Costco Kilburn

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Costco Kilburn

#1 Post by ghs » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:13 am

IT’S finally here! US retail giant Costco opened its first Adelaide store at Kilburn this morning, with 100 members lining up to sample the new shopping experience.

It was a somewhat subdued welcome at 8am, but within two hours, the trolley traffic had built up.

Toilet rolls, nappies and Christmas shopping seemed to be the favourites, but some were there just to browse.

An interesting, and possibly disappointing move by Costco, was to bump up its Devondale milk price from 94.9c per litre at the media preview last week to $1.20 litre for a 10-pack today.

Mixed in with everyday groceries were golf carts, seafood from the US and Russia, on-site bakery products, jewellery and takeaway food prepared on site.

Costco members pay $60 annual fee ($55 for businesses) to shop at the store but the store is open to any walk-ins today.

The Kilburn store is Costco’s first South Australian outlet — and seventh in Australia.

Discount coupons on items, including branded televisions, laundry liquids, nappies and wipes were emailed to members yesterday.

Costco has spent $20 million on 14,000sqm warehouse at the northern side of the Churchill Centre retail precinct at Kilburn.

Keen shoppers Shane Gardiner and his wife travelled from Broken Hill for today’s opening while stay-at-home Hillbank mum Bridgette Waye made an early start on her shopping, with sons Isaiah and Logan lending a helping hand.

Costco members pay $60 annual fee ($55 for businesses) to shop at the store but the store is open to any walk-ins today.

The store has created about 280 jobs and the company reportedly took 7000 applications.

Costco’s fuel outlet opened in October and has sparked a price war among local retailers.

A second store may open in the southern suburbs depending on the success of this one.

Health Minister Jack Snelling represented the State Government at today’s opening, saying it would lead to economic spin-offs for the area.

Managing director Patrick Noone said he was “very excited by the response of the local community to our opening this morning”.

“Members have been incredibly positive and we have had thousands through the door already, buying everything from brand handbags to fresh food and seasonal items. We are happy to be able to bring competition to the market and show great value to our members.”

Shopper Kelly Barr who stayed overnight at the store to be the first one ingot a taste of Costco’s hospitality.
I visited Costco last weekend and it was packed. I was impressed by the place. For anyone looking for cheap petrol
the Shell and BP Petrol stations on Churchill road are also selling Petrol at very low prices. I bought from the Shell station
on Tuesday for $1.19. Of course you can also get cheap petrol from the Costco service station but then you have also have
to pay $60 for the membership.

The Scooter Guy

Re: Costco Kilburn

#2 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I've got my membership card today! The layout was amazing!
Can't wait to buy all those things that you can't find anywhere else!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by MessiahAndrw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Can somebody take photos (inside and from the street)? I'm excited and curious, it's close to where I used to live but I'm not living in Adelaide right now.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:41 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:Can somebody take photos (inside and from the street)? I'm excited and curious, it's close to where I used to live but I'm not living in Adelaide right now.
But it represents everything you rail against! :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy

#5 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:12 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:Can somebody take photos (inside and from the street)? I'm excited and curious, it's close to where I used to live but I'm not living in Adelaide right now.
Look on my Flickr page!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthesc ... 275455577/
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by MessiahAndrw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:16 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Look on my Flickr page!
thanks! Just what I wanted
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#7 Post by rev » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 pm

I wonder how many spas and golf buggies they've sold so far. :lol:

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:27 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Look on my Flickr page!
Thanks for the photos - the unit pricing is at best on par, and in many cases more expensive, than what you get in a regular supermarket.

Looks like their claims at being cheap are a myth.

I was thinking of checking it out, but those photos just convinced me not to, as I don't think I'll get my $60 worth.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by pushbutton » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:54 pm

I think it's just a load of hype because it's something new (to Adelaide) from the USA.

Like Krispy Kremes, it probably won't stay crowded for very long.

The Kilburn store is incredibly underwhelming. It's just a steel warehouse shed! They seem to have deliberately made it uninviting. Even painting it white (rather than tan) would have helped. Not a pleasant shopping experience at all inside, and it's not even all that big!

As has already been said, the prices aren't anything special, except perhaps if you buy stupidly large amounts of everything. I'm glad it's provided somewhere (across the road) to get cheaper petrol though.

Obviously it's aimed at people who run their own small shops, not regular people doing their private shopping for themselves and their families.

ghs

#10 Post by ghs » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Why so negative ???

I have been there a couple of times. Not everything is cheaper then coles / woolworths (eg. milk)
but many items are cheaper. Chickens are $7. Families can save a lot of money by shopping
at Costco.

I also think with the drop in the oil price last week that petrol prices will drop further
over the next few weeks and we could see petrol being sold for about $1.05 on Churchill road.

Nathan

#11 Post by Nathan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:37 pm

There's plenty to be negative about with Costco, and other big box retailers. Primarily the effects they have on local high streets and the encouragement of a car dominated suburbs and the various other issues that then creates. Throw in the Costco business model which encourages people to buy way more than they actually need.

Never mind that the area it was built could have been an excellent medium density residential/mixed use development with the rail connection and fantastic heritage buildings of the Islington Railway Workshops. Instead we have massive open air carparks and giant warehouses that turn their back on the rail lines.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by how good is he » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 am

In an ideal world this could have worked but 1)I doubt there would be enough demand to support residential/mixed use. 2) the demographics/potential sale prices achieved I think would be vey low 3) I also believe soil contamination (and cost of remediation) could have been a big issue as it would be far more onerous if it was residential and the expense prohibitive. While I think with commercial they can basically remove the top soil and seal the whole area with concrete/bitumen.
The massive vacant land on the opposite side (SW) still backs onto the railway line and is better suited/located (Opp. to Prospect) - yet there has been no activity despite big plans a few years back.
I have heard there is possibility of the Islington rail yards being used for weekend markets which may compliment the area and Aldi to be built next to this existing K-Mart where they will rip up the Carpark adjacent to join them to the mall.

ghs

#13 Post by ghs » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:23 am

Petrol prices on Churchill road are currently at $1.07 to $1.08 a litre. With the price of oil
continuing to fall we should see prices go down to $1 a litre by the end of January. Great news for
the people of Adelaide. Cheaper petrol is surely making things easier for families that are struggling
financially.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 am

I've seen it at $1.04 today, at the service station near Ikea.

ghs

#15 Post by ghs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:40 pm

99.9 cents per litre now at costco on churchill road, the oil price has dropped further over the last couple
of days, we should see prices at 90 cents per litre in early Feb.