196 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:28 am
abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:

OK - a quick summary from skimming Antic's Twitter feed. You are welcome to add to the list from your checks.
  • The Senate has rejected sending his Childhood Gender Transition Bill to commttee
He's a senator, so these are all Federal issues, but the attitude is a concern for centre-right Liberal voters.
but rubberman called him "extreme right wing"

SBD

#1197 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:46 pm

abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:

What did you find to suggest otherwise?

abc
Legendary Member!

#1198 Post by abc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:46 pm
abc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm
SBD wrote:

What did you find to suggest otherwise?
so you're telling me that rejecting childhood gender transition, rejecting mandatory vaccination are "extreme right wing positions"?

this is what Hitler did is it?

rubberman

#1199 Post by rubberman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:12 pm

Back to politics, does anyone know when the counting is going to resume?

SBD

#1200 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:25 pm

rubberman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:12 pm
Back to politics, does anyone know when the counting is going to resume?
How many prepoll centres were there? Were prepoll votes handled as an additional ordinary polling place or as a lot of declaration votes?

If it's an ordinary polling place, then the staff will have to empty all the ballot boxes, unfold the papers and stack them by first preference. The website is unlikely to get an update until all the first preferences have been sorted.

If they were enormous numbers of declaration votes, I'd expect more frequent updates, but a lot more time required in checking the declarations.