[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Incl. 115m Tower | $800 million

#1936 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:18 am

IMO, this is the area I feel they should be building a concert hall, when the Adelaide Festival had their pop up venue in this space, it flowed really nicely with the architecture of the Festival Centre. I think a building slotted between the two white domes would really add to the centre and could still allow for passages between KWS and the Playhouse. I realise that the functions room site is what is currently earmarked for a concert hall, but surely this spot would take less away from Elder Park.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#1937 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:15 am

Subject to adequate space, the Festival site would be a good location. Not withstanding, the ultimate home for a concert hall would be adjoining the rear of a respectfully re-purposed Government House, with a beautiful footbridge over KWS to the Festival Plaza. Remove sections of the walls and fences, and give permanent entry to that green space back to the people. If we have to wait for a long time for the republic to be declared (looking more likely as time passes), move the Governor to an appropriately-scaled location elsewhere. Imagine the arrival experience to a performance as you proceed through the gardens or across the footbridge to the heritage reception rooms (food/beverage options included) which lead to the state-of-art contemporary performance space/Conservatorium. Sadly it would take more vision and courage than recent governments are capable of, but all big achievements start with a big idea.

Llessur2002

#1938 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:02 am

A few from this morning:

It seems there might be a couple of irrigation-related issues. Other than that the grassed areas are all in good shape.

claybro

#1939 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:12 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:15 am
Subject to adequate space, the Festival site would be a good location. Not withstanding, the ultimate home for a concert hall would be adjoining the rear of a respectfully re-purposed Government House, with a beautiful footbridge over KWS to the Festival Plaza. Remove sections of the walls and fences, and give permanent entry to that green space back to the people. If we have to wait for a long time for the republic to be declared (looking more likely as time passes), move the Governor to an appropriately-scaled location elsewhere. Imagine the arrival experience to a performance as you proceed through the gardens or across the footbridge to the heritage reception rooms (food/beverage options included) which lead to the state-of-art contemporary performance space/Conservatorium. Sadly it would take more vision and courage than recent governments are capable of, but all big achievements start with a big idea.
Whilst I like the idea of repurposing Gov House into a publicly accessible venue- the idea of a bridge over KWS is a definite no. In French terms it would be the equivalent of putting a footbridge over the Champs Élysées.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1940 Post by rev » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:26 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:12 pm
Honey of a City wrote:
Whilst I like the idea of repurposing Gov House into a publicly accessible venue- the idea of a bridge over KWS is a definite no. In French terms it would be the equivalent of putting a footbridge over the Champs Élysées.
A footbridge isn't out of the realm of possibility in this city. The only downside to it would be what a fucking monstrosity it will be or how poorly maintained it will end up.

We often here politicians and business group leaders gasbag about this, or that development putting Adelaide on the map, world class whatever, or how something is needed. Nobody of those people in those positions have the balls to ever propose anything major though.
For example, we could have a new rectangular/roofed arena east of Adelaide Oval, with an elevated public/pedestrian plaza with landscaping that connects it with Adelaide Oval, over the top of KWS. Astronomical cost of course, but that(astronomical cost) is what it will take to achieve what they gasbag about every so often.
Similarly with this plaza and tower. The tower is ok, certainly better then almost everything surrounding it. But the plaza? What's so great about it?
We wen't with the poor mans version of Singapore's Supertree Grove. Says it all about SA.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#1941 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:06 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:12 pm
Honey of a City wrote:
Bit of a stretched analogy on the Champs there but I get your point. Speaking of Paris though the Eiffel Tower under construction had a massively negative press in its day and is now an iconic symbol of the City of Light. It’s all about design, and elegance wins every time.

Llessur2002

#1942 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:04 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:31 am
IMO aside from being very exposed, the tiers are not deep or levelled enough to offer decent sight lines, and in any event, view only towards a bunch of utitlity boxes:

I had a look on the way past this morning and it appears the utility boxes have been moved. It must have been relatively recently as you can see the crane for the festival tower in the background of the Google image.

There is now a relatively flat area at the base of the tiers which could be used for small performances or presentations. I'm not sure what exactly, but it would be feasible.

Even if not, it's still a nice enough place to sit and it's got a great view.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1943 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:42 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:04 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:31 am
IMO aside from being very exposed, the tiers are not deep or levelled enough to offer decent sight lines, and in any event, view only towards a bunch of utitlity boxes:

I had a look on the way past this morning and it appears the utility boxes have been moved. It must have been relatively recently as you can see the crane for the festival tower in the background of the Google image.

There is now a relatively flat area at the base of the tiers which could be used for small performances or presentations. I'm not sure what exactly, but it would be feasible.

Even if not, it's still a nice enough place to sit and it's got a great view.

I don't share your enthusiasm to sit here, but really pleased to see the utility boxes have been removed! Thanks for the update.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#1944 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:42 pm
I don't share your enthusiasm to sit here, but really pleased to see the utility boxes have been removed! Thanks for the update.
Haha, I wouldn't quite call it enthusiasm and I admit I've never sat here myself but I do see people there quite often so it must have some level of appeal/convenience.

Not really saying it's a masterpiece in design and function but I'm not hugely offended by its presence. I'm sure the space could be put to better use if someone really wanted to. Another food/beverage tenancy maybe?

kurtttttttt
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1945 Post by kurtttttttt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:37 pm

long time listener first time posting a stupid crazy idea, I like i think most people think this is an ugly eye sore the postcard weather photo of our CDD and have been thinking for ages how this space could be better used, lets be honest no one in there right mind would use this ramp for purely access purposes, my current best idea is some sort of giant art work or statue, something that could represent us a people of Adelaide, in the pic ive used the statue of liberty as a placeholder but it could be something like the malls balls or the rundle mall pigeon, feel free to ridicule or dissaprove as im aware its an outh there idea
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-12 5.32.24 PM.png

Algernon

#1946 Post by Algernon » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:58 pm

Has to be the pigeon imo

abc
Legendary Member!

#1947 Post by abc » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:05 pm

will have to find a new angle for a postcard because that area has been ruined by recent development...and Light's view...the less said the better

[Shuz]

#1948 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:37 pm

Yeah, nah.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#1949 Post by Plasmatron » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:01 pm

Festival Tower (and SkyCity) catching some of that golden evening light. (9/1/2024)

FestivalTower-January2024-1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

likeperu
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1950 Post by likeperu » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:34 pm

Plasmatron wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:01 pm
Festival Tower (and SkyCity) catching some of that golden evening light. (9/1/2024)

FestivalTower-January2024-1.jpg
great shot