News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2841 Post by Wayno » Tue May 19, 2015 3:55 pm

appreciate your passion peachy. I've liked your ideas and replied to one of your pieces. Will reply more when i get the time.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2842 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:10 pm

ACC have released their Draft 2015/16 Integrated Business Plan - you can read it, and submit your views on it here:

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/Draft-15-16-IBP

Have had a quick read through in my tea break - nothing revolutionary - lots of stuff about the 'back to basics' road, footpath, lighting and drainage maintenance. Still quite a few mentions of improved cycling infrastructure which is nice - I especially like the promise of a 'public bike share scheme feasibility study' which I think would work well in Adelaide. Live Music Action Plan gets a mention, working with State Government to improve public transport gets a nod.

Will have a more thorough read tonight. Well, actually, I'll be in the pub tonight. I'll read it tomorrow. Afternoon. Probably...

Nathan

#2843 Post by Nathan » Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2844 Post by Vee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:36 am

The ACC has extended its green scheme, and significantly broadened its scope, from subsidies for residential only to now include small business, offices and schools.

City Council triples green scheme
Small businesses, office buildings and schools in Adelaide’s CBD will for the first time be eligible for subsidies on solar power and other green technologies after Adelaide City Council voted to triple its environmental incentives scheme last night.

Since 2008, an annual $50,000 incentives scheme has allowed city residents to claim council subsidies on solar panels, solar hot water systems and rainwater tanks.

Last night, the council voted to increase funding to the Sustainable City Incentives Scheme to $150,000 a year, expand eligibility to include businesses, office buildings and schools and broaden the number of green technologies available to be subsidised.

Area councillor and former Greens media adviser Robert Simms told InDaily that “traditionally, businesses have been less likely to take-up solar than residents, yet they are more significant carbon emitters”.
“By making this scheme available to businesses and involving schools and office buildings, there’s an opportunity for us to really make even more progress with bringing down emissions and get closer towards carbon neutrality,” Simms said.

“We know that there are less solar photovoltaic installations in the CBD than in the broader metropolitan area.
“These changes (will) encourage green innovation and really strengthen Adelaide’s status as a leader in sustainable business and technology.

“Battery based energy storage for instance, is a new and emerging area and it’s great to see council recognising that potential and getting ahead of the pack.”

Adelaide City Council’s program manager for city sustainability and park lands Adrian Stokes said residents produced just six per cent of the city’s carbon emissions, and expanding the scheme to businesses, office blocks and schools would significantly improve the city’s chances of reducing its carbon footprint.

“By picking up the rest of the community, we’re really getting serious about targeting the major sources of carbon emissions in the city,” he said.

From next month, the scheme will offer new subsidies for solar power battery storage and electric car charging stations and energy monitors, and expand subsidies on LED lighting, solar hot water, rain water tanks.
Stokes said the council was likely the first government organisation in the country to offer subsidies solar power battery storage.
InDaily:
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/06/17/c ... en-scheme/

Waewick

#2845 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:02 pm

However, South Ward Councillor Alex Antic, Area Councillor Anne Moran and Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad told InDaily their experiences, and those of their constituents, conflicted with some of the report’s findings.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/06/23/c ... -findings/

Sometimes I wonder if these guys think before they open their mouth.

Of course an indepedent report varies from people with bias and a conflict, FFS it really isn't that hard to see why some people would disagree.
Area Councillor Robert Simms said he acknowledged that there was some “community backlash” about the separated bikeway, but he accepted the findings of the report.

“The experience interstate and overseas around separated bikeways is that whernever you change the status quo with respect to transport, there’s sometimes a bit of a community backlash,” he said.

“I think that’s a natural part of any kind of reform phase.

“What the report shows is that this has been successful.

“Ultimately, members of the community recognise that we need to be looking at separated bikeways and rolling them out around our city and around the state more broadly.”

The report will be presented to the council’s Economic and Community Development Committee tonight.
Give that man a medal.

Llessur2002

#2846 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:45 am

And so it begins.

Looks like the council wants to narrow the Frome St bikeway and restore the extra two car lanes during peak hours.

Boo.
Frome Street bike lane set for changes to boost peak-hour car access, Adelaide council says

More changes planned for Frome Street in the Adelaide CBD will not remove its separated bike lane, deputy lord mayor Houssam Abiad says.

The council is keen to boost car lanes from two to four during peak periods, after expensive infrastructure changes were made just last year.

Mr Abiad said the bike lane with concrete blocks that separate it from cars was a hurried project.

"It was definitely rushed," he told 891 ABC Adelaide.

"I think it was a great project to be able to roll something out in this city, [but even a keen backer, former lord mayor] Stephen Yarwood came out and said it was over-engineered.

"There were some serious issues that need to be addressed in templating this design and rolling it [out] across the city.

"This is not a question of bike versus car, the answer is we need both and we need to find the balance.

"If we can succeed in this there will be very good community goodwill in rolling out this project across the whole of Adelaide."

A report done for the council reviewed whether the Frome Street modifications were working for cyclists, cars and city businesses, and concluded nearly two-thirds of property owners did not like the separated bike lane.

It also found traffic flow in Frome Street had reduced since the changes.

Mr Abiad is among councillors worried that some people are now avoiding the CBD and taking their business elsewhere because of issues such as bike lanes and the cost of parking.

"People forget how important perception is, people perceive that the city is anti-car, anti-parking [but] we want to invite more people to the city," he said.

"Everyone's welcome, we need to get the balance right."
Final plan being drawn up for council

Some of the concrete blocks put in last year to separate cyclists from motorists would need to be ripped up, the councillor conceded.

"Some would need to be removed, yes, but not all would need to be removed," he said.

"We have got expert planners who are coming in and telling us how this can be done with us retaining the bike lane."
The expensive separated bike lane was constructed only last year. Photo: The expensive separated bike lane was constructed only last year. (ABC: Brett Williamson)

He said a final design which boosted the lanes available for cars during peak times was expected to be given to council for consideration in September.

There is a plan for more car lanes in peak times by using the space where parking is allowed at other times of day.

Cyclists are wary of losing their safety buffer if changes are made, the chair of the Bicycle Institute Ian Redbone says.

"We are nervous about this - it would reduce the bike lane to the point where the existing street sweepers wouldn't be able to clean the bike lane," he said.

"If a kerb is retained, which it's suggested it would be, it would mean that cyclists would be lined up behind each other because they couldn't pass [due to a proposed narrower bike lane]."

Mr Redbone said the current separated bike lane had encouraged more people to ride.

"The existing situation has encouraged lots of women and younger people [to ride] because they've got that buffer that makes them feel safer. We'd be worried about losing that," he said.
From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-24/f ... atenews_sa

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2847 Post by mshagg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:56 am

It's actually mind boggling how they think they can behave like that and get away with it?

Independent expert report with documented methodologies determines that not only are bikes using the lane, but it hasnt resulted in congestion and the traffic actually flows on frome st better... Cr Moran says "Nah ive spoken to a few people who say otherwise and they pay the bills".

It just. I. How.

How can someone actually be that much of an idiot?

Nathan

#2848 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 am

For those interested, the report is here: http://ncapps.adelaidecitycouncil.com/a ... rately.pdf

The report already looked into the possibility of modifying the street to have 4 lanes at peak, and concluded it would be expensive and of no actual benefit to vehicle movements as any increase of lanes will be constrained by intersections anyway. Not to mention that it would also require narrowing the bike lane, such that you can no longer pass a slower rider within the lane, and the buffer between riders in the lane and the parking/traffic lane is reduced (which means the threat of dooring returns).

It's absolutely outrageous that personal agendas by a handful of councillors is allowed to override an expert report, and they're willing to spend ridiculous amounts of rate payers money to undo new infrastructure for no benefit other than a perception that they're catering to motorists.

Waewick

#2849 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:49 am

The question needs to be asked - how do we get rid of the ACC

it has now proven beyond doubt it is completely incapable of planning for a city with a living population.

absolutely discgraceful, and I drive a car and don't cycle.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2850 Post by rev » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:49 pm

mshagg wrote:It's actually mind boggling how they think they can behave like that and get away with it?

Independent expert report with documented methodologies determines that not only are bikes using the lane, but it hasnt resulted in congestion and the traffic actually flows on frome st better... Cr Moran says "Nah ive spoken to a few people who say otherwise and they pay the bills".

It just. I. How.

How can someone actually be that much of an idiot?
They think they can get away with it because they know they CAN.
They get away with it because they keep getting re-elected to council.
They keep getting re-elected because not everyone votes since it's not compulsory to vote in council elections.
Most people don't care about council elections.

If people want to see these relics and dinosaurs gone from council, then they need to organize and campaign against them.
There should be plenty of young people now living in the CBD to form a big enough voting bloc to knock these people out of council permanently.
What's missing is young "visionary" people to vote for in place of them, and people who vote.
You could counter them by starting a community group to rally support around someone who is the polar opposite of Moran and the rest of the circus.
An information campaign basically.

Them wanting to remove the dedicated protected bike lane pisses even me off, and I hate cyclists. :lol:
Dedicated bike lanes that keep cyclists and motor vehicles physically seperated are a bloody great idea and should be implemented throughout the whole of Adelaide.

ChillyPhilly

#2851 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Arghhhhhh. This makes me angry, and I'm not even a cyclist at all! :wallbash:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

urban
Legendary Member!

#2852 Post by urban » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:47 pm

I just signed the petition, "Adelaide City Council: Save the Frome Street Bikeway."

http://www.change.org/p/adelaide-city-c ... et-bikeway

This is one way of voicing your displeasure about the bikeway. Can i also suggest writing emails, letters, tweets, etc to the councillors even if you're not a city resident. Let them know (politely) that the bikeway is essential infrastructure that improves your experience in the city and makes you more likely to spend time there.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2853 Post by Vee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Some on the ACC seem determined to strangle / kill off some of our best recent initiatives.
Food trucks? Frome St bikeway? Royal Croquet Club?

ACC is all but destroying the safe Frome St bikeway.
4 lanes during peak hour?!?
Narrowing the bikeway to single file?
Fiasco. Short-sighted. Cars rule thinking!

Cyclists need a safe, protected, decent width cycle lane to encourage and protect them from errant motor vehicles.

And proposing restrictions on the operation of the Royal Croquet Club in Victoria Square during the Fringe?
Too successful?
Opening hours cut, early lockout.
Next?
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7410874039

realstretts
Gold-Member ;)

#2854 Post by realstretts » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:44 pm

My conversation via email with Anne Moran just now:

Me:
It concerns me greatly that the progress seen in making Frome st, a place where active transport modes (walking, cycling) can be undertaken safely, is under attack by those who are blind to independent and validated evidence that the bike way and reduction of traffic to one lane has not affected travel times for cars, nor reduced business for local businesses. Given the report found that increasing the road back to two lanes each way would have negligible impact on congestion, I am dumbfounded as to why this is seriously being considered by the ACC (and, mind you, at the cost of $350,000)!

The further claim that the small reduction in car traffic on Frome st is indicative of less people coming into the CBD is laughable - could the Councillors who made this claim support it with an independent review before money is spent reversing the progressive and innovative work that has already been accomplished?

I understand that some Councillors may find it necessary to blind themselves with political ideology before actually accepting facts in front of them. I do not understand why a majority of Councillors find it necessary to accept anecdotal evidence as fact, instead of months of data collection.

There is a big difference between a politician and a leader, likewise a considerable gap separates a group of politicians and a group of leaders. Currently the ACC exhibits the former - a bunch of politicians blinded by anecdotal 'evidence' to suit a preconceived ideology.

I sincerely hope reason prevails in this instance, and somewhere within the ACC a group of leaders can emerge.
Anne:
The bike lane will remain exactly the same as will the footpath. So cycling and walking will be unaffected. Anne
My reply:
Thank you for your response,

Could you please justify the spending of $350,000 to revert back to two lanes during peak hour, even though the independent report found it would make absolutely no difference?
Anne:
Will try to do it for much less The report didn't say don't do anything. It said do roll over curbs instead of the cement barriers and make the painted lane go across the intersection. The street will only get busier as the city grows so we don't need flower beds in usable lanes Cheers Anne
My reply:
"The report didn't say don't do anything"

But it did not say 'return frome st to four lanes" - It said doing so would make no measurable positive impact.

"The street will only get busier as the city grows"

Any well-read, sensible and knowledgeable city planner will tell you that making roads wider does not solve congestion - If I may point you to a few well researched articles that outline this phenomenon urban planners (yes, those with a qualified degree) refer to as 'induced demand':

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traff ... ed-demand/

Here is a recently published article finding that 'increased provision of roads or public transit is unlikely to relieve congestion'

http://www.jstor.org/stable/23045653?se ... b_contents

Have you read these articles before Anne? What are your thoughts? Should we really be widening roads when there is so much evidence that suggests we should actually be decreasing their width and promoting other forms of travel?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2855 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Good job realstretts, but unfortunately Anne has a one-way mind, and you're driving in the other direction.

I too just voted on change.org

460 votes already...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.