[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 42 Levels | Mixed Use

#481 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:51 pm

MicBara wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:52 pm
last
Is it still going to sparkle like you said mic? ✨
Attachments
IMG_0648.gif

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#482 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:09 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:06 am
MicBara wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:14 am
ml69 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:00 pm

MicBara … what are the contingency plans and Plan B if AMOSAH doesn’t receive government funding? You have to admit it’s a pretty big “if”.

Will it be additional office levels (which might be quite attractive to the new merged University)? Or perhaps luxury apartments - would be quite desirable to live on North Tce in the tallest building in the city, with access to Westin’s recreation facilities?
Dunno, we're just gonna put it all on black and spin the wheel. YOLO!

But seriously, we have two alternative plans. The first retains the current layout but amends the purpose of those AMOSAH levels in away that would allow the building to be converted to accommodate AMOSAH (or something like it). The second is a reshuffle of the floor plates for a different use.
To be honest, a reshuffle of floor plates is likely more profitable/cost effective but our preference is to keep the current framework and look at retaining flexibility. We've designed those double height floor plates so that we can "insert" extra levels if we need to.

As to what we would put in there if not AMOSAH.. well that's a secret for now because it could still be a museum of sorts.

I can confirm that the alternatives we have discounted are:
aged care facilities
industrial shed space
nuclear waste treatment facilities
manufacturing
car parking
film studios
or
sheep shearing facilities.
I'd be interested to hear more about the sheep shearing facilities. 🐑
We discounted it because sheep were never really stored on the northern side of the city. The southern parklands were often used by farmers bringing cattle for sale back and by council to keep the grass under control back in the late 1800's early 1900's so sheep shearing is more a south terrace thing in our view.

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#483 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:11 am

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:51 pm
MicBara wrote:
last
Shhh.. the lodged plans have no lighting framework. First step is get the height, heritage, traffic and use case approved.

Then we'll lodge an amendment for any last minute changes and... dazzle plans (not to be confused with dazzle land).

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#484 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:12 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:00 am
Plans are on public notification already

https://plan.sa.gov.au/have_your_say/no ... n?aid=7812
Thanks for posting that. I encourage everyone to jump on and have their say. If you like it say so!

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#485 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:26 am

Nort wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:22 pm
Are the plans for the observatory level detailed? Had a quick skim through and couldn't see info (other than the floorplan for it). Expect there will be a restaurant or bar up there?
The plans for the observation deck are pretty sparse but no there will not be a restaurant.
We've tried to keep F&B at a minimum - the building backs on Rundle Street and there are some great restaurants there.
The warm and fuzzy response is that we would rather support the existing restaurants around the building.
The economic response is that our cost per m2 is significantly higher so it doesn't make sense to compete with providers in the area who have a lower cost base.

We've done a lot of work and analysis on what works and doesn't work on public observation decks around the world and the key findings are:
1) It can't be closed for special events, it needs to be open all the time so that international/interstate tourists can reliably access the space.
2) It needs to be flexible so that it remains entertaining day and night.
3) It's incredibly expensive floor space so restaurants don't work.

The basic premise of the observation deck is to ensure that local visitors feel a sense of pride and community connection and that it changes often so it's worth coming back to.
We want interstate visitors to be surprised by South Australia's abundant offerings and for international guests to feel warmly welcomed and intrigued by the region.
No small thing.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#486 Post by Algernon » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:27 am

MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:26 am
Nort wrote:
Are the plans for the observatory level detailed? Had a quick skim through and couldn't see info (other than the floorplan for it). Expect there will be a restaurant or bar up there?
The economic response is that our cost per m2 is significantly higher so it doesn't make sense to compete with providers in the area who have a lower cost base.
Music to my ears! I have had awful experiences in observation deck restaurants and it's almost certainly because all the money went into paying the rent and the meal resembles a microwave TV dinner

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#487 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Algernon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:27 am
MicBara wrote:
Nort wrote:
Music to my ears! I have had awful experiences in observation deck restaurants and it's almost certainly because all the money went into paying the rent and the meal resembles a microwave TV dinner
Yep it's a common request/concept but when you look into the economics/business case then what you really want to do with an observation deck is get people up, wow them with something different, keep them long enough to feel like the juice was worth the squeeze, have them purchase a memento and get them out again.

To be honest, my approach to most things is just find out what others have done, what worked, what didn't. Do what worked, don't do what didn't.

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#488 Post by Prodical » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:23 pm

Amen :)

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#489 Post by Prodical » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:27 pm

Just looked at the drawings and concept submitted for planning approval.

This will be a stunning piece of architecture that will stand out for a long time in Adelaide's skyline, much like the State Bank / SANTOS / WestPac / RAA building has done for a generation.

Well done on bringing the whole concept together into a form that is pretty striking and also meets financial requirements to be solvent into the long term- and I really hope this goes ahead :)

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#490 Post by Nort » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:32 pm

MicBara wrote:
Nort wrote:
The plans for the observation deck are pretty sparse but no there will not be a restaurant.
We've tried to keep F&B at a minimum - the building backs on Rundle Street and there are some great restaurants there.
The warm and fuzzy response is that we would rather support the existing restaurants around the building.

We've done a lot of work and analysis on what works and doesn't work on public observation decks around the world and the key findings are:
1) It can't be closed for special events, it needs to be open all the time so that international/interstate tourists can reliably access the space.
2) It needs to be flexible so that it remains entertaining day and night.
3) It's incredibly expensive floor space so restaurants don't work.

The basic premise of the observation deck is to ensure that local visitors feel a sense of pride and community connection and that it changes often so it's worth coming back to.
We want interstate visitors to be surprised by South Australia's abundant offerings and for international guests to feel warmly welcomed and intrigued by the region.
No small thing.
I love this mindset so much.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#491 Post by Benm16 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:18 pm

MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm
Algernon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:27 am
MicBara wrote:

Yep it's a common request/concept but when you look into the economics/business case then what you really want to do with an observation deck is get people up, wow them with something different, keep them long enough to feel like the juice was worth the squeeze, have them purchase a memento and get them out again.

To be honest, my approach to most things is just find out what others have done, what worked, what didn't. Do what worked, don't do what didn't.

Love your thinking and your push to bring something new for the people of Adelaide. Speaking of observation decks I feel like the most successful one I have ever visited would be the Sky Garden in the Walkie Talkie in London. If you had something of that nature across the three floors that would be pretty magnificent but I am sure whatever kind of space you create will be welcomed by us all.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#492 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:19 pm

MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:11 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
MicBara wrote:
last
Shhh.. the lodged plans have no lighting framework. First step is get the height, heritage, traffic and use case approved.

Then we'll lodge an amendment for any last minute changes and... dazzle plans (not to be confused with dazzle land).
You’ll get a lot of positive support for it I’m sure.

I remember back in 2021/2 you said that construction would start in February 2024, I imagine that’s been pushed back now, or is it still on track?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

#493 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:39 pm

I hope there will be little model I can buy. I collect buildings all over the world when I visit them My favourite one would have to be of the shard in London :D

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#494 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:12 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:19 pm
MicBara wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:11 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:

You’ll get a lot of positive support for it I’m sure.

I remember back in 2021/2 you said that construction would start in February 2024, I imagine that’s been pushed back now, or is it still on track?
Pushed back I'm afraid. I think if not for the election result we would absolutely have a museum of South Australia's history and we would be on with it. A new government meant new priorities and we haven't pushed to hard for the museum and spent time focusing on perfecting the hotel. I expect the rear hall to be demolished in May and for construction to start shortly after that.

MicBara
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

#495 Post by MicBara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:13 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:39 pm
I hope there will be little model I can buy. I collect buildings all over the world when I visit them My favourite one would have to be of the shard in London :D
ABSOLUTELY. We have 3d printed models now thanks to the university of South Australia. They cost around $750 to make though.. we will get cheaper ones :D