News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2761 Post by obituary resider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:03 pm

he keeps going on about changing the building code... isnt that a state government directive anyway?

david
High Rise Poster!

#2762 Post by david » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Another aspect of the 1960's vision of how Adelaide City Council used to be is a picture of all the big decisions being made in a smoke-filled room at the Adelaide Club over a vintage port and a cigar (no women allowed) That is where some candidates seem to be trying to take us !

I reckon the worth of a Lord Mayoral candidate is in direct inverse ratio to the number of polluting posters they put up in our streets! I reckon Stephen made a conscious decision to show more respect for our environment, for which I commend him.

To put in a personal plug for myself I have attached a Special Issue of my Notes. I hope that those of you who have a vote in the city will VOTE 1 FOR DAVID PLUMRIDGE FOR AREA COUNCILLOR
SPECIAL NOTES 2014.pdf
(153.48 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
David Plumridge AM
Area Councillor
City of Adelaide

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#2763 Post by phenom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:00 pm

crawf wrote:
Are there any decent candidates this year?, other than Yarwood.
I'm probably a bit torn. I've lived (and continue to live) in the south-west of the CBD for over ten years and every local election I have the same issue. The candidates seem to fall into one of what I consider two clear camps.

Camp A - stop all development ('no high rise!' - referring to six storey buildings and above), more heritage controls, more spending on 'community events' with low visibility, freeze the city in aspic so people already here can keep living their 'suburb in the city' lifestyle indefinitely (ie stop developments over how 'sympathetic' a building is, taken to extremes), anti-car to an extremeand

Camp B - abolish everything designed to gently prod the city into being more liveable, obsessive focus on $ spent (not recognising the value in activating and enlivening the city through events as much as building), usually very tightly (uncomfortably so) linked to certain political parties/views which I can't get with

I'm basically in between really. Mainly Camp A minus the obsessive and as I see it, backward, focus on building controls. There are already more than sufficient protection for 'genuine' heritage buildings and height/etc controls in current low rise residential parts of the city. There is no need to 'undo' the changes made which have struck a better balance between development/economic activity and preserving/protecting lifestyle. And yet, I read the brochures stuffed in my letterbox the last couple of weeks with despair.

I've voted for Yarwood previously but am not sure if I feel he's moved a bit more towards Camp A than I like - he might be trying to push Adelaide where it's not quite ready to go just yet.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2764 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:09 pm

phenom wrote: I've voted for Yarwood previously but am not sure if I feel he's moved a bit more towards Camp A than I like - he might be trying to push Adelaide where it's not quite ready to go just yet.
If Adelaide isn't ready now, then when will it be?... The other major four cities have leapfrogged over Adelaide over the past two decades, and now we are finally playing catch up. It would be disastrous to slow down the progress being made in the city.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2765 Post by skyliner » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm

When we left Adelaide to live near Brisbane in 1986 I remember the pop.stats for Adelaide made it the third largest city. (a few 1000 ahead of Brisbane and over 100000 ahead of Perth). We were the third largest for almost 100 years straight at one time. Yes, the others have leapfrogged us, but... as they did it can happen the other way round - mining made Perth And Bris. develop - a very unexpected factor.

Heres hoping we stay on the current trend and don't revert to the mid eighties slow down.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2766 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 pm

In the past two days I've had two letters from Mark Hamilton accompanied by the same glossy four page brochure. He seems to be throwing a tonne of money at this bid.

The first was about "the redevelopment of the existing RAH site;" in part:
...As Lord Mayor I would push hard for the re-usable portions of the former Royal Adelaide Hospital to be used for private hospital use, on a long term lease basis, with the balance of the land returned to the Park Lands and the Botanic Gardens. This would involve retention of all heritage buildings on the site.

Only this use will at least partially replace the significant economic benefit which East End traders receive from the vast number of workers and visitors to the hospital site each day. School children would not be permitted to visit the East End - and will not have any spending power in any event...
The second is speaking about the total removal of Frome Street bike lanes and opposing any extension to North Terrace of same; and "...the removal of city bus lanes, or at least the restricted operation of such lanes to 1.5 peak hour operation".

Interestingly, as a post script to both letters he breaks one of the gentleman's rules of politics:
PS. Two candidates for Lord Mayor, kelly Henderson and Martin Haese, have no Adelaide City Council experience- in fact, not even experience on a local council. It would, in my opinion, be impossible to be a fully effective Lord Mayor of our State's capital city without the experience and knowledge derived by having spent at least one term on Council.
Also his how to vote card for Lord Mayor:
1. HAMILTON, Mark Eric
2. HENNINGSEN, Michael David
3. HAESE, Martin
4. YARWOOD, Stephen
5. HENDERSON, Kelly

And area councillors:
1. WILKINSON, Alexander (Sandy)
2. MORAN, Anne
3. PLUMRIDGE, David
4. CLARKE, Ralph
5. SIMMS, Robert
6. MALINI, Natasha
7. LEWIS, Gareth
8. RUSSO, Remo
9. SCALI, Vincent
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2767 Post by ml69 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 pm

skyliner wrote:When we left Adelaide to live near Brisbane in 1986 I remember the pop.stats for Adelaide made it the third largest city. (a few 1000 ahead of Brisbane and over 100000 ahead of Perth). We were the third largest for almost 100 years straight at one time. Yes, the others have leapfrogged us, but... as they did it can happen the other way round - mining made Perth And Bris. develop - a very unexpected factor.

Heres hoping we stay on the current trend and don't revert to the mid eighties slow down.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Skyliner ... I think you'll find that Perth overtook Adelaide's population in 1984, and Brisbane was already well ahead of our population in the mid 1980's.

Agree that mining has subsequently put the population growth of Perth and Brisbane into overdrive whilst our manufacturing based economy has lagged badly.

In my opinion it will require massive oil discoveries in the Great Australian Bight and/or massive mineral discoveries in the Woomera basin along with the development of Olympic Dam for Adelaide to rise above the national average of population growth.

The history of Adelaide and SA's population growth is that we have always lagged most of the other larger states for the majority of our existence ... hence the reason why we are a small state. The only exception to this was the Playford era in the 1950's and 1960's when the SA economy outperformed the rest of the country due to the rapid growth of manufacturing. We need another economic catalyst (ie energy & mining) before our population growth outstrips the national average.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2768 Post by Wayno » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 pm

I received this email from Yarwood today:
yarwood-pitch.png
yarwood-pitch.png (522.03 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2769 Post by Wayno » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Go here for a browser version of the above email from Yarwood:

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=322 ... 0fe255b092
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2770 Post by jk1237 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 pm

I got my voting pack today and I voted for Yarwood, so there is another of support for him. Geez I hope those 2 senile conservatives don't become lord mayor, please no

david
High Rise Poster!

#2771 Post by david » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 pm

And I hope you voted for PLUMRIDGE 1 for Area Councillor

David

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2772 Post by Waewick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 pm

jk1237 wrote:I got my voting pack today and I voted for Yarwood, so there is another of support for him. Geez I hope those 2 senile conservatives don't become lord mayor, please no
it really disturbing that conservatism is so bloody strong in this state.

don't get me wrong, conservatism isn't a bad thing, it just seems that we have a huge number of ultra conservatives.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2773 Post by crawf » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:39 am

Or we just have a very loud vocal minority who have way too much on their hands.

Majority of people want Adelaide to continue to progress but also preserve its uniqueness
... or they simply don't care and are actually enjoying their lives unlike the individuals on The Advertiser website who still have their calendars set to 1954.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2774 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:01 am

david wrote:And I hope you voted for PLUMRIDGE 1 for Area Councillor

David
yep. done :-)

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#2775 Post by obituary resider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:55 am

Anyone seen the car round the city that Hamilton has plastered with advertising? I shouldve taken a photo. Thought it was very appropriate that he was advertising on a car :|