News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2981 Post by Vee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Elaine Cheng's exquisite illustrations with accompanying comments from a range of Adelaide food truck vendors.
Food trucks in Adelaide have been publicly scrutinised far too frequently. The most common blame is that they have a negative impact on existing businesses. I spent a week running around to pay these lovely people a visit ...
Includes a link to the ACC 'Have your say' survey. (Closes 28 August 2015)

http://www.elainecheng.com.au/blog/2015 ... f-adelaide

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2982 Post by Wayno » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:55 pm

From the ACC website - Mobile food van feedback to date:
From what we have heard so far, your main concerns are around the zones and fees, and the trading distance for the food trucks. We would like to further explore your ideas and suggestions on possible solutions to help us achieve a balanced outcome and understand your different points of view. You can contribute your ideas and suggestions in the Discussion Forums below.

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... ance-right

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... ood-trucks
Highly recommend everyone contribute their well argued opinions into the discussion.

Some examples of feedback provided by random folk - not me
There should be no restrictions at all. A 25m ban is bad enough, a 50m exclusion is the equivalent of an outright ban. The public does not owe the established venues a living, it is their responsibility to attract customers. If the established venues are losing customers to a better and more dynamic business nearby, it is not the public's or the council's problem. The ban is blatant protectionism which will cripple one of the most innovative developments in the city or recent years. I am not involved with any food truck businesses.
I am very concerned that the distance issue is designed to protect uncompetitive established businesses from legitimate competition. Since when does the Council's role involve micromanaging where people choose to have lunch by artificially making certain options more or less convenient? Why is the Council making policy based on giving an advantage to one set of businesses over another? Has there been any transparency about whether the people promoting these changes have links to those existing businesses, whether through donations or in their non-Council lives?
25 metres is fine. How lazy do we really believe Adelaidians are? People aren't going to food trucks because they're within 25m of another food outlet, they're going because they want to try something different. There's nothing stopping existing cafes and shops from changing their menus to meet changing tastes. Variety is good for everyone, as predicted burger shops now largely out number burger trucks. Who knows what food trend will happen next, but chances are it'll be food truck operators who take the risk first, and the entire city will benefit.
Agree, and we cant assume that all MFVs will want to go on to establish bricks and mortar businesses, though this seems to be the natural progression. The examples given of various MFV going to B&M pretty much negates the opinion that MFVs have an unfair advantage. If they had an unfair advantage Burger Theory would still be just a food truck, and would have not established a shop front. It is innovative business and appealing products and services that create success, not protected noncompetitive markets and burdening regulations.
Absolutely. And the market environment has shifted with the introduction of food trucks - lifting the bar on appealing products and services. I completely agree that this innovation should be promoted ( with competitors urged to lift their game) rather than discouraged.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2983 Post by mshagg » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Yeah I'll be emphasising some of the points i made in my initial submission.

What concerns me having read that email is the opening comment "we've been surprised by the level of feedback so we're consulting further".

How I read that is "we got a lot of feedback, none of it suited our agenda, so we'll consult further until we hear what we want".

You asked and we told you. If you're going to ignore us then take ownership of that decision and put your flawed decision making processes on display for all to see. Again.
your main concerns are around the zones and fees, and the trading distance for the food trucks.
So, everything in the consultation pack? Yes, we have concerns with everything.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2984 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:27 am

mshagg wrote:Yeah I'll be emphasising some of the points i made in my initial submission.
I saw your submission over there mshagg. Good man.

Also saw a contribution from Llessur. thanks...

Anyone else keen to contribute? only 5 minutes to help sway ACC opinion.

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... ance-right

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... ood-trucks
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2985 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:53 am

mshagg wrote:Yeah I'll be emphasising some of the points i made in my initial submission.

What concerns me having read that email is the opening comment "we've been surprised by the level of feedback so we're consulting further".

How I read that is "we got a lot of feedback, none of it suited our agenda, so we'll consult further until we hear what we want".

You asked and we told you. If you're going to ignore us then take ownership of that decision and put your flawed decision making processes on display for all to see. Again.
your main concerns are around the zones and fees, and the trading distance for the food trucks.
So, everything in the consultation pack? Yes, we have concerns with everything.

That’s certainly what they did with the Frome Street Bikeway. Build the thing then look for reasons to get rid of it to pander to the pro-car crowd. Unfortunately all of the studies and Audits showed that the bikeway didn’t negatively impact car traffic and lead to a noticeable increase in women and children cycling because they “felt safe” but that didn’t fit the agenda so another report is commissioned until presumably they get one that aligns with their pre-existing mindset? There are some councillors with a bee in their bonnet about it Antic, Moran and Haese himself were just looking for an excuse to tear it up and give back the real estate to the car(cos they need yet another lane[/sarc])

The Frome Street Bikeway is supposed to extend from North Terrace to South Terrace….just like Vic Square, I predict it will end up being half a job. Haese’s legacy is looking pretty obvious already (his first name should be Arthur not Martin. Arthur as in (h)Arf a job. Can we have Steven Yarwood back please, while not to everybodies liking, he certainly got things done. Cities around the World including New York, London and yes Melbourne are looking at increasing spend on seperated bike infrastructure. Our elected idiots are looking to undo the little bit of good work thats been done :wallbash: :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2986 Post by mshagg » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Wayno wrote:
I saw your submission over there mshagg. Good man.
Thanks Wayno, likewise on your contributions mate.

Surprised to see some people beating the drum for the establishment over there, although to be fair it's an open consultation and they have the right to share those opinions. Reassuring to see they're almost universally 'downvoted'. Have to feel for the ACC staff conducting the consultation - stuck between the rock of public opinion and the hard place of preconceived decisions by Councillors.

Still amazed that the MFVs arent making more of a concerted effort, aside from Fork's contributions. A little bit of organisation amoung them would go a long way.

Kasey - I immediately drew parallels with the Frome St debacle, too... I did my best to keep the comments on topic, but couldnt help taking a bit of a cheap shot lol.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2987 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Yeah seems I may have riled a couple of folk on the ACC forum. Lol. All good - they are being made to show their colours.

More submissions please everyone...

fork
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2988 Post by fork » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 pm

mshagg and wayno, thanks for the support and the input in the discussion forum

working on the fork submission as we speak, which aim submit and publish over the weekend

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2989 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:53 pm

In an extremely rare occasion... kudos to Anne Moran
Rainbow walk: Adelaide City Council votes in favour of Light Square pathway
August 25, 2015 9:12pm
Anthony Templeton The Advertiser

A RAINBOW walk will be installed in Light Square next year to recognise the city’s gay and lesbian community.

Adelaide City Council on Tuesday night voted in favour of going ahead with the walk, despite the protests of several members of the community who addressed the meeting to oppose the project.

SA barrister Christopher Brohier, who is also a member of Lawyers for the Preservation of the Definition of Marriage, said the council had no same-sex policy mandate, while Adelaide architect Jeremy Anderson said installing the rainbow walk next to a major road was unsafe.

The council had expected up to 100 people to show up at the Town Hall, following heated committee meetings last week, and security was increased.

But only about 30 people attended and all complied with bag checks on entry to the chamber.

Councillor Anne Moran said she had received 150 homophobic emails opposing the project.

“The people that wrote these hideous emails should be ashamed of themselves,” she said.

“I didn’t think (the rainbow walk) was needed until I read those emails.

“It’s shocking that young gay and lesbian people still have to deal with this sort of discrimination.”

Councillor Robert Simms, who is openly gay and has pushed for the project, said the council should not be intimidated.

“It really shows why a symbol like this is needed,” he said.

Councillors David Slama, Alex Antic and Priscilla Corbell voted against the rainbow walk because of its estimated $91000 cost.
Last edited by crawf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2990 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:19 pm

Bonus points for the walk also being able to be interpreted as a spectrum — in Light Square.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2991 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Cost is $91,000? Really. I'm in favour - just curious why such cost?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2992 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:15 am

crawf wrote:In an extremely rare occasion... kudos to Anne Moran
Rainbow walk: Adelaide City Council votes in favour of Light Square pathway
August 25, 2015 9:12pm
Anthony Templeton The Advertiser

A RAINBOW walk will be installed in Light Square next year to recognise the city’s gay and lesbian community.

Adelaide City Council on Tuesday night voted in favour of going ahead with the walk, despite the protests of several members of the community who addressed the meeting to oppose the project.

SA barrister Christopher Brohier, who is also a member of Lawyers for the Preservation of the Definition of Marriage, said the council had no same-sex policy mandate, while Adelaide architect Jeremy Anderson said installing the rainbow walk next to a major road was unsafe.

The council had expected up to 100 people to show up at the Town Hall, following heated committee meetings last week, and security was increased.

But only about 30 people attended and all complied with bag checks on entry to the chamber.

Councillor Anne Moran said she had received 150 homophobic emails opposing the project.

“The people that wrote these hideous emails should be ashamed of themselves,” she said.

“I didn’t think (the rainbow walk) was needed until I read those emails.

“It’s shocking that young gay and lesbian people still have to deal with this sort of discrimination.”

Councillor Robert Simms, who is openly gay and has pushed for the project, said the council should not be intimidated.

“It really shows why a symbol like this is needed,” he said.

Councillors David Slama, Alex Antic and Priscilla Corbell voted against the rainbow walk because of its estimated $91000 cost.
I love the idea! And I follow Crawfs sentiments regarding Anne Moran on this one.

Though, surely there are better locations in the city for this kind of project? Light Square already has a purpose (the burial site of Colonel William Light). I'd have thought Whitmore Square would be far more appropriate considering at the moment it's just crappy trees, a community garden and a basketball court. It could be the attraction the square needs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2993 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 am

^^Probably because the Feast Festival is based in the area.

The annual pride march also goes past here, while Arts SA and the former Higher Ground building is usually used as a venue for the festival.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2994 Post by monotonehell » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Good on Anne for her stance here.

Christopher Brohier and Jeremy Anderson can go be bigots elsewhere.

The issue doesn't affect them at all. It appears to be a pedestrian path through the square, not across a road at all? If that's true then there's no safety issue either.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2995 Post by Vee » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Adelaide City Council policy will drive food trucks out of business. (InDaily article)
Exactly!

And Lord Mayor Haese has more to say.... refer to the InDaily article - link below.
Looks like the ACC 'consultation' - report and feedback survey is just window dressing, to be ignored, like the Frome St Bikeway report?
Adelaide’s food truck program will likely collapse under proposed changes to the Adelaide City Council policy, vendors have warned.

Operators of a dozen popular city food trucks have warned “many, if not all” of them will likely be driven out of business because of planned changes to Adelaide City Council’s mobile food vendor program.

Feedback on the proposed changes closes tomorrow (Friday) at 5pm, and the Lord Mayor has indicated he may be advocating for some adjustments to the new regime.

“The proposed changes to Adelaide City Council’s Mobile Food Vending guidelines will ratchet up fees and bureaucratic entanglements on these vendors, likely driving many – if not all – out of business,” a joint statement from the operators says.

“… despite evidence that mobile food vendors have had negligible impact on existing hospitality outlets in the city, revealed in a report the Council itself commissioned, current economic circumstances have seen Council looking to shore up ‘bricks and mortar’ food and beverage businesses.

“Unfortunately the Council’s approach appears to swing the balance not only in favour of fixed businesses, but also to the detriment of mobile food vendors.”
An expert report brought to the council in April showed that mobile food vendors only generated 0.15 per cent of total market revenue in the city, having earnt around $600,000 in trade each year.

But Haese argued that there needed to be a “more balanced outcome” from the mobile food vending program.
InDaily:
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/08/27/c ... -business/