News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2741 Post by Vee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:28 pm

david wrote:The agenda which Stephen has been delivering over the past four years was the work of a group of Councillors who were elected in 2007 of which I am proud to be counted as one. We turned the Council around and set a new and exciting direction which led to major projects such as Victoria Square, Rundle Mall, Victoria Park, laneway activation and many more.

I was Deputy to Stephen for 2 years and we worked very effectively together - the young and the old! - to deliver a whole new urban framework for the city based on the needs of people (Jan Gehl) and a better balance between pedestrians, cyclists public transport and the motorist.

There is a lot more to be done but we need to be wary of those forces that would wind the clock back to the 1980s or give undue influence to the big end of town. We need to keep moving forward and to strike a reasonable balance between all the stakeholders in the city.

I am running for Area Councillor and I hope for your support.

David
And to add to David's post above, here is one from Stephen Yarwood - below.
As the race for the next Lord Mayor heats up, LM Stephen Yarwood's blog post certainly resonates with me.

I have been unimpressed by the regressive ideas, lack of vision of other LM candidates - with some worse than others? Yarwood has been inspirational in the role, working with others, including David, and our city is much more progressive and vibrant, in tune with 21st century planning and design principles under his leadership.

Will old media and the establishment turn back the clock and stymie change or will Adelaide embrace the vision as outlined by Yarwood in the post below. We need 'Awesome Adelaide'.
'We must retain our youth' - Stephen Yarwood
There has been much discussion around change in Adelaide recently. Some people have been critical of new cycling infrastructure, street art, laneway bars, music in our park lands and food trucks hitting our streets and squares.

However, the old Adelaide is the city young people have been leaving in droves. We have all heard references to Adelaide being boring and the ‘brain drain’ heading east. I am often told I need to address this issue in the same conversation where I am told that some of the changes in Adelaide are not popular.

Demographic data says we are in serious trouble if we do not arrest the decline in young people leaving South Australia. Our economic future depends not only on keeping them here, but also attracting the best and brightest from around the world. In a world where there will be cities with “old economies” and “new economies”, we must do everything we can to remain relevant.

The truth is, whether we like cycling or street art is not the point, the vast majority of younger people clearly do. They are desperate for transport options, more entertainment and a more colourful life in the heart of our city.

That is why council has supported initiatives like a “Live Music Action Plan”, “Night Time Economy Plan” and a “Digital Strategy”. We have also rolled out one of the best free Wi-Fi networks of any city worldwide, supported new small bar legislation, encouraged food trucks and let the street artists have a fair go on lots of walls that were previously blank and hence boring.

Council has also invested in social media communications and developed a Digital Hub in our new City Library that includes free training for small businesses.

If Adelaide is to truly prosper, we must create an entrepreneurial ecosystem that supports the next generation. This includes creating small businesses that are relevant in the 21st century and that means our creative industries and information economy combining to make Adelaide an international destination for ideas and investment.

Adelaide must adapt to attract and retain young people. We have no choice and we need to look beyond our own needs and value this strategic imperative. If Adelaide does not become ‘cooler’, we will be a retirement city with an old economy in decline. A place our children and grandchildren leave for greener pastures.

We need to think about our next generation of leaders and our city’s future. A future where many entrepreneurs wear jeans, ride bicycles, play in rock bands, populate our cafés and create the industries of tomorrow.

So before ‘having a go’ at what is happening in Adelaide and opposing change that is not exactly to your own liking, I would encourage you to ask yourself not if you like it, but if your children and grandchildren will like it.

Our prosperity is largely dependent on them saying ‘Adelaide is awesome’, so let’s all have an open mind towards the Adelaide future generations will inherit and engage younger people in the future of this great city.
http://stephenyarwood.com/2014/09/must-retain-youth/

Get behind Stephen and David. Spread the word for 'Awesome Adelaide'.

SaltyPete
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Sturt St west trees. Please?

#2742 Post by SaltyPete » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:47 pm

I live in the south west of the CBD and am a little surprised that wide avenues on this side of the city like Sturt st have not got a strip with trees down the middle. There are numerous advantages to these that I won't go on about now, but what I would like to understand is why it is suitable for say, Halifax St, but not Sturt St. I know that with the eventual tram down the eastern end of Sturt St this is not a good idea, but what about the western end from the square to West terrace?
Can someone enlighten me?

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2743 Post by jk1237 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 pm

well what a surprise. The Advertiser cretins have started a childish smear campaign against Yarwood, as if on q. News Ltd are truly pathetic

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2744 Post by dsriggs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm

jk1237 wrote:well what a surprise. The Advertiser cretins have started a childish smear campaign against Yarwood, as if on q. News Ltd are truly pathetic
From the ABC:
Former South Australian Liberal leader Isobel Redmond has used parliamentary privilege to detail what she says was an expletive-laden tirade launched against her by Adelaide's Lord Mayor.

Ms Redmond told Parliament that in 2013 she was running late for a function at Government House when she ran into Mayor Stephen Yarwood, who was heading to the same event.

She said she made a provocative comment to the Lord Mayor blaming the council and the state government for delays in getting into the city.

Ms Redmond said Mr Yarwood responded with a "tirade of abuse" and called her an "effing c".

Mr Yarwood said he did not make the comments and would never say such things to anyone.

Ms Redmond's allegation comes just six days from the start of Adelaide City Council elections, for which Mr Yarwood is re-contesting.

"The attack, which deteriorated to an unending torrent of verbal abuse, continued right across the six lanes of King William Street, across the slip lane, through the front gate [to Government House] where I just smiled at the guard as the abuse continued," Ms Redmond said.

"Make no mistake, Madam Deputy Speaker, when I say abuse, I really mean abuse.

"Without putting too fine a point on it, he called me an 'effing c'."
I'd argue that'd make Yarwood an honest politician, but whatever...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2745 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 pm

So really the story here is that Isobel Redmond has misused her parliamentary privilege for at least the second time this year.
Keep Adelaide Weird

metro
Legendary Member!

#2746 Post by metro » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:47 pm

metro wrote:
Matt wrote:God, I hope Yarwood is reelected.
Faces a big obstacle in The Traumatiser though - expecting them to do a few more hatchet jobs on him yet.
Dont worry, the Advertiser will probably dig up some nasty shit, anything to bring him down. Sex Scandals (can be easily fabricated too) are pretty effective, look how well it worked with Mike Rann. :roll:
well we saw that one coming didn't we, now all we need is Indaily to join in with some more anti-yarwood articles :roll:

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2747 Post by dsriggs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:50 pm

SRW wrote:So really the story here is that Isobel Redmond has misused her parliamentary privilege for at least the second time this year.
Also that she's happy with blaming everybody else for her not leaving home on time.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2748 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:02 pm

If this happened out on the street as she said, then surely you would think people would have seen it, and given that it's the lord mayor and a former opposition leader, it would have made news at the time. The fact that that didn't happen, automatically casts doubt over the story.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2749 Post by david » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 pm

The Redmond story is a complete fabrication according to my sources.
Councillor David Plumridge's Notes - Issue 121

- Significant Energy Efficiency and CO2 Reductions in the City

- Vote 1 David Plumridge for Area Councillor

- Policy versus Promises

- Decisions from Council Meeting 14 October 2014
Notes from Councillor Issue 121.pdf
(309.01 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Cllr David Plkumridge AM
Area Councillor,
CITY OF ADELIADE

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2750 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Another day... another anti-Yarwood article. This time it's regarding a Liberal hack who apparently had to put with a tirade of abuse from over a year ago. Though if the abuse was that bad or in her own words "I really mean abuse" then why didn't she report it the media or the police?. And really, blaming the state government and council for delays getting into the city?. How about you improve your time management skills and quit your whinging considering the South Australian taxpayers more than likely paid your journey into the city.

The truth is, this is nothing more than a fabricated scandalised attack on a man that has far more vision and leadership than what Isabel Redmond ever had for this state.

I can not imagine the frustration it would be to in Stephen Yarwood's shoes. Here's a passionate man, that has shown a strong vision than any other Lord Mayor and yet he has continuously been falsely accused, criticised and ridiculed for just about everything. He's got to be the most patient person in Adelaide.

Other cities would jump at the chance to have him lead their city.... which the local media will then cry foul and whinge that he left for greener pastures. Oh Adelaide

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2751 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:42 am

It gets better...

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7090442962
“However, the trip, particularly along Pulteney St and North Tce was so slow that ... more than an hour and a quarter after I had left home, I was standing on the footpath outside Parliament waiting for the walk sign to cross King William St feeling somewhat rushed and annoyed.”
“I am sure I speak on behalf of many, in fact the vast majority, when I say that those of us who choose to live in the many pleasant suburbs of this wonderful city are increasingly frustrated by the incessant moves to keep us out of the city unless we are prepared to travel by public transport or pushbike.
Once again more hogwash, this lady is hilarious. Considering there is no bus lanes on either Pulteney Street or North Terrace, maybe perhaps your journey from Stirling was delayed thanks to motorists like yourself that have the mentality that Adelaide is just one big country town. Complaining about traffic congestion and then complaining about the council and State Government trying to ease congestion by encouraging public transport and bicycles makes little to no sense.. But then again it is one of the policies of mayoral candidate Michael Henningson to make the CBD car friendly, isn't that right buddy ol pal?

She recalled the interchange was on a Friday evening around 5pm.
The End.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2752 Post by Will » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am

From a business perspective I understand why the Advertiser will be running an anti-Yarwood campaign. The most read articles on Adelaide Now tend to be those which bash Adelaide. Thus, someone whom has improved the city and therefore reduced the ability of the Advertiser to run Adelaide bashing articles is obviously not good for business. They would prefer someone with a pissant agenda be elected so that they can return to the glory days of frequent negative articles.

And then there is the ideological perspective. The Advertiser is an inherently conservative newspaper. Although not belonging to a political party, I suspect Yarwood is on the left of the political rainbow. Thus, the Advertiser would prefer "one of them" be elected rather than the "outsider" Yarwood.

Llessur2002

#2753 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Mark Hamilton on Radio Adelaide this morning.

Makes for pretty depressing listening.

https://radio.adelaide.edu.au/wp-conten ... milton.mp3

Nathan

#2754 Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:14 pm

He goes on about the second floor of buildings along Hindley St and Rundle St being empty. What city is he in? Speaking for Rundle St, the upper levels are pretty much all occupied. I'm sure most of Hindley St is the same.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2755 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Mark Hamilton on Radio Adelaide this morning.

Makes for pretty depressing listening.

https://radio.adelaide.edu.au/wp-conten ... milton.mp3
He says that Adelaide is traditionally a 20 minute city. So his solution to keep that tradition going is to encourage more drivers on the roads.

This guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. I live on the second story of Rundle street in a heritage building. There's already residences, cafes, restaurants, offices, nightclubs along here in the upper levels. Even some of the basements around here are leased to businesses. There's not much empty space, apart from the normal turnover of closed small businesses. Rundle Mall is in a similar position. Most of the upper floors are utilised, again apart from the turn over of closed small businesses. Hindley Street has been another story, but in recent times this has seen a recovery.

He's rambling out his ignorant arse.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.