The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#631 Post by mattblack » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:43 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:04 pm
mattblack wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:21 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Most people aren't "rolling their eyes" when it comes to cost of living pressures which aren't easing up but increasing.
Detainees or the odd boat of desperate people is not going to make a speck of difference to your cost of living argument. This race to the bottom by some is what people of all political persuasions should be lambasting.

Immigration, along with other national priority policies should be bi-partisan for the most part instead of this cheap point scoring and scaremongering.
Not sure you're quite on the same page as everyone else, but nobody is discussing illegal immigration.
I think you'll find that you're the one who linked my response to inept coalition scaremongering and ability to sell a policy to cost of living. Additoonally, i actually said Immigration policy should be bi-psrtisan to avoid this ongoing debate. Might want to check yourself first.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#632 Post by rev » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:23 pm

We're talking about immigration, specifically the high intake of migrants in the past 12 months and projected figures for the next 2 years. The cost of living etc.

One person is mentioning and fixated on illegal immigrants, thats you.

I doubt that this will clear it up for you.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#633 Post by mattblack » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:27 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:23 pm
We're talking about immigration, specifically the high intake of migrants in the past 12 months and projected figures for the next 2 years. The cost of living etc.

You missed my point entirely mate. Go back and read my original post on selling a policy which I replied to.

I think you ll find that the only people that r fixated on illegal immigration is the libs, not people like me.

Ramming you're opinion down my thoat will not clear anything up. Leave it at that.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#634 Post by rev » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:45 pm

mattblack wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:27 pm
rev wrote:

You missed my point entirely mate. Go back and read my original post on selling a policy which I replied to.

I think you ll find that the only people that r fixated on illegal immigration is the libs, not people like me.

Ramming you're opinion down my thoat will not clear anything up. Leave it at that.
You clearly want to talk about how shit the Liberal party is, but their take on illegal boat arrivals or how Labor has handled it, or what some detainee did or didn't do, is not relevant to the record numbers of (legal)migrants we've had and are projected to have, let alone does it have anything to do with cost of living etc.

Personally I think all the main parties are shit house. Bunch of self serving flogs who lost touch with reality and their constituents long ago. Politics is basically a business these days. They get into it, serve them selves and better their interests, and then walk away wealthier and better connected.

abc
Legendary Member!

#635 Post by abc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:44 am

rev wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:45 pm
mattblack wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:27 pm
rev wrote:

You clearly want to talk about how shit the Liberal party is, but their take on illegal boat arrivals or how Labor has handled it, or what some detainee did or didn't do, is not relevant to the record numbers of (legal)migrants we've had and are projected to have, let alone does it have anything to do with cost of living etc.

Personally I think all the main parties are shit house. Bunch of self serving flogs who lost touch with reality and their constituents long ago. Politics is basically a business these days. They get into it, serve them selves and better their interests, and then walk away wealthier and better connected.
I can only sigh when I see people parroting the party line of one of the majors they've read in their favourite paper or watched on their favourite party affiliated TV network...without an ounce of critical or independent thought.

Its tiresome to even attempt to have a political discussion with these people.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#636 Post by mattblack » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 pm

I'm not sure that my view of immigration (legal or illegal) should be bipartisan is exactly 'parroting a party line'. Not all posts that you don't agree with are, as the kids put it, 'woke' or 'leftist'.

I can only sigh when I see posts like this.

abc
Legendary Member!

#637 Post by abc » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:37 am

mattblack wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 pm
I'm not sure that my view of immigration (legal or illegal) should be bipartisan is exactly 'parroting a party line'. Not all posts that you don't agree with are, as the kids put it, 'woke' or 'leftist'.

sigh...I pretty sure I made no mention of 'woke' nor 'leftist' in my previous post.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#638 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:36 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:37 am
mattblack wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 pm

sigh...I pretty sure I made no mention of 'woke' nor 'leftist' in my previous post.
So who are you accusing of parroting which major party line? Most of us here seem to be pushing our own views of the world and lamenting that the major parties aren't listening.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#639 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:51 pm

“Analysis of the national accounts figures by economists at NAB found education exports, which captures spending by international students living in Australia, was equivalent to 0.8 percentage points of annual GDP growth, or more than half the 1.5 per cent annual rate in December.”

This is why I’m extremely skeptical the coalition will cut back on international student numbers.