News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#601 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Other than the obvious fact it's the Advertiser, I'm a bit confused as to why the article is worded to suggest an extension of the tram line along North Terrace and into East Terrace is a new idea when it already forms part of the proposed city loop. As far as I can see, under the revised proposal the EastLINK tram would connect to the CityLINK Loop, rather than run along Grenfell Street. All they've done is cut the Grenfell Street end off of the EastLINK line therefore losing an opportunity to connect directly to the WestLINK and Glenelg lines.

A bit of a shame in my opinion and it would be interesting to find out exactly what concerns were raised at this meeting. If it's purely about traffic volumes (i.e. adding trams to the Grenfell Street mix along with buses and cars) then I would have thought that the O-Bahn improvements and EastLINK tram line would reduce the number of people commuting into the City by car from the Eastern suburbs, thus reducing traffic volumes overall.

Waewick

#602 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm

you know as part of this work (it won't be)

I'd like them to do something about Bartels Road/Pirie Street and East terrace/Hutt street

The intersection is bit of a mess, largely because many people coming down bartels want to go on to Hutt.

There is a two lane turning lane onto Bartels from Hutt, but not the otherway round.

Not sure how, but it would be nice.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#603 Post by AG » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Waewick wrote:you know as part of this work (it won't be)

I'd like them to do something about Bartels Road/Pirie Street and East terrace/Hutt street

The intersection is bit of a mess, largely because many people coming down bartels want to go on to Hutt.

There is a two lane turning lane onto Bartels from Hutt, but not the otherway round.

Two left turn lanes, perhaps?

Waewick

#604 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:51 pm

AG wrote:
Waewick wrote:you know as part of this work (it won't be)

Two left turn lanes, perhaps?
well yes, there is always that.

[Shuz]

#605 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:42 am

I get the feeling that the decisions already been made to go along North Terrace then East Terrace through to the Parade - which makes sense for now, if the East Link trams were to take advantage of the third platform at West Terrace and use that as the line terminus.

A few advantages - it then opens up access along North Terrace with 2 or 3 stops to service the museum / art gallery, university and old RAH sites, thus providing a much needed East - West link along the city's busiest pedestrian routes. And also services the East End adequately, especially during festival season.

It benefits the buses for now, which will continue to have unfettered right of way along the Grenfell and Currie street corridor.

It appeases the small vocal minority... for now. And appeases the silent majority either way.

It kickstarts, in small part, a part of the City Loop.

It gives the Government a lifeline to be able to do the rebuild of drainage issues that were raised a month or two ago along the North Terrace section of the line, by lumping it in with the new works, and thus minimising disruption to commuters. Rather than having two shutdowns.

When West Link is announced and formally commences construction, which I would assume would take place after the City Loop has been built, then it would make sense to redirect the trams along Currie and Grenfell streets, and emphasise the use of that route as the CBD ' primary public transport through fare.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#606 Post by rubberman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 am

If there is an extension, can we please avoid those stupid centre island stops?

The main disadvantage of the central stop is that they cannot be used by buses.

Most advanced tram systems which have trams and buses allow buses to run over the tram track and use the same stops. So, for example, trams and buses could have used the tram lane in King Wm St, Nth Tce, and down to the Port Road. Not only speeding up the buses, but taking buses off the other lanes in King Wm, Nth Tce, etc making itt a win for motorists and, other buses. And, yes there's room to do it if buses are switched to the tram reservation and a couple of bus stops removed as a consequence.

The following youtube shows how the experts do it. The point just after 1 minute is the most relevant, although the tram and bus bits before that are interesting.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4rCadSsdHDg

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#607 Post by fishinajar » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 am

[Shuz] wrote:...A few advantages - it then opens up access along North Terrace with 2 or 3 stops to service the museum / art gallery, university and old RAH sites, thus providing a much needed East - West link along the city's busiest pedestrian routes. And also services the East End adequately, especially during festival season...

It kickstarts, in small part, a part of the City Loop...

When West Link is announced and formally commences construction, which I would assume would take place after the City Loop has been built, then it would make sense to redirect the trams along Currie and Grenfell streets, and emphasise the use of that route as the CBD ' primary public transport through fare.
Agreed. Maximum benefit now and doesn't disrupt the current uses of Grenfell. Future line along a future Grenfell and Currie Streets transit corridor, once the loop is complete and self sufficient, and once there is a WestLink to link to.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#608 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 am

I always thought the tram loop should go through Wakefield St and Grote st thereby having access to the middle section of the city, opening this up to more economic opportunities, also accessing Vic square. the Central Markets and Bus Station before continuing on by looping to North Tce. A West Link would also go down Sir Donald Bradman Drive and end at the Airport and/or Henley Beach. I believe a user here named Victorious posted a similar plan which included an East Link through the Parade.

Why should the tram loop go through Grenfell and Currie as opposed to Wakefield and Grote? It is only a 3-4 minute walk from Currie/Grenfell to North Tce trams... Wouldnt it make more sense to have the tram loop running through the middle of the city to make this area more accessible? Im sure there are good reasons why Grenfell and Currie have been recognised. Let me know why you think this is, I am certainly not close minded.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#609 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 pm

HeapsGood wrote:...I am certainly not close minded.

:cheers: (just stirring)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#610 Post by fishinajar » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:08 pm

HeapsGood wrote:I always thought the tram loop should go through Wakefield St and Grote st thereby having access to the middle section of the city, opening this up to more economic opportunities, also accessing Vic square. the Central Markets and Bus Station before continuing on by looping to North Tce. A West Link would also go down Sir Donald Bradman Drive and end at the Airport and/or Henley Beach. I believe a user here named Victorious posted a similar plan which included an East Link through the Parade.

Why should the tram loop go through Grenfell and Currie as opposed to Wakefield and Grote? It is only a 3-4 minute walk from Currie/Grenfell to North Tce trams... Wouldn't it make more sense to have the tram loop running through the middle of the city to make this area more accessible? Im sure there are good reasons why Grenfell and Currie have been recognised. Let me know why you think this is, I am certainly not close minded.
Wakefield/Grote would certainly be a boon line, and would connect well to a Sir Don Line/Airport, Wakefield could also head out on Kensington one day (I dream). Would also return more financially than the more southern and meandering line being proposed for the southern part of the loop. It would leave a big gap between Wakefield/Grote Streets and North Tce however, even with West Tce, KWS and East/Hutt Streets.

HeapsGood, would you have a line on Currie/Grenfell later? Or opt for Waymouth/Pirie?

Henley Beach Rd is still the best option for a West Link in my opinion, connecting through to Henley Beach, sadly not via the airport. But as discussed elsewhere in the forums, a tram or train is not necessarily the best option for Adelaide's airport. A dedicated Sir Don line terminating at the airport would be nice however (again, I dream).

Llessur2002

#611 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:13 pm

fishinajar wrote: Henley Beach Rd is still the best option for a West Link in my opinion, connecting through to Henley Beach, sadly not via the airport.
If you're going all the way down HBR then why not branch off down Airport Road to serve the airport as well?

Nathan

#612 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
fishinajar wrote: Henley Beach Rd is still the best option for a West Link in my opinion, connecting through to Henley Beach, sadly not via the airport.
If you're going all the way down HBR then why not branch off down Airport Road to serve the airport as well?
Isn't that exactly what was included in the 30yr transport plan as the West Link?

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#613 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:49 pm

monotonehell wrote:
HeapsGood wrote:...I am certainly not close minded.

:cheers: (just stirring)
hehe no one can change my mind on the bloody Air Blade.
HeapsGood, would you have a line on Currie/Grenfell later? Or opt for Waymouth/Pirie?
Waymouth / Pirie IMO, is even better than Currie and Grenfell. But I think a tram line through Grote/ Wakefield would be the best option.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Llessur2002

#614 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Nathan wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
Isn't that exactly what was included in the 30yr transport plan as the West Link?
Exactly.

Man, I love a good bit of tram talk :banana:

stevedude95
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#615 Post by stevedude95 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:38 pm

The advertiser article makes it sound like this new tram route could be happening INSTEAD of the obahn extension, but either way, one of them will go ahead.